Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    105

    How Good Really IS our Defense?

    Last year, I was worried about our D. They were solid, and I was impressed, but we had a lot of bending and a little breaking. This year, with the less blitzing, we are doing awesome... but how good are we really? I'm curious how good people think we are, and how good do you think we'll be against offensively potent teams?

    The one thing that is worrying me is the lack of pressure on opposing QBs. I don't know how many knock-downs we have, but it's not a lot, and our sacks are almost non-existant. This doesn't worry me as much against some QBs, because our LBs and corners are fast, and seem to be closing the field off nicely.

    But there are a few QBs I do worry about. They are the ones who find the open receiver on any given play, like that snot-nosed punk (who I respect as a player, but man I loathe him..) Manning. He finds receivers. The biggest problem with him, is if you give him enough time, he will pick you apart like a thanksgiving turkey.

    If there is any worry I have, it's that.

    But I'm fairly impressed so far, I just don't know we've been really offensively tested as yet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cedar City, Utah
    Posts
    25,527
    I think our Defense has greatly improved just over last year. Maybe it's the schemes. Maybe it's the discipline. They are just kicking butt and taking names so far.

    I do feel however that the Bengals and the Colts will be the ultimate tests as I look ahead on our schedule.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    105
    I'm very glad we get to play the colts during the regular season, that'll be the ultimate combo. If we can beat the best defenses (Ravens, Chargers), and best offenses, I think we will be looking great for anything we meet in the playoffs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,462
    Until we are rated higher than #15 in yards per game, yards per carry.
    We will be worse than last year.

    The only thing we have limited is TD's scored. That might be more attributed to who we have played than our D.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    Until we are rated higher than #15 in yards per game, yards per carry.
    We will be worse than last year.
    I highly, highly doubt that.

    The only thing we have limited is TD's scored. That might be more attributed to who we have played than our D.
    And just for kicks, the four offenses we've faced so far have averaged just over 20 pts/game (St Louis 22.2--Baltimore 17.8).
    Last edited by WABronco; 10-12-2006 at 02:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    193
    i find it funny how on espn theyre saying the broncos d is "medicore" once you take away champ bailey. well, regardless of what they think, we do in fact have champ bailey. how they can pin that term on a defense that has done so well so far just baffles me. they even took away credit for beating the patriots because "its not who you play, but when you play them, and the patriots were fat and happy from being 2-0 and thats why the broncos beat them." sports broadcasters really do have no respect for this team regardless of what they do. shannon sharpe said it best: a team is only as good as its record. in the same manner, a defense is only as good as the results it produces. denver is looking pretty good right now because they are 3-1. likewise their defense is looking great allowing under 9 points a game. i know 4 games is a low sample to look at, but whats better? looking at how good a team might be able to be? obviously there is an insane amount of potential in the nfl, the teams that turn it into results are going to win.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    48
    Denver is allowing fewer points per game than Chicago. The teams Denver has played are a combined 14-5. New England and Baltimore only have one loss each, both thanks to Denver. This is a top notch defense no matter how the sports writers try and tear it down.

    Btw JR points are the only stat that counts. A team can get all the guady offensive stats they want running up and down the field. But if a team doesn't score points they lose and it doesn't matter a damn bit if they have 80 or 800 yards of offense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,260
    Quote Originally Posted by scotto291
    i find it funny how on espn theyre saying the broncos d is "medicore" once you take away champ bailey. well, regardless of what they think, we do in fact have champ bailey. how they can pin that term on a defense that has done so well so far just baffles me. they even took away credit for beating the patriots because "its not who you play, but when you play them, and the patriots were fat and happy from being 2-0 and thats why the broncos beat them." sports broadcasters really do have no respect for this team regardless of what they do. shannon sharpe said it best: a team is only as good as its record. in the same manner, a defense is only as good as the results it produces. denver is looking pretty good right now because they are 3-1. likewise their defense is looking great allowing under 9 points a game. i know 4 games is a low sample to look at, but whats better? looking at how good a team might be able to be? obviously there is an insane amount of potential in the nfl, the teams that turn it into results are going to win.

    They would be mediocre if the they had a brain,but since they don't...

    Really our D is doing great, the fact is that we do have Bailey and if he is injured it might make a difference but it won't kill the D.
    They have set TD records going back to the 1940's.
    They are 10% at allowing scores inside the red zone and they stuffed NE offense with only 1 TD so I think they are doing very well.
    There is room for improvement in that they need to get more sacks and cause more positive turnovers for us.
    From a purely statistical standpoint, there are better D's out there but with our O being one of the lowest scoring O's in the league and still being 3-1, that's says something about the D.

    There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

    I Support our Troops!
    How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston =D
    Posts
    2,282
    Until we are rated higher than #15 in yards per game, yards per carry.
    We will be worse than last year.

    The only thing we have limited is TD's scored. That might be more attributed to who we have played than our D.
    1998, the high-powered Broncos offense is 13-0, about to play lowly New York Giants. We lost our perfect season that day.

    They employed the same tactic. They gave up short plays but protected the end zone. It frustrated us all day.

    It was then I learned that the only thing that matters is how much your opponent scores on you.
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ckdaDookie.png

    My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

    I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,462
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseP
    Denver is allowing fewer points per game than Chicago. The teams Denver has played are a combined 14-5. New England and Baltimore only have one loss each, both thanks to Denver. This is a top notch defense no matter how the sports writers try and tear it down.

    Btw JR points are the only stat that counts. A team can get all the guady offensive stats they want running up and down the field. But if a team doesn't score points they lose and it doesn't matter a damn bit if they have 80 or 800 yards of offense.

    Yes it does matter!

    If your defense is giving up yards between the ten that means they are on the field. Getting tired this is only the 4th game of the year.

    By the end of the year they will be beat to death. Our DL is not the biggest in the league, not do we have much depth, our LBs are one deep and we have but one extra CB. Any injuries and were sucking hind teat. They need to do the 3 and out more than they are.

    Our defense is on the field almost 6 minutes per game more than SAN is.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...15&_1:col_2=12

    Giving up a 100 yards more per game than SAN.
    Giving up a 85 yards more per game than BAL.
    Giving up a 70 yards more per game than CHI.
    Giving up a 50 yards more per game than KC.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...1=4&_1:col_2=6

    Sorry guys this does not hunt. Our smaller bodies are getting pushed around by the bigger offenses and while our speed is great it slows down as the season gets longer.

    So far this year we have played:
    Code:
           yrds    TP      FG
    BAL #28    #18   #7
    NE  #11    #11    #26
    KC  #19    #14   #12
    STL #10    #10    #1
          yrds    TP      FG
    AVG 17     13.3   11.5
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...r?&_3:col_1=14

    Believe what you wish about how great this defense is, it is just a matter of time before it comes home to roost.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,462
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    I highly, highly doubt that.



    And just for kicks, the four offenses we've faced so far have averaged just over 20 pts/game (St Louis 22.2--Baltimore 17.8).
    #15 last year in total yards.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...r?sort_col_1=4

    #19 last year in YPP

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...1=4&_1:col_1=5

    I stand by my post.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Omeeeeeha
    Posts
    9,242
    Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    Until we are rated higher than #15 in yards per game, yards per carry.
    We will be worse than last year.

    The only thing we have limited is TD's scored. That might be more attributed to who we have played than our D.
    Well, jr....a cynical poster would retort that TD's are what you WANT to be leading the league in......

    I'm kinda in the 'wait-n-see' mode, myself.....as it's true, denver HASN'T played any explosive offensive teams to date, BUT, are there any this year? Indy isn't looking like there old selves w/out edge, plus they can't stop the run. That means that a team such as denver COULD run the game down to a 2 possessions/qtr game, putting the onus on forehead to possibly 'rush it', and giving the D a chance for a big play.

    I think the D needs to start practicing for the no-huddle....because both indy and cincy run it to almost perfection, and we saw what the patsy's did with it.

    I think having a good defense is part of getting into the head of the offense, as much as it's actual play. If a team thinks it's going to be hard to get yards/scores against the D, they'll usually gameplan much more conservatively than normal. And if they get behind, they put themselves in a one-dimensional mode, which adds to the advantage for the D.

    Right now, denver's D is making headlines, so it'll be interesting how teams attack it. This week's game isn't going to be a very good indicator, so we'll have to wait to see what happens.

    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

    -- Samuel Adams

    Jacks RULE!!!!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,462
    Has anyone noticed that OAK D is better than ours in:
    total yards.
    YPP.
    Penalty yards.
    Passing defense
    Picks

    Perhaps this week will not be a cake walk afterall.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...L/2006/regular

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    8,055
    Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    Has anyone noticed that OAK D is better than ours in:
    total yards.
    YPP.
    Penalty yards.
    Passing defense
    Picks

    Perhaps this week will not be a cake walk afterall.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...L/2006/regular


    The Oakland defense actually isn't that bad.

    It's just the offense constantly putting them in bad situations.

    If they even had an average offense, they'd be alot tougher.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Omeeeeeha
    Posts
    9,242
    Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    Has anyone noticed that OAK D is better than ours in:
    total yards.
    YPP.
    Penalty yards.
    Passing defense
    Picks

    Perhaps this week will not be a cake walk afterall.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...L/2006/regular
    Um, jr....


    ....who have they played?????
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

    -- Samuel Adams

    Jacks RULE!!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •