Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044

    Do You Think Van Pelt Will Make The Team?

    After Cutler's good work last night I wonder if Van Pelt can still hang on and make the 53 man roster. I realize there is still plenty of preseason football left so there is time for him rebound. But do you think if Cutler continues to progress at the rate he's going now that Shanahan might just go with two qbs?

    Personally I'm not comfortable with how BVP would handle the team if pressed into duty should Plummer and Cutler go down with an injury. But I'm even less comfortable with handing the reins over to someone who has never seen Shanahan's playbook before.

    What do you all think?
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    833
    Van Pelt looked terrible, granted he was with the 3rd team o-line he still was very inaccurate and he never looks off defenders. So to answer your question no he wont make the team, maybe practice squad if hes lucky.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,478
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrules40
    ...maybe practice squad if hes lucky.
    He was active all last season, which means he's not elegable to be on ANY practice squad again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,623
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrules40
    Van Pelt looked terrible, granted he was with the 3rd team o-line he still was very inaccurate and he never looks off defenders. So to answer your question no he wont make the team, maybe practice squad if hes lucky.

    he looked bad for a while....when he absalutly had zero chance of doing anything...he played with the third string and others who will not even make third string...they gave him no protection whatsoever, no time , no protection,at all.....so of course he didnt look off his defenders, he didn have time to do anything but tuck the ball......but when they changed the schemes giving him more runs and quick passes he did lead them done to tie the game but the ball was dropped


    i really dont think we can judge him based on what he did then ...its not fair

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    After Cutler's good work last night I wonder if Van Pelt can still hang on and make the 53 man roster. I realize there is still plenty of preseason football left so there is time for him rebound. But do you think if Cutler continues to progress at the rate he's going now that Shanahan might just go with two qbs?

    Personally I'm not comfortable with how BVP would handle the team if pressed into duty should Plummer and Cutler go down with an injury. But I'm even less comfortable with handing the reins over to someone who has never seen Shanahan's playbook before.

    What do you all think?

    From everything I have read about Cutler is that he is learning the playbook well and is playing well...in his first year.

    He is handling the pressure and workload that goes with being #2 on the depth chart in only his first year.

    BVP on the other hand has lost his job as the backup and as I have read...looked awful against the Lions third team defense.

    I can handle and accept someone having a bad game or making a bad play. What disturbs me the most is what he said after the game though....

    about being confused or whatever....

    Its the backups to the backups on the FRIEKING LIONS!!!!!!!!!!

    I've always kind of liked BVP, but it looks as though Rod's gonna be the emergency quarterback again this year...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    2,559
    Can Preston Parsons be worse?

    Hopefully not...
    Go Huskers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    1,350
    I wound't be agianst it since I would like to see 3 QB's this year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    From everything I have read about Cutler is that he is learning the playbook well and is playing well...in his first year.

    He is handling the pressure and workload that goes with being #2 on the depth chart in only his first year.

    BVP on the other hand has lost his job as the backup and as I have read...looked awful against the Lions third team defense.

    I can handle and accept someone having a bad game or making a bad play. What disturbs me the most is what he said after the game though....

    about being confused or whatever....

    Its the backups to the backups on the FRIEKING LIONS!!!!!!!!!!

    I've always kind of liked BVP, but it looks as though Rod's gonna be the emergency quarterback again this year...
    I watched the game and yes BVP was in there against with and against thrid teamers. But that's just it our third teamers played worse than those on the Lions' squad. The one pass that really was bad was the last one in the game. Had BVP been more accurate with it we would have game.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    904
    I was never a fan of BVP. I always thought of him as a running QB and not a true QB. Those types never do well in the league. I don't understand how a team can pick up and running QB and think they can teach them everything else and they will be great in the league. That stuff never works that's why I think Vince Young won't be good in the league. Your QB needs to be a pocket passer that can run if he needs too (Elway).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    land of the firebird
    Posts
    8,047
    sorry byut im so sick of hearing BVP sucks so much and all that junk. BVP has a passion for the game and plays hard. While he may not have all the intangibles of an all star yet, give him a break. I have never heard of him taking a play lightly let alone a practice. All of you people that say that he sucks obviously dont realize how much athletic talent he has.

    And for all you CU people...get over it. Im a CSU fan and I hate nebraska more than any other team. I consider wyoming more of a rivalry than CU. Dont hate on Bradlee just because he supports his team
    Glen Haven Fire

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    13,489
    Quote Originally Posted by armedequation
    sorry byut im so sick of hearing BVP sucks so much and all that junk. BVP has a passion for the game and plays hard. While he may not have all the intangibles of an all star yet, give him a break. I have never heard of him taking a play lightly let alone a practice. All of you people that say that he sucks obviously dont realize how much athletic talent he has.

    And for all you CU people...get over it. Im a CSU fan and I hate nebraska more than any other team. I consider wyoming more of a rivalry than CU. Dont hate on Bradlee just because he supports his team
    I'm a CSU fan, too, being from Greeley. (Yes, UNC first, but my cousin played QB for CSU, so it is my favorite Division I team.) I was a BVP fan when he played there, and am still of sorts. But I do not believe is his of NFL caliber as a QB. He might make a terrific safety, but he says he won't go there. So he just might end up going back to CSU for his Master's to do something in civilian life.

    -----

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Odessa, TX.
    Posts
    11,044
    Quote Originally Posted by armedequation
    sorry byut im so sick of hearing BVP sucks so much and all that junk. BVP has a passion for the game and plays hard. While he may not have all the intangibles of an all star yet, give him a break. I have never heard of him taking a play lightly let alone a practice. All of you people that say that he sucks obviously dont realize how much athletic talent he has.

    And for all you CU people...get over it. Im a CSU fan and I hate nebraska more than any other team. I consider wyoming more of a rivalry than CU. Dont hate on Bradlee just because he supports his team

    He may have alot of athletic talent but I don't think he's NFL qb. By his own admission he said he hadn't been as focused as he should have been. Maybe if he had been he wouldn't be in the position that he is today.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

    http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

    Thanks Snk16

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Frisco, CO
    Posts
    8,150
    Quote Originally Posted by armedequation
    sorry byut im so sick of hearing BVP sucks so much and all that junk. BVP has a passion for the game and plays hard. While he may not have all the intangibles of an all star yet, give him a break. I have never heard of him taking a play lightly let alone a practice. All of you people that say that he sucks obviously dont realize how much athletic talent he has.

    And for all you CU people...get over it. Im a CSU fan and I hate nebraska more than any other team. I consider wyoming more of a rivalry than CU. Dont hate on Bradlee just because he supports his team
    You imply that since he plays with heart and is a great athlete, that this means he doesn't "suck."

    The history of sports is full of people that have heart. Unfortunately, heart isn't enough. It's full of people with athletic talent. Unfortunately, talent alone isn't enough.

    Being a QB in the NFL requires more than "heart" and "athletic talent." It requires the intangilbles that you yourself state he doesn't have (vision, quick decision making, anticipation, poise, etc....)

    I like BVP, but that doesn't mean he has the ability to play QB in the NFL, at least not in our type of system.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Frisco, CO
    Posts
    8,150
    He didn't look good in camp when I saw him on Monday (although, he did have one good pass play).

    I think a trend is developing with BVP.

    He's a good athlete, but not a good QB. Other teams were thinking of drafting him before we did, but only if he was willing to learn another position. Since he wasn't, he was left when we made our last pick.

    Personally, I think if he doesn't make it this year, he won't be playing anywhere. I don't think it's likely he will be picked up by anyone.

    If he really loves football like he says he does, I think he would be better off learning to play safety (ala John Lynch). He's obviously tough, but he lacks the tangibles you need to play QB.

    Considering Jay's progress, to answer your question, I think he is making it easy for Shanny to go the 2 QB route again.
    Last edited by broncos_mtnman; 08-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    land of the firebird
    Posts
    8,047
    BVP will make the team one way or another
    Glen Haven Fire

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •