Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do You Think Van Pelt Will Make The Team?

After Cutler's good work last night I wonder if Van Pelt can still hang on and make the 53 man roster. I realize there is still plenty of preseason football left so there is time for him rebound. But do you think if Cutler continues to progress at the rate he's going now that Shanahan might just go with two qbs?

Personally I'm not comfortable with how BVP would handle the team if pressed into duty should Plummer and Cutler go down with an injury. But I'm even less comfortable with handing the reins over to someone who has never seen Shanahan's playbook before.

What do you all think?
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Van Pelt looked terrible, granted he was with the 3rd team o-line he still was very inaccurate and he never looks off defenders. So to answer your question no he wont make the team, maybe practice squad if hes lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    After Cutler's good work last night I wonder if Van Pelt can still hang on and make the 53 man roster. I realize there is still plenty of preseason football left so there is time for him rebound. But do you think if Cutler continues to progress at the rate he's going now that Shanahan might just go with two qbs?

Personally I'm not comfortable with how BVP would handle the team if pressed into duty should Plummer and Cutler go down with an injury. But I'm even less comfortable with handing the reins over to someone who has never seen Shanahan's playbook before.

What do you all think?

From everything I have read about Cutler is that he is learning the playbook well and is playing well...in his first year.

He is handling the pressure and workload that goes with being #2 on the depth chart in only his first year.

BVP on the other hand has lost his job as the backup and as I have read...looked awful against the Lions third team defense.

I can handle and accept someone having a bad game or making a bad play. What disturbs me the most is what he said after the game though....

about being confused or whatever....

Its the backups to the backups on the FRIEKING LIONS!!!!!!!!!!

I've always kind of liked BVP, but it looks as though Rod's gonna be the emergency quarterback again this year...

Can Preston Parsons be worse?

Hopefully not...
    Go Huskers.

I wound't be agianst it since I would like to see 3 QB's this year.

He didn't look good in camp when I saw him on Monday (although, he did have one good pass play).

I think a trend is developing with BVP.

He's a good athlete, but not a good QB. Other teams were thinking of drafting him before we did, but only if he was willing to learn another position. Since he wasn't, he was left when we made our last pick.

Personally, I think if he doesn't make it this year, he won't be playing anywhere. I don't think it's likely he will be picked up by anyone.

If he really loves football like he says he does, I think he would be better off learning to play safety (ala John Lynch). He's obviously tough, but he lacks the tangibles you need to play QB.

Considering Jay's progress, to answer your question, I think he is making it easy for Shanny to go the 2 QB route again.
    Last edited by broncos_mtnman; 08-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

BVP will make the team one way or another
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman
    He didn't look good in camp when I saw him on Monday (although, he did have one good pass play).

I think a trend is developing with BVP.

He's a good athlete, but not a good QB. Other teams were thinking of drafting him before we did, but only if he was willing to learn another position. Since he wasn't, he was left when we made our last pick.

Personally, I think if he doesn't make it this year, he won't be playing anywhere. I don't think it's likely he will be picked up by anyone.

If he really loves football like he says he does, I think he would be better off learning to play safety (ala John Lynch). He's obviously tough, but he lacks the tangibles you need to play QB.

Considering Jay's progress, to answer your question, I think he is making ti easy for Shanny to go the 2 QB route again.
    Aren't there four QBs in camp right now?

I've heard the fourth is a fairly decent passer. (All the sudden, I can't think of his name.)

-----

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Aren't there four QBs in camp right now?

I've heard the fourth is a fairly decent passer. (All the sudden, I can't think of his name.)

-----
    Preston Parsons

I think he will. He has good value on the scout team replicating some of the styles of more mobile QBs in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrules40
    ...maybe practice squad if hes lucky.
    He was active all last season, which means he's not elegable to be on ANY practice squad again.

He's the 3rd best QB on the team, and I think that Shanny can't be tottaly confident in letting a rookie be #2 on the depth chart without a veteran behind him.
    Blet

I think he will be a hard cut for tha Broncos as he is well liked in the community(coming from csu) and seems to say the right things to the media.

As much as I hate that guy, he'll be on the team...Most of the fans love him here (of course not CU fans), but the kid does try very hard and it is very hard to cut a guy like that...
    fight Cu dOwn the fieLd..cu must win.. fight fight fOr VictoRy..cu knows no defeAt! so roll up the mighty score, Never Give in!!...shoulDer to shOulder we will FIGHT..FIGHT ... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

I don't think how much BVP is liked will have much, if any, bearing on whether or not he is cut. The bigger factor will be whether or not Shanahan thinks Jay is ready to be a backup and whether or not he is comfortable heading into the season with only two QB's.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt