Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thats the first time Ive seen Leinart throw and I think he looks great. But Im not going to compare them until they are starting in the NFL.

Sitting here watching ESPN, and what do I see? A replay of the 84 yard bomb.... And who do I see chasing Kircus and diving at his feet?

Why it's Rolle and Macklin... Wait a second, they are the starting corners for Arizona... BOTH of them.

So once again, the original statement by the original poster stands... Cutler looked good against Arizona's first string defense.
    God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Calif. Bronco
    almost every draft pick has said the same thing. What they say on draft day or in interviews right afterward often has very little relation to what actually happens. If the Broncos had lo-balled Jay he would have done the same thing Matt did, don't kid yourself.

Did Matt Leinart "sit out his rookie year?" Did I miss something? Was that someone else playing against us last night? Even if Fitzgerald was at camp on time (and I don't know that he was but I'll take your word for it) what's your point? I would wager a sizeable amount that the vast majority of Cardinal draft picks held out. That's my point and that's really my only point.

You mean the coach of the team that was in contract negotiations said his employers made a generous offer? Gee...there's a shock!

And neither of us knows the true reason why that is, do we? I'll place my bets on the side opposite the most inept organization in the NFL but I suppose you can side with them if you like.

Again, my facts are based on history, not on assuming a player is greedy. And of course we don't know what would have happened if Jay had been drafted by the Cardinals, but based on their 60-year + history I'm willing to guess.
    I was refering to camp, he sat out two weeks. Fitzgerald was on time you can go online, and look it up. So if you did wager you would lose, because their high draft picks besides Leinhart showed up on time.He refered to giving big names like Edge and Fitzgerald signing contracts when they were offered to them. Leinhart wanted more gauaranted money, thats all it came down to.I never will side with the cardinal organization, but the fact is Leinhart wanted more money, he was not there for his team. If he played for the broncos ,Shanny would teach him not to ask for more money. So it shows the Cutler is more a team player for signing a contract that had less incentives the Leinhart. Leinhart signed a contract that had 3 million more in gaurenteed money and 10 milliom more based on performance. So that showes he had money on his mind.
    History show the cardinals have had there fair share of hold outs but the saints rank among the best with players holding out.
    Last edited by Neversummer672; 09-01-2006 at 09:17 AM.

cutler ran the option the first two years of college and then bobby johnson tailored the offense to suit his abilities. cutler was 9th in total offense last season....at vanderbilt. i can't imagine what jesus christ felt like going through the statisons of the cross, but cutler had to feel something close to that pain during a stretch of games against UGA, LSU, South Carolina, Florida, and Tennessee.

Is this a replay of the 83 class?? Since some are already comparing these 2 like they are Elway and Marino, I hope Cutler is Elway and Hollywood is Marino!
    Ready for the friggen season already!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncsOwnU
    First off this insn't the smack forum, second of all, do you just sit by and wait for someone to post so that you can pounce on it. Seriously dude, first get your facts straight, the 84 yard bomb was against the STARTING D.

All but three players who started were first stringers, and they played the majority of the first quarter. And the bomb came at 4:21 left in the first quarter.

NFL Recap
    Refer to other thread, you proved yourself wrong :idiot:
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    Glad to see that our DBs are still playing 10 yards off their man still. It was 3rd and short, and Paymah was waaaay off his man and gave up the first down. Why is it that our DBs never challenge the damn receivers??????
    risk aversion. better to give up short yardage than get burned for a td. the former prob only earns a slap on the wrist, especially when every other db is doing the same. the latter, otoh, earns a possible trip to the waiver wire.

After watching the game last night, I have a couple of thoughts on the 2 QB's.

#1- I am more impressed with both QB's than I was before the night started. I knew Jay had greatness in him, but we haven't seen him against the #1 defense until tonight and he did great. Also, how a QB reacts to adversity will tell you more about him than when things are going hunky-dory. His TD after the Int. told me all I need to know about that.

Leinart was impressive also; he has proven he is calm, collected, and clutch, like in his USC days. However, we still do not know how he will act after adversity, because he really has never had any. He had one of the all time greatest offenses in college, and has a pretty good one in Arizona. So that question remains unanswered, but my guess is that he will be fine.

#2. There are two main diferences that set the two QB's apart that may make a difference in how they are judged in their career. One is arm strength: Hands down this goes to Cutler. Shanny has compared his arm strength to Elway's, and it was on display last night. By the way, no way Leinart makes that throw that Cutler made to Kircus. Since Leinart is left-handed, he would have to roll right, square up and throw the ball at least 55-60 yds in the air--on the money to the wr in stride. This does not happen.

The other difference between the two will be durability. Jay had been pounded game after game playing behind a horrible line and a bad team in the SEC. Yet, I believe he didn't miss a game. Now, Leinart didn't miss a game either in college, but take it from a guy who saw darn near every game USC played last year, he didn't get dumped very often.

That will not be the case in the Pros where every team is good and coming after the QB. Leinart is tall ,but a bit on the lanky side. As we saw last night, how much punishment can his body take? So far, he's on the shakey side. This might be an unfair judgement, but life isn't fair, and I know what I saw-- Leinart gets dumped in the turf once and pops his shouldler.

Well that's my observations and $.02. We'll see over time how this pans out.
    "I've always thought that Raider fans in Oakland were not so much fans as they were 50,000 people out on a work-release program." - John Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by GridironChamp
    Refer to other thread, you proved yourself wrong :idiot:
    He isn't wrong in that this is not the Smack forum.

-----

both players will benefit from playing on good offensive teams, especially leinart who not only has those studs at wideout, but now a running game, also.

both have the physical skills, with cutler having an edge on arm strength. in the end, though, success will depend more on what's between their ears than their physical attributes. the qb spot is about decision making under pressure. whoever can consistently make better decisions will prove to be the better qb, imo.

btw, they were talking on koa about quarterbacks that have been taken back-to-back in the draft, and it was interesting how many of them had one qb who made it and one (or more) who didn't. schlicter and mcmann, mcnabb, couch, and smith, manning and leaf were some of the examples. there were a few more that don't come to mind right now. they only mentioned one example where more than one of the qbs panned out and that was the 71 draft with plunkett, manning, and pastorini. i came up with kelly and eason in the elway draft as another example.

so it can go both ways. just thought it was interesting.

btw, the koa guys also mentioned that leinart won the football slam dunk contest at usc, which was pretty surprising. he is tall, but it shows that he's also a pretty good athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobins
    Leinart was impressive also; he has proven he is calm, collected, and clutch, like in his USC days.
    this is why, if i had to pick between them right now, i'd take leinart. i'm not convinced cutler has these qualities. in fact, my first impression of cutler after he was drafted was that he was another plummer, only with a better arm.

time will tell.

However, we still do not know how he will act after adversity,
    he plays for arizona now. he'll have plenty of chances to experience adversity.

#2. There are two main diferences that set the two QB's apart that may make a difference in how they are judged in their career. One is arm strength: Hands down this goes to Cutler. Shanny has compared his arm strength to Elway's, and it was on display last night. By the way, no way Leinart makes that throw that Cutler made to Kircus. Since Leinart is left-handed, he would have to roll right, square up and throw the ball at least 55-60 yds in the air--on the money to the wr in stride. This does not happen.
    arm strength is overrated, imo. jeff george may have had the strongest arm ever, but it didn't help him win. and you're prob right leinart couldn't have made the same throw to kircus rolling right, but i'm not sure he couldn't have done it rolling left.

The other difference between the two will be durability.

Leinart is tall ,but a bit on the lanky side.
    they're both listed at the same weight, about 225lb, but leinart is a couple inches taller. but i agree, cutler has taken more punishment than leinart, so the question's still out on the lefty.

After watching the game last night, I have a couple of thoughts on the 2 QB's.

#1- I am more impressed with both QB's than I was before the night started. I knew Jay had greatness in him, but we haven't seen him against the #1 defense until tonight and he did great. Also, how a QB reacts to adversity will tell you more about him than when things are going hunky-dory. His TD after the Int. told me all I need to know about that.

Leinart was impressive also; he has proven he is calm, collected, and clutch, like in his USC days. However, we still do not know how he will act after adversity, because he really has never had any. He had one of the all time greatest offenses in college, and has a pretty good one in Arizona. So that question remains unanswered, but my guess is that he will be fine.

Actually yes hands down Cutler has the arm strength but ruling out Leinert o make that throw is a mistake. He can put the ball on the money from anywhere. That pass was a bomb, but thats a throw that alot of NFL QBs could make on a good day. It wasn't like an outragous C pep bomb but it was a very nice throw.

The other difference between the two will be durability. Jay had been pounded game after game playing behind a horrible line and a bad team in the SEC. Yet, I believe he didn't miss a game. Now, Leinart didn't miss a game either in college, but take it from a guy who saw darn near every game USC played last year, he didn't get dumped very often.
    The difference is that Jay has proved his durability, Leinert hasnt had to yet.

That will not be the case in the Pros where every team is good and coming after the QB. Leinart is tall ,but a bit on the lanky side. As we saw last night, how much punishment can his body take? So far, he's on the shakey side. This might be an unfair judgement, but life isn't fair, and I know what I saw-- Leinart gets dumped in the turf once and pops his shouldler.

Well that's my observations and $.02. We'll see over time how this pans out.
    Well thats not fair at all, Plummer is durable but he got hurt, C pep is durable but he got hurt ect... And if im not mistaken with the bum shoulder Leinert stayed in, avoided a sack and made a lil pass.

But on the up side for Leinert, he can read D coverage just about as good as most NFL QBs can. He knows whats going to happen and what the best move will be against that Defense. He always knows whats coming and what to do, he doesnt panic or get happy feet like alot of rookies in teh NFL do.

He also has excellent accuracy for coming out of college. IDK how Jays accuracy compares to Matt's but i know Matt could thread a needle with a pass.
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    Glad to see that our DBs are still playing 10 yards off their man still. It was 3rd and short, and Paymah was waaaay off his man and gave up the first down. Why is it that our DBs never challenge the damn receivers??????
    Yeah I noticed that too. I think it has a lot to do with the size mismatch since our dbs are so much smaller. I'm thinking Coyer believes they can close the gap quickly on release instead of playing up so close (they'd get manhandled).
    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Look at poor Leinart....

They did all this and they still couldn't stop us.

Can you say holding?

But anyway....

I think both have good teams but I think Cutler will have the better career of the two because the Broncos have more of a tradition of winning and the Cardinals have a habit of seeming to look good and then not do anything in hte regular season.

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey