Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hef
    I can't wait for the game tonight guys! Looking forward to seeing the 1st stringers, Jay and the RBs. I'll be jammin on 850 KOA. Thank goodness for the net or I wouldn't get radio coverage. Have fun during the game
    I'll be listening to KOA also, and getting some insights here in the Game Day thread

I dont know that I'll be able to stay awake until midnight to watch the game...but I'll give it a shot!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Quote Originally Posted by BroncFanIN
    I'll be listening to KOA also, and getting some insights here in the Game Day thread

I dont know that I'll be able to stay awake until midnight to watch the game...but I'll give it a shot!
    That is what Tivo or a VCR is for BFI

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco
    That is what Tivo or a VCR is for BFI
    *sigh* I know....but all we have is a DVD player....and it was either TIVO or Sunday Ticket.

So I went with Sunday Ticket. I figure if I can get home next Wed by 4pm, I'll be able to watch most of the game...but at least I get to listen to it!

And I'm sure there will be plenty of analysis for me to pour over on Broncomania...so I'm not too concerned!

I hope your family is doing great, Med!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Thumbs up

i wanna see how ur pro bowl qb is going to do for the first possesions, should be fun for bronco fans.

What will tonight's game tell us about young Mr. Cutler?

Yes, I know it's only preseason. And I know that there are many important battles for positions where guys will actually win playing time THIS season. But I'd be lying if I said Jay Cutler isn't the most intriguing part of tonight's game to me.

Plenty of highly touted rookies come into their first preseason playing time and look just like rookies. But what I am hoping to see from Cutler is poise under pressure. Pressure? Yep, even though it's preseason Jay knows as well as the rest of us that all his proponents and his critics are anxiously waiting to see what he does and then make mountains out of molehills. The high profile and enormous contract have created huge expectations for a generally unimportant stage.

I think that's about as much pressure as you can get from a preseason game.

Poise is what I want to see tonight. If Cutler can play efficiently and not get rattled from his inevitable rookie mistakes, if he can take a few wallops from our leaky second team offensive line and get back up like nothing happened, if he can toss a few shaky passes but get it under control and zip in some good ones, then I will feel positive about his near term success. And a lot of success at that.

Is it fair to place that much weight on a meaningless game? Is it realistic to forecast his future potential on a quarter and a half of second team, preseason football? Not really. But if Cutler is going to be as good as most of us hope he will be then I expect that he'll rise above the rookie jitters and play like a veteran whose only struggles come from learning a new playbook.

So, I don't expect tonight to be stellar for young Mr. Cutler. But I do expect to see some poise despite more pressure than is typical for a preseason game. And if I don't see it, I'll probably have doubts, as unjustified as it might be, as to how he'll handle pressure situations in the future.

If you entirely disagree with me, please feel free to post how you feel. But please keep it civil. I'm not trying to stir up controversy; I'm just posting one of my thoughts going into tonight's preseason opener.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon
    Is it fair to place that much weight on a meaningless game? Is it realistic to forecast his future potential on a quarter and a half of second team, preseason football? Not really. But if Cutler is going to be as good as most of us hope he will be then I expect that he'll rise above the rookie jitters and play like a veteran whose only struggles come from learning a new playbook.
    No, it's not fair to base much of anything on tonight's game. He could throw five picks, and it could have no indication of how good his career could be. This is his first NFL game (pre-season or otherwise). He might do well, he might struggle, but not much weight can be put on this game.

I don't think this game can even be used to know if he is ready to start this year. He could struggle tonight, but by the end of the preseason could be very consistant.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

ya me to jav,

i cant wait to see both jay and brandon play... after hearing all this training camp hype i gotta know if their for real or not... definetly a LOT of pressure on those two as well as all the rookies. o yeah and i also want to see how tony is doin
    [IMG]http://img.photoamp.com/i/xJyjHrKI0.jpg[/IMG]

SIG MADE BY ME!!

my myspace: www.myspace.com/italian2sta11ion
    MY CUSTOM RINGTONES: http://djdraggytones.mstore.xingtone.com

I agree with you completely. It is just one preseason game, but if he is going to be as good as everyone hypes him up to be, poise is going to have to be very evident, even at this early stage in the game. That is what separates the average rookie qb's from the stellar ones.

The other thing that I hope for is consistency over time throughout this preseason. Mistakes will be made, but if he can show that consistent poise, then he will be fantastic. I read that article that came out about McNair yesterday making an INT during a scrimmage in camp, and not even dwelling on it at all. That's the type of processing taht I hope Jay has...obviously noting what happened that was wrong, but then making the mental correction and moving forward.

Nice synopsis.

For the record, I'd like to see Jake looking sharp tonight, too.
    Last edited by MN-Broncofreak; 08-11-2006 at 12:59 PM. Reason: inserting link
    Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

http://www.notmike.com/images/heman.jpg

I agree with wanting to see poise. I would also like to see good decision making.

A couple of 60 yard TD passes would be a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Javalon
    Poise is what I want to see tonight. If Cutler can play efficiently and not get rattled from his inevitable rookie mistakes, if he can take a few wallops from our leaky second team offensive line and get back up like nothing happened, if he can toss a few shaky passes but get it under control and zip in some good ones, then I will feel positive about his near term success. And a lot of success at that.

Wow Jav. I'm as excited as anyone to see Cutler play... but I'm not looking for the kid to have poise like that in his FIRST NFL outing. It will be the first time he gets to wear the Orange and Blue during a "game" time setting. How many nationally televised games did he play while in college? The excitement and hype for preseason games in the National Football League...the press...the adrenaline pump of being out on the field with guys he's watched on television, then the expectations of being a 1st round pick QB ...IN DENVER. The first since the retirement of Elway... wow.

Although it would be great to see the poise you are referring to, I just don't expect it, and I don't think THIS game is going to be any indication on how he handles pressure of the NFL. I feel there is plenty of time for him get the initial jitters from his system, where he isn't fighting that along with ALL the other pressures.

I know there are plenty that are JUMPING to rip every bad throw he makes...trying to prove Mtn-man wrong about his 'game three' prediction. Although I KNOW you aren't going to judge this kid on tonights performance, I think you brought up some points that shouldn't even be considered on TONIGHTs game.... imo.

For all intents and purposes this is a scrimmage game with another team. One that has sucked for ever. New regime in town and some new faces.

I doubt that whoever plays will have much to worry about DET.

I for one hope that all the second stringers and worse play most of the game Hope not to see any of the starters.

For cutler and fellow rookies will be playing mostly against DET's camp fodder I don't expect to see them doing much other than get some NFL game time. I don't expect even if they play some of their starters that it will be close to real time against REAL NFL Defenses.

Talking

Hey all how do you ad your own original thread? Thanx!
    [SIZE=3]Smashball[/SIZE]

Talking

I figured it out Thanx!
    [SIZE=3]Smashball[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by MN-Broncofreak
    I agree with you completely. It is just one preseason game, but if he is going to be as good as everyone hypes him up to be, poise is going to have to be very evident, even at this early stage in the game. That is what separates the average rookie qb's from the stellar ones.

The other thing that I hope for is consistency over time throughout this preseason. Mistakes will be made, but if he can show that consistent poise, then he will be fantastic. I read that article that came out about McNair yesterday making an INT during a scrimmage in camp, and not even dwelling on it at all. That's the type of processing taht I hope Jay has...obviously noting what happened that was wrong, but then making the mental correction and moving forward.

Nice synopsis.
    Yep, that's what I'm saying. He can have a bad game but still show poise.

It isn't about the stats. His timing might still be off with his receivers. He might still be reading the defenses wrong. He might have the wrong route in his head and throw right to a defender. Those are typical rookie mistakes and no problem even if he makes a number of them.

But how does he bounce back from those mistakes? Does he look like the proverbial deer in the headlights or does he just do his thing and shake off the bad plays?

Will his stats tonight dictate what kind of QB he'll be in the future? Of course not. But it's his demeanor that will either give me great hope for the near future or cause me to worry about how long it will take him to get psychologically ready for the pros.

Elway didn't exactly impress from a statistical perspective when he got his first playing time. But he had a presence on the field from early on that I'm hoping to see from Cutler.

No, I'm not saying Cutler needs to become Elway. But I want to see him on the field and think to myself "That kid is going to be something special" regardless of the stats.

For the record, I'd like to see Jake looking sharp tonight, too.
    Same here. But it'll be hard to match last preseason, especially with Rod and Javon out.
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!!
    Wow Jav. I'm as excited as anyone to see Cutler play... but I'm not looking for the kid to have poise like that in his FIRST NFL outing. It will be the first time he gets to wear the Orange and Blue during a "game" time setting. How many nationally televised games did he play while in college? The excitement and hype for preseason games in the National Football League...the press...the adrenaline pump of being out on the field with guys he's watched on television, then the expectations of being a 1st round pick QB ...IN DENVER. The first since the retirement of Elway... wow.

Although it would be great to see the poise you are referring to, I just don't expect it, and I don't think THIS game is going to be any indication on how he handles pressure of the NFL. I feel there is plenty of time for him get the initial jitters from his system, where he isn't fighting that along with ALL the other pressures.

I know there are plenty that are JUMPING to rip every bad throw he makes...trying to prove Mtn-man wrong about his 'game three' prediction. Although I KNOW you aren't going to judge this kid on tonights performance, I think you brought up some points that shouldn't even be considered on TONIGHTs game.... imo.
    As I said above, it's not about the stats. It's about his demeanor.

And I know it's unfair to make such a quick judgement about him. But first impressions go a long way with me; psychologically, not statistically.
    ------