• Show
Clear All
  • Javalon
    Hail to the King, baby!
    • Sep 2003

"If Watts is an aspiring Jedi, Heimerdinger's Obi-Wan"

Great title for this article from the Rocky Mountain News:
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...920371,00.html

ENGLEWOOD - The repetitions are maddeningly simple, yet the benefits have the potential to be monumental.
    All Darius Watts needs to do to remind himself about this equation is to look across the offensive huddle at Rod Smith.

With the sharp offensive mind of Mike Heimerdinger returning to the Broncos' sideline this season, Smith has been reunited with one of the men who helped make him one of the most consistent receivers in the NFL.

Watts realizes his situation isn't much different than the one Smith was in when Heimerdinger originally joined the Broncos' staff in 1995 - unproven and battling to win a role as the team's third receiver.

Smith, obviously, is eons past having to prove himself or fret about his roster spot. So when Heimerdinger went out of his way to give Watts extra tutelage following practices in the early days of camp - as he did with a young Smith a decade ago - Watts made sure to make the most of his time.

"(Heimerdinger) is just trying to get my hands right, get my hands in better position to catch the ball. Stuff like that," Watts said. "Rod told me he used to do that with him. He said he showed him how to catch the ball right. (Smith) said it really helped him out a lot."

By the time Heimerdinger left the Broncos after the 1999 season, spending the next six years as the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans and New York Jets, Smith had just churned out his third consecutive 1,000-yard season and was well on his way to a streak that has seen him compile eight 1,000-yard seasons in nine years.

In two seasons with the Broncos, Watts has collected only 407 receiving yards on 33 receptions. Yet with Smith hampered early in camp by a sore hamstring and marquee offseason acquisition Javon Walker still rounding into shape after enduring reconstructive knee surgery, Watts has enjoyed more repetitions with the first offense than he ever did during his first two Broncos training camps.

And Watts has also been busy taking extra-credit notes from his new mentor.

"Early (in camp), we worked on some things - catching and some technique things and extra stuff," Heimerdinger said. "I believe the more you do that and the more you concentrate and the more you catch the ball with your eyes, the better off you are.

"I think it's easy for receivers to look good in shorts. DBs don't get into you as hard. They don't grab your pads and bump. Nobody is quite as physical. It's easy to catch a ball in a crowd when you know nobody is going to hit you. You find out about a receiver in a game."

Under Heimerdinger, Watts has had only one opportunity to prove himself in a game situation.

And, despite the inconsistencies that have plagued the former second-round draft pick the past two years, Watts acquitted himself well. Against Detroit on Friday, Watts recorded four receptions for 35 yards.

One of those grabs was good for 16 yards on a second-and-13 situation. If Watts wanted to make a good first step in Heimerdinger's eyes, he did the job.

"I wanted to go in and have a good first game in the preseason, and every game, too," Watts said. "I want to do practices well, too. It's all about having that consistency. In camp, I might get six balls thrown to me. If I missed that one, and I carry it over to that game, that's terrible. I can deal with the pressure. I just have to keep going at it, and hopefully, it will all carry over."
    Here's another one on Watts from the Post:
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4187170

Watts catches No. 3 WR spot

A year ago, Darius Watts was buried, headed for the all-jeans team.

The Broncos decided Watts could not be trusted.

He dropped passes in training camp and dropped a pass in the first preseason game, this after a bittersweet rookie season in which he made 31 catches but had several muffs.

For 12 of the Broncos' 18 games, including playoffs, last season, Watts was inactive, dressed in jeans or whatever he wore to the game. When he was allowed to wear pads and cleats, Watts made just two catches.

"I don't even remember last year," Watts said. "I'm trying to recall what happened last year, but I can't recollect a thing. So I don't know what you're talking about."

From his forgettable fall, Watts has made the training camp leap back to No. 3 receiver, behind only Rod Smith and Javon Walker. Heading into Saturday night's preseason game against Tennessee at Invesco Field at Mile High, Watts has returned to where his rookie year left off.

Always capable of using his great speed to find open space, Watts' most noticeable improvement this year has been his hands. He not only is catching the ball, he has made a few reaching catches with his fingers.

"It was crazy, because he still doesn't know what he did to get in the doghouse, but I told him, 'Some stuff you can't control,"' said Smith, who didn't become a starter until his fourth NFL season. "All you can control is your effort and the way you approach the game. They pay you a certain amount of money to do a job. Do your job, and everything else will take care of itself. He's embraced that, and he's gone out there and worked hard."

With rookie receiver Brandon Marshall expected to miss at least the next two preseason games with a torn knee ligament, Watts probably needs only to continue gripping passes to hold on to the No. 3 spot.

"It's not a bad position, but I've never been a person to go after No. 3," Watts said. "I don't think you wanted to be third best in your life. I've always said I want to go for being No. 1."
    I particularly like that last paragraph, assuming he doesn't pull a Lelie on us.

I've been a fan of Watts since day one... and been disappointed at his inconsistentcy making the grab. I really, really hope he's over the hump because that kid is so good at getting open.

With Rod's retirement looming ever closer we're going to need somebody to complement Javon Walker in future years. I'm hoping that man will be Darius Watts (although I also have high hopes for Brandon Marshall).
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"
  • GuitarJ
    Bench Warmer
    • Jul 2005

Thanks. Hopefully we will see him fulfil his potental this year.
    sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

• TXBRONC
      Captain
      • Jul 2003

Master Heimerdinger: You must feel the force around, concentrate and catch ball with hands.

Padawan Watts: I'll try Master Heimerdinger.

Master Heimerdinger: Do or not do, no try.

Padawan Watts: Yes Master Heimerdinger.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• The Dark Knight
        aka Bronco Benny - /^v^\
        • Feb 2004

Obi Wan sucked as a master!

Everyone he's trained has eventually turned to the Darkside!

We'll be calling him Darth Darius pretty soon.

Comment

• Javalon
          Hail to the King, baby!
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TXBRONC
          Master Heimerdinger: You must feel the force around, concentrate and catch ball with hands.

Padawan Watts: I'll try Master Heimerdinger.

Master Heimerdinger: Do or not do, no try.

Padawan Watts: Yes Master Heimerdinger.

Good stuff, Tx!
          ------

Comment

• dontfeedthenerd
            Starter
            • May 2005

Originally posted by The Dark Knight

Yea, he'll be with the Raiders soon enough.

But if you look at the fact that McCaffery and Rod both came out under Dinger pretty well, I'd say we should start calling Heimerdinger, Yoda. Do you think he's short enough?

Comment

• TXBRONC
              Captain
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Javalon
              Good stuff, Tx!
              Thank you. When I read the title a scene from "The Empire Strikes Back" popped into my head. It seemed like the right to post.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

• Javalon
                Hail to the King, baby!
                • Sep 2003

Darth Darius! I love it! I like it better than Spiderman!

And Al Davis would have to be the Emperor. In a couple years he'll be trying to lure young Watts to the dark side!

Anyway, the articles do kind of give me hope that Darius has turned the corner. He's been looking good of late and hopefully that will continue.
                ------

Comment

• ReleaseTheBeast7
                  Franchise Moreno
                  • Jul 2003

Can I be Yoda?
                  sigpic

Comment

• Birdo
                    Practice Squad
                    • Aug 2006

LOL!

Comment

• ReleaseTheBeast7
                      Franchise Moreno
                      • Jul 2003

Yeah but not everyone that was coached by Heimerdinger didn't goto the Raiders... So we're all good...

And plus, Darth Vader pwned Luke Skywalker -- he's got power.

DARTH DARIUS TO THE RESCUE
                      Last edited by ReleaseTheBeast7; 08-16-2006, 10:35 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• The Dark Knight
                        aka Bronco Benny - /^v^\
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                        Yeah but everyone that was coached by Heimerdinger didn't goto the Raiders...

That's why the analogy is inaccurate!

Comment

• topscribe
                          RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
                          • Apr 2005

Thanks for the reads, Jav . . .

I remember all too well, regarding Rod Smith with complete derision. He could not seem to get through a game without dropping passes at the worst times. I wanted Rod Smith cut from the squad in the worst way.

Now look at him.

I stood up for Watts as a rookie. He appeared for a while to make me look like a fool.

Now look at him.

-----

Comment

• Javalon
                            Hail to the King, baby!
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by topscribe
                            I remember all too well, regarding Rod Smith with complete derision. He could not seem to get through a game without dropping passes at the worst times. I wanted Rod Smith cut from the squad in the worst way.

Now look at him.

I stood up for Watts as a rookie. He appeared for a while to make me look like a fool.

Now look at him.

-----
                            Top, I was right there with you. In fact, it was Rod Smith that taught me to have patience with these young receivers.

I went through the same thing with Ashley Lelie and kept reminding myself about how Rod had similar confidence issues that took a couple years to get over. And while Lelie isn't nearly as good as Rod overall, he is now pretty reliable making the catch when the ball reaches him.

So, Rod got over the dropsies and Lelie got over them. Now it's Watts' turn. And if does, I think he's going to be a great receiver for us.
                            ------

Comment

• ReleaseTheBeast7
                              Franchise Moreno
                              • Jul 2003

That's why the analogy is inaccurate!
                              Can I get a "not" inbetween "but" and "everyone"?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X