Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Broncofreak
    Yeah, and the other piece of it is our punting situation at the beginning of the year. Since we have to carry an extra kicker, I'd rather not keep BVP around if we don't have to. I don't mind the 2 QB thing.
    I don't think that Todd counts against us till he comes back. I could be wrong but suspended means he does not exist.

Let me add if he does count against our number then he should be gone.

And while everyone thinks that cutler is the best thing since sliced bread. I'd keep BVP as an insurance policy against Jake getting hurt and being gone for the season.

There is no way I want culter as my only option and not having someone around that knows the playbook.
    Last edited by JRWIZ; 08-14-2006 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    I don't think that Todd counts against us till he comes back. I could be wrong but suspended means he does not exist.

Let me add if he does count against our number then he should be gone.

And while everyone thinks that cutler is the best thing since sliced bread. I'd keep BVP as an insurance policy against Jake getting hurt and being gone for the season.

There is no way I want culter as my only option and not having someone around that knows the playbook.

JR if it was everyone then you wouldn't have made that comment.

While I agree I'm more comfortable keeping BVP around as insurance I think I understand why that might not happen.

1.) If Cutler continues to progress at the rate is right now he would know enough of the offense to warrant saving a roster spot.

2.) Assuming Cutler continues to progress the way is we would have a better chance of winning a game than with BVP.

3.) Last year we went with just BVP as our sole back up, he did nothing to give confidence that he could anything to be effective for us.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by MindField
    BVP is toast....he still, after three seasons, looks like he knows nothing about the
    fine points of being an NFL QB. Plus the Broncos have to carry extra kickers in the wake of Sauerbrun's suspension.
    Sauerbrun will not count as a roster spot during his suspension, so it is a wash. If Ernster is kept the first four weeks to punt and kickoff, he will count one roster spot, and Sauerbrun will count none. Then, when Sauerbrun comes back, Ernster is released and Sauerbrun is added to the roster.

Suspensions of this type have zero effect on the total number of players on the roster.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    1.) If Cutler continues to progress at the rate is right now he would know enough of the offense to warrant saving a roster spot.
    Possibly. As Shanny said, we ran a vanilla offense. I have no idea if he knows 80% or 20% of the playbook. However, from what I have seen in the first game, Cutler with 20% of the playbook would give us a better chance of winning if Jake went down, than BVP with 100% of the playbook, so I hope Jay is the number 2 when camp breaks.

2.) Assuming Cutler continues to progress the way is we would have a better chance of winning a game than with BVP.
    Agreed. I think if he stops progressing, we have a better chance of winning. I have simply seen nothing from BVP that tell me we can win with him, but who knows.

3.) Last year we went with just BVP as our sole back up, he did nothing to give confidence that he could anything to be effective for us.
    Shanny has addressed that. He has told us that is different, because he knew Kanell would be sitting on the couch watching the games on Sunday ready to be called back to the Broncos if a QB went down.

The question is whether he believes that BVP will not be signed, so we will be in the same position.

The first time he went with two, Jake got hurt a few games into the season, and he called back his last cut Kanell or broken-pinky guy (can't ever remember his name) and then finished the year with three.

If Parson isn't claimed and gets onto the practice squad, than he could be the QB that is pulled in if one of the first two goes down.

Ideally, you don't want to look for a guy halfway through the season that knows nothing about your offense.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    Shanny has addressed that. He has told us that is different, because he knew Kanell would be sitting on the couch watching the games on Sunday ready to be called back to the Broncos if a QB went down.
    This true, however if not mistaken Danny was thinking of going to med school. No I'm not confusing him with Matt Mauck who said after football is over for him he wants to go to dental school.

The question is whether he believes that BVP will not be signed, so we will be in the same position.
    I would image its probably a good risk for Shanahan if he decides to let BVP go. However its still a risk. He could be picked by some other team, even though that seem rather unlikely. I realize there is also Parsons and he should have descent command of the playbook as well but it is still the same risk he could be picked up by another team.

The first time he went with two, Jake got hurt a few games into the season, and he called back his last cut Kanell or broken-pinky guy (can't ever remember his name) and then finished the year with three.
    The injuried qb I think that was Steve Buerlein that's why Danny was pressed into duty so quicky.

Quote Originally Posted by tenator
    If Parson isn't claimed and gets onto the practice squad, than he could be the QB that is pulled in if one of the first two goes down.
    Parson's might not be able to be put on the PT. I've heard that you have certain amount of time that you can spend on PT.

Ideally, you don't want to look for a guy halfway through the season that knows nothing about your offense.
    You're not kidding and the first time around that was to a lesser degree the situation we had with Kanell. It true that we would have that problem concerning Parsons and BVP but as I said its still a risk to let them should Shanahan stick with only two qbs on the active roster.

Thanks Snk16

If Shanny only keeps 2, no.

Een if Shanny keep three, I am not sure.

Quite frankly, I never saw him as more than a career back up anyway, so its no loss if he does get cut.

He should really think about converting to safety or tight end or something. He has enough athletic skill to play in the NFL, just not at QB.

[QUOTE=Jared]He should really think about converting to safety or tight end or something. He has enough athletic skill to play in the NFL, just not at QB.[QUOTE]

Unfortunately for BVP he just doesn't see it that way.

Thanks Snk16

After Cutler's good work last night I wonder if Van Pelt can still hang on and make the 53 man roster. I realize there is still plenty of preseason football left so there is time for him rebound. But do you think if Cutler continues to progress at the rate he's going now that Shanahan might just go with two qbs?

Personally I'm not comfortable with how BVP would handle the team if pressed into duty should Plummer and Cutler go down with an injury. But I'm even less comfortable with handing the reins over to someone who has never seen Shanahan's playbook before.

What do you all think?
    Hey TX, great question. I did only read the game, as I am in Siberia when it comes to Bronco Football broadcasts. Did VanPelt have that bad of a game? I am guessing he was behind a less talented line than Cutler was, but what I don't know is what D the Lions had in. I would like to see Cutler and VanPelt flip flopped next game, to see the difference it would make in the line (but I don't want to see Cutler get hurt). Do I think Van Pelt is the better QB? No. Just interested.

Quote Originally Posted by WI Fan
    Hey TX, great question. I did only read the game, as I am in Siberia when it comes to Bronco Football broadcasts. Did VanPelt have that bad of a game? I am guessing he was behind a less talented line than Cutler was, but what I don't know is what D the Lions had in. I would like to see Cutler and VanPelt flip flopped next game, to see the difference it would make in the line (but I don't want to see Cutler get hurt). Do I think Van Pelt is the better QB? No. Just interested.
    In short no he didn't do very well. Now it wasn't all his fault the third string line didn't give him much protection but nevertheless he still didn't do well. At the end of the game he had chane to tie things up with good pass, it was a poorly thrown ball game over.

Thanks Snk16

In short no he didn't do very well. Now it wasn't all his fault the third string line didn't give him much protection but nevertheless he still didn't do well. At the end of the game he had chane to tie things up with good pass, it was a poorly thrown ball game over.
    I guess my question is, if he converts the score, do we still throw him under the bus? Looking at the stats, yes, but I didn't see the game. The thing of it is, there is no one on this planet that knows what either of these guys will do in a regular season football game. We can speculate, and might be right, but we just don't know.

all the blame cant be on bvp for that pass either. Any reciever knows that if you get 2 hands on the ball, that you should catch it, and he got two hands on the ball. Kirkus had two guys to either side of him and honestly it look like a mix up in route running but who knows.
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation
    all the blame cant be on bvp for that pass either. Any reciever knows that if you get 2 hands on the ball, that you should catch it, and he got two hands on the ball. Kirkus had two guys to either side of him and honestly it look like a mix up in route running but who knows.
    Ok I see what you're saying. I'll be watching it again but I thought the defender was able to get a hand in there as well.

Thanks Snk16

Ok I see what you're saying. I'll be watching it again but I thought the defender was able to get a hand in there as well.
    no the pass right right in between the to defenders perfectly. It look like BVP thought kirkus was going to run a 5 and hook route. It looked like kirkus was going to run a 7 out/in route. But if BVP threw it anywhere else it would have been knocked away or intercepted
    Glen Haven Fire

He might make it, but I won't be too disappointed if he doesn't. He never has impressed much except for that trick play that he pulled last year...that was awesome!

I hope BVP gets the boot. His roster spot would be better filled elsewhere. Horrendous accuracy, p!ss poor decision making, and lack of focus=get the f*** out of Denver.