Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Failure to adjust doomed Denver - Jeremy Green ESPN

I 100% agree with what he is saying. I think the defensive adjustments were horrible, especially considering how D-Will was getting beat up and down the field.

I have said previously this season that Denver has one of the best defenses in the NFL, and I am still buying that stock even in the wake of their worst defensive performance of the season in a 34-31 home loss to the Colts.

I also still believe Denver defensive coordinator Larry Coyer is one of the best in the business, but his lack of adjustment was the Broncos' undoing against Indianapolis.

Denver is not a heavy blitz team, evidenced by the fact that their linebackers have zero sacks on the season. Middle linebacker Al Wilson and outside linebackers D.J. Williams and Ian Gold are the best LB trio in the league and can all run sideline to sideline, so it seems a little odd that Coyer does not blitz them more considering the speed factor. Still, it's hard to argue with the strategy because the defense has been so successful to this point.

The refusal to adjust that game plan got the best of the Broncos last week, though. Recent history has shown that the best way to disrupt the Colts' offense is to bring blitz pressure and get Peyton Manning on the move. You need to look no further than losses last season to San Diego and Pittsburgh for proof of that, and with the speed the Broncos have at linebacker they had a great opportunity to bring one or two of them and disrupt the Indianapolis passing attack.

Denver never did, though, and at the end of the day that was the difference. The Broncos were never able to get Manning out of rhythm and he had all day to throw his short-to-intermediate crossing routes.

I still believe in the Denver defense, but I do not believe in the game plan that was employed last weekend.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...eremy#20061030
    R.I.P. Darrent Williams

I agree also.

We should have switched it up, Denver does not have the pass rushing line really needed to give success in the Cover 2 scheme, (Man Under, Tampa 2, Cover 3, Cover 4) and it showed yesterday.

Look at the teams who do run it and run it well. Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, etc. They have an emphasis on adding good players to their defensive lines, other teams as well. They've used high picks to help them out on the line, or went through free agency to gain them. We haven't done that. Cugel's post was priceless, I wish I could link to it -- but it was spot on.

Coyer usually makes some decent adjustments, but he didn't this game. Better find something else to do. . . because against Manning, that crap won't work.

nah you are wrong...strategy is over-rated

Well, now you have an *expert* that said it...

Hard to deny something that everyone saw. The game plan yesterday defensively was not good. I don't know if blitzing would have saved the day, but where the game was heading, it sure couldn't have hurt to try.

I just don't get it. Last year the Broncos blitzed constantly. After awhile the blitzes stopped working because everyone knew they were coming. This year the Broncos are hardly blitzing at all. Now the non-blitzing is starting to hurt since the Broncos seem to refuse to bring a bit of extra pressure when it is needed. I would think they could find some sort of middle ground between blitzing and no blitzing

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    We should have switched it up, Denver does not have the pass rushing line really needed to give success in the Cover 2 scheme, (Man Under, Tampa 2, Cover 3, Cover 4) and it showed yesterday.

Look at the teams who do run it and run it well. Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, etc. They have an emphasis on adding good players to their defensive lines, other teams as well. They've used high picks to help them out on the line, or went through free agency to gain them. We haven't done that. Cugel's post was priceless, I wish I could link to it -- but it was spot on.

Coyer usually makes some decent adjustments, but he didn't this game. Better find something else to do. . . because against Manning, that crap won't work.
    Nice post Dream. I thought we might see some kind of halftime adjustments.

Good Analysis

This analysis was excellent. I think that it is possible that we got too comfortable at halftime since we had only given up six points and so we didn't change our plan -- and it came back to bite us BIG TIME!
    Take CARE and God Bless! Dave

R.I.P. D-Will

R.I.P. Damien Nash

Quote Originally Posted by CaseP
    I just don't get it. Last year the Broncos blitzed constantly. After awhile the blitzes stopped working because everyone knew they were coming. This year the Broncos are hardly blitzing at all. Now the non-blitzing is starting to hurt since the Broncos seem to refuse to bring a bit of extra pressure when it is needed. I would think they could find some sort of middle ground between blitzing and no blitzing
    They blitzed too much last season, and it cost the team big on third down, especially in the AFC Championship.

Mike Shanahan made it clear that he wanted to change the philosophy of the defense and have them stick to a more base 4-3 setup.

The middle ground is essentially having four defensive lineman that can pressure the quarterback without having to blitz. Blitzing works, but only if you do it periodically or if you're playing a quarterback that can be pressured by the blitz (like Peyton can, as indicated by New England, San Diego, and Pittsburgh).

*For the record, I think our defensive scheme last year would have worked against Manning and the Colts yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake0416
    This analysis was excellent. I think that it is possible that we got too comfortable at halftime since we had only given up six points and so we didn't change our plan -- and it came back to bite us BIG TIME!
    I think you are correct, and with the Colts scoring so fast and often in the 3rd qtr, possibly did not have time to change it up, but you would have thought after the first quick score in the 3rd by the Colts, that we might have changed up some things the next time they got the ball. But obviously, we did not.

Last year, the biggest criticism of the Broncos defense was that they relied to heavily on the blitz.

Not they get criticized for not blitizing?

I mean, they did have a bad game, but I want that job were I can just offer contradictory opinions from time to time, and get paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    Last year, the biggest criticism of the Broncos defense was that they relied to heavily on the blitz.

Not they get criticized for not blitizing?

I mean, they did have a bad game, but I want that job were I can just offer contradictory opinions from time to time, and get paid for it.
    I think the overall criticism from the media and fans is that the defense doesn't scheme or strategize against individual opponents. Sure, they watch film and try to deduce what an offense is doing during the course of the football game. But instead of game planning and scheming a particular player or offense, they essentially play the same defense each game, and just call a particular defense against what they think the offense is going to do. I think it works initially in the season, but once teams pick up on it, they have confused our defense and burned it, like what happened yesterday. The best game plan would have been disguised blitzes and additional help in the secondary, especially after 6 games of not really blitzing.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730
    I think the overall criticism from the media and fans is that the defense doesn't scheme or strategize against individual opponents. Sure, they watch film and try to deduce what an offense is doing during the course of the football game. But instead of game planning and scheming a particular player or offense, they essentially play the same defense each game, and just call a particular defense against what they think the offense is going to do. I think it works initially in the season, but once teams pick up on it, they have confused our defense and burned it, like what happened yesterday. The best game plan would have been disguised blitzes and additional help in the secondary, especially after 6 games of not really blitzing.
    I thought this was the purpose of watching so much game film of your next opponent. You then put in the exact offensive and defensive game plans that you feel will work. What is the sense of doing this if you are using the same defense each game regardless of who you are playing?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730

No offense, but basically, you are saying that Coyer is coaching like it is 1960.

If what you said were true, I can't imagine that it would work for more than one quarter in the NFL, much less 3 seasons.

A lot of people think we didn't blitz at all this game and it's just not true either, where we weren't blitzing constantly, we did on more than several occasions.