Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Shanahan's offseason decisions already glaringly apparent.

Mike Shanahan's offseason decisions are already standing up and sticking out.

The Good..
    Did everyone catch how Walker took this offense by the horns and pumped the rest of the guys up? Lelie? forget it. He would have never done that.

The Bad.
    I don't want to hear crap about the salary cap!
    Running backs like Edgerrin James who make 10Mill yeah, it's hard to negotiate that and stay under the cap, but Mike Anderson? Give me a break! His salary didn't even come close to that. Did everyone see the Broncos down at the Chiefs 1yrd line. Did we see Broncos football? No, we saw Mike Bell 'DANCING' around the backfield for a 4 yrd loss. T. Bell for a whopping 18yrds rushing in the first half? It's a new trend.

There has also been a real bad ugly trend as well. Too many defenders in the backfield after the ball is snapped. What's up with that? The Broncos offense is making crappy defenses like the Rams (who could even stop the pathetic 49ers) and chefs look like the second coming of the Chicago Bears D.

It seems to me the Broncos better change thier game plan and figure out how to keep defenses out of their backfield after the ball is snapped and use the passing game to jump start the running game.

Last, can the Broncos win on the road?

i hate to be mr. negative, but i agree totally. our o-line has sucked big time. if we dont start blocking and establishing a run game, as well as poor play calling, we will be lucky to be 8 and 8 this year with what i have been seeing.

yeah....

i mean the broncos can slot almost any back in and they will get 1,000 yds...

but wow...

it seems that each year we the broncs are picking players lower and lower...

this year being the lowest..

an undrafted rookie as our #1....

i mean cmon...

even mike must realise that he has gotten too cocky and is now blind by his ego of being a rushing guru...

we need a feature back...

and what we have now is not it...

we will be ok i suppose...

but since we are a run first, play second type of team... you could only guess we would have a sweet back....

yet we dont...

i like the bells lots...

but they are not the answer...

the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

<a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

play calling

Quote Originally Posted by a/r 22
    i hate to be mr. negative, but i agree totally. our o-line has sucked big time. if we dont start blocking and establishing a run game, as well as poor play calling, we will be lucky to be 8 and 8 this year with what i have been seeing.

Oh GAWD the play calling!!!!!!! I forgot about that one. Thanks for the reminder!

Either way it's pretty difficult to establish a running game when no one even comes close to fearing your passing attack.

It works both ways. You run to open up the pass, you pass to open up the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    Either way it's pretty difficult to establish a running game when no one even comes close to fearing your passing attack.

It works both ways. You run to open up the pass, you pass to open up the run.
    That is true, but if you are going to throw to open up the run, you can't run it 70% of the time on first down, you need to throw early, not just on 2nd and 3rd and long.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    That is true, but if you are going to throw to open up the run, you can't run it 70% of the time on first down, you need to throw early, not just on 2nd and 3rd and long.
    I agree with that.

However thus far into the season the ability to throw the ball has been totally irrelevant no matter what down or instance we have thrown on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    I agree with that. However thus far into the season the ability to throw the ball has been totally irrelevant no matter what down or instance we have thrown on.
    That might be, but if we say the run is not effective because the passing isn't, then the only cure for that is to pass on first down, rather than only passing in obvious passing situations where the defense can pin their ears back and run.

Right now, we are running 70% of the time (at least in the first halves) on first downs and then throwing in obvious throwing situations.

So, a team gets to stack the line against the run on first down and rush the passer after that. Something different has to be done.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

i hate to say it but this offense has turned into dan reaves offense. only thing is now we dont have elway to bail it out. run for 3 yards on 1st down, lose 2 yards on 2nd down and elway gets a first down. repeat, repeat, repeat!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbsoldier
    i hate to say it but this offense has turned into dan reaves offense. only thing is now we dont have elway to bail it out. run for 3 yards on 1st down, lose 2 yards on 2nd down and elway gets a first down. repeat, repeat, repeat!!
    Yep, and Jake ain't Elway...

alright so i hate it when people do this and i know that everyone always hates the guy that does, but here it goes. look, folks, we are two games into the season. i will agree that our run looks a bit on the shabby side, but i also am confident that will change very soon. as for the will we ever win on the road, come on guys, its our broncos!!!!!! we simply cant make all of these assumptions this early. i think that tatum and mike will do us proud, and i think that the passing game will improve as well.

that being said.....there does come a time when those excuses do run out and i realize this. once weve played two home games, and two road ones, then i think we can fairly asses our team.

[IMG]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/FP3926~Texas-Longhorns-Logo-Posters.jpg[/IMG]Any coach who listens to fans is going to be sitting with them pretty soon. - Bobby Bowden

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    That might be, but if we say the run is not effective because the passing isn't, then the only cure for that is to pass on first down, rather than only passing in obvious passing situations where the defense can pin their ears back and run.

Right now, we are running 70% of the time (at least in the first halves) on first downs and then throwing in obvious throwing situations.

So, a team gets to stack the line against the run on first down and rush the passer after that. Something different has to be done.
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. However not many pieces of that offense have looked intact, at all. They look confused and unreliable during the passing game.

I'm not blaming Jake Plummer for everything, nor am I going to blame the WR's for everything, but someone needs to step up. I was happy to see Javon Walker make some plays yesterday for us. That was definitely the bright spot on the offense today.

I don't think its any secret that Jake hasn't looked very good thus far, but not too many players on that offense has. Something has to change or we're going nowhere this year.

Before axing Ronnie (Dayne), this would have never been uttered from my virtual mouth...

TATER NEEDS TO BE THE STARTER!!!!

Mike is too indecisive, to dancy-prancy.

He needs to get his butt in gear and hit the damn hole.

This isn't the Icecapades, initiate contact if you have to, just don't run backwards and sideways for crying out loud.

You cannot get away with that garbage in the NFL.

I don't get this. We have had excellent running in both of the first two games. If you look at the lack of rushing attempts made and the yards put up you can clearly see this. There where 2 drives that Mike came in and ran right at a blitz and that screwed him. Other than those few times though he was consistently gaining good yards. Tatum also tore them up and so far is well over pace for 1000 yard season. Just because neither of them is as well known as someone like Portis or Edge doesn't make them not as good. Tatum and Mike both broke tackles and gained yards for us when we had no passing game. Both where also dodging guys in the backfield and still gaining yards. It makes me think that people aren't even watching these games when they make these threads.

Also, there has always been the same pressure in the backfield. Our blocking is for our run game. This is why the bootlegs and rollouts have always been so important in this offense. Also, Plummer did have time to throw on a lot of passes that he held the ball for 30 sec before getting rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by a/r 22
    Right now, there is a major discussion on am950thefan, and their opinion is that Shanahan is watering down the offense so much right now that the other team knows what is coming.