49ers may be on the move out of San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco 49ers ended negotiations with the city about building a new stadium and plan to move to Santa Clara or somewhere else in California, The Associated Press learned Wednesday night.

Owner John York notified Mayor Gavin Newsom of the team's decision earlier Wednesday, a city official close to the negotiations told the AP on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Team spokesman Aaron Salkin declined to comment Wednesday night. Phone messages left on the office and cell phone of Lisa Lang, the 49ers' vice president for communications, were not immediately returned.

The sides had been talking over the past few months about building a privately financed stadium at Candlestick Point that was going to be part of the city's bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Ragone did not know how the 49ers' decision would impact the Olympic bid. San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago are the three cities competing to be the U.S. Olympic Committee's choice to bid on the 2016 games.

The team's lease at Candlestick runs through the 2008 season, and the team holds three five-year options that could extend it through 2023.

The current stadium at Candlestick is one of the most run-down in the NFL, leading the team's desire to seek a new stadium with revenue-generating suites and luxury boxes. The plan to build a stadium also included public housing, retail and office space.

The city was not going to contribute any money to the stadium but was willing to possibly help with infrastructure costs.

York assured San Francisco officials that he was only negotiating with the city, but the team had talked in recent weeks to Santa Clara officials about the move, Ragone said.

The 49ers' headquarters are in Santa Clara, located about 30 miles south of San Francisco.

Los Angeles and Anaheim also are seeking an NFL team. The mayors of the two cities met last month with new commissioner Roger Goodell to offer their competing plans to lure a team back to Southern California.

Los Angeles city leaders want to build a new stadium within the walls of the historic Memorial Coliseum, featuring 200 luxury boxes and 15,000 club seats at a cost of $800 million.

Goodell also met with Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle about his city's plans to sell the NFL 53 acres at the below-market price of $50 million to build a new stadium adjacent to Angel Stadium.

The Los Angeles area hasn't had an NFL team since after the 1994 season, when the Raiders returned to Oakland and the Anaheim-based Rams moved to St. Louis.

Link

Thanks Blondie for the Sig

No big deal. They plan on moving to Santa Clara which is only about 30 miles south of San Francisco.

I like the idea. More lanes so there is less traffic and it is closer to me.

Here is a video where the owner, Dr. John York talks about it.....

Link

He pretty much just says he plans on moving to Santa Clara because Candlestick point in San Francisco can't accommodate everything for the new stadium.

BTW, the name will remain, San Francisco 49ers

York assured fans that despite the shift in focus to Santa Clara, the team would not consider changing its name under any circumstances. “Nothing will persuade us to change the name of the San Francisco 49ers, one of the most storied brands in the world of sports.”
    Also............

If the 49ers are unable to move forward with the project in Santa Clara, the team plans to continue its search for a location for a new stadium exclusively within the Bay Area. “The 49ers have called the Bay Area home for our entire 60 year history. We are a part of the fabric of this region, and we intend to stay right here where we belong,” concluded York.
    http://www.sf49ers.com/pressbox/news...tion=PR%20News

Last edited by SF49erFaithful; 11-09-2006 at 01:52 AM.
    [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/PsychoZombie_Studios/49erSigs/49erfaithful.gif[/IMG]
    Sig by PsychoZombie

i hope you're right about that. . . i've got to admit, i've always disliked the niners, but there's no denying that they're a storied franchise, and it would be a shame to see them relocated. . . especially now, because i honestly think they're at least moving in the right direction in terms of getting the team back to contention-- even if that's not reflected in their record at the end of this season. . .

i would hate to see them moved to LA. . . i just read in PFW that the league may actually be backing off from the idea of putting another team there, as they managed to get a fat new TV deal without a team there. . . and that's fine by me!
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlames

The city was not going to contribute any money to the stadium but was willing to possibly help with infrastructure costs.

Wait.

I'm confused.

Like the new Washington DC Stadium, it was going to be 100% privately financed by the the team, and the city STILL didn't like the terms?

That's dumb.

In this day and age where owners ***** and moan about wanting publicly funded stadiums that generate revenue for the team (corporate welfare, imo), why does San Francisco have a problem with a privately funded stadium? The needed infrastructure changes can't be THAT extensive, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful
    No big deal. They plan on moving to Santa Clara which is only about 30 miles south of San Francisco.

I like the idea. More lanes so there is less traffic and it is closer to me.

Here is a video where the owner, Dr. John York talks about it.....

Link

He pretty much just says he plans on moving to Santa Clara because Candlestick point in San Francisco can't accommodate everything for the new stadium.

BTW, the name will remain, San Francisco 49ers

Also............

Thnx for checking in...

I hope you guys do get back into contention. The 49ers were ruling the league and Montana was in his prime when I started watching football. It just seems weird to me to see you guys where you are. How do most 49er fans feel about York? Is he an owner that the team can win under?

As long as the 'San Fransisco 49ers' name remains, I guess thats what really matters here....
    You've got to know when to sack em...

I dont think they should, because they are a legacy in Sf.

Quote Originally Posted by Nas
    Thnx for checking in...

I hope you guys do get back into contention. The 49ers were ruling the league and Montana was in his prime when I started watching football. It just seems weird to me to see you guys where you are. How do most 49er fans feel about York? Is he an owner that the team can win under?

As long as the 'San Fransisco 49ers' name remains, I guess thats what really matters here....
    Thanks

I like York, and so do most of the informed posters on our MB. However, some of the posters who don't really know their facts like to blame everything on him. He has been labeled as "cheap" by some, reason being I do not know. When Nolan asked for a brand new training field for practice, he paid for it. Also, when our team trainer, Johnnie Parker arrived (When Nolan arrived, he hired him) he wanted all the equipment tossed, and York paid for all the new, better equipment.

As for football decisions, he doesn't really have any part in it like some owners do cough*Al Davis*cough. Nolan makes all the football decisions, we don't have a GM, Mike Nolan does all that, but that's a different story.
    [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/PsychoZombie_Studios/49erSigs/49erfaithful.gif[/IMG]
    Sig by PsychoZombie

Quote Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful
    Thanks

I like York, and so do most of the informed posters on our MB. However, some of the posters who don't really know their facts like to blame everything on him. He has been labeled as "cheap" by some, reason being I do not know. When Nolan asked for a brand new training field for practice, he paid for it. Also, when our team trainer, Johnnie Parker arrived (When Nolan arrived, he hired him) he wanted all the equipment tossed, and York paid for all the new, better equipment.

As for football decisions, he doesn't really have any part in it like some owners do cough*Al Davis*cough. Nolan makes all the football decisions, we don't have a GM, Mike Nolan does all that, but that's a different story.
    I heard you guys are moving in 2012, don't have nothing to worry about than except keep getting wins man.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFanatic
    I heard you guys are moving in 2012, don't have nothing to worry about than except keep getting wins man.

Sig by PsychoZombie