View Poll Results: Who should be the number 2 WR?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith

97 64.67%
  • Kircus

4 2.67%
  • Marshall

49 32.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ORANGE&BLUETRUE
    With BM's huge play at the end of the game last week, he's earned some consideration for more playing time, but still has to prove what he can do. One play does'nt govern a benching to a seasoned vetern who has contributed greatly to this team. Smith has lost a step, but still is one of the better route runners in the league. Throw BM in as a 3rd and this can make for an interesting rest of the season.
    Exactly.

And which pass did BM drop? I didn't know that he had a drop this season, I must have missed it. He did have that fumble that went out of bounds, but nothing on the order of S. Holmes in Pitt.

If anything Rod should stay in at least to finish this year before going #3.
    I think in the long run with Rod giving tough love to Cutler it will ensure the Cutler wont be afraid to get into a Vet's face when he needs to instead of seldom here and there.

Where speed is the key Rod has lost a step and facing young CB's it does put him at a disadvantage. Its like comparing who has an edge if both athletes were in peak physical form a 19 year old runner or a 32 year old runner. 8 out of 10 it would be the 19 year old runner that out guns the 32 year old just because of age alone. Rod and Nalen are mental and team anchors for the Bronco offense.

Marshall is a good mach for Cutler, later on and next year the pass run between, Walker, Cutler and Marshall will be the best pass trio for us. Right now its Rod and Javon, it has to be that for a while so the young QB learns from someone who's been in the org for a very long time.
    McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Bronco
    Baby TO(brandon marshall),lol,needs a SHOT,he can catch,he can RUN AFTER THE CATCH,HE' BIGG AND STRONG, pretty darn fast for being that big.
    oh ya he can BLOCK too.....

I love Rod but he's getting OLD and SLOW

What do you guys think??
    Hey you forgot Seattle cant tackle . Nah I am not knocking BM, I think he has got soe great skill and I am sure he has caught Shanny's eye. Big thing may come to him next season. Does anyone even know if Rod will still be with us next season? (Retiring??? I hope not)
    SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Bronco
    Baby TO(brandon marshall),lol,needs a SHOT,he can catch,he can RUN AFTER THE CATCH,HE' BIGG AND STRONG, pretty darn fast for being that big.
    oh ya he can BLOCK too.....

I love Rod but he's getting OLD and SLOW

What do you guys think??

I'm sure Denver will run more 3 WR sets to get MArshall more involved.

didnt rod just have the best year of his career last season? Jake just got confidence in Javons big play ability and threw it to him everytime this season, so Rod hasnt seen as many balls. I agree that brandon marshall has big play ability and that would be great to have lined up opposite Javon but Rod is the glue that keeps our offense frome imploding in onto itself. we need to have rod in the game, im sure brandon will get more plays after his big run last week though.

Rod has earned being #1 until he decides to step down...

Rod Smith is the man but next I would choose Kircus, he has solid hands, and is Eddy Mac reincarnated!

Rowdy Roddy Smith 4 President!

No

Rod has the best hands on the team. He doesnt have the speed, but he can run the short routes like no one else. Walker gets the deep balls. We dont need another big playmaker, we need a good short route runner to start. Think about it-when plummer would play, he'd roll out and throw deep to...WALKER, not Smith. But if it was just a short pass, it was to Rod. Walker has taken over the job of Lelie and Lelie took the job of McCaffery-The big downfeild playmaker.
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=Red][SIZE=5]BRONCOS ROCK![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

I voted Marshall!
    XBL: The1Executioner

I don't think we want to start the rookie QB, and then surround him with other rookies. Brandon can get his time in the rotation and into the game as the #3, but right now we need veteran leadership in the huddle. We need that veteran savvy and help the young kid out with WRs that are sure to be where they are supposed to be. imo

Quote Originally Posted by #7fan
    Rod has the best hands on the team. He doesnt have the speed, but he can run the short routes like no one else. Walker gets the deep balls. We dont need another big playmaker, we need a good short route runner to start. Think about it-when plummer would play, he'd roll out and throw deep to...WALKER, not Smith. But if it was just a short pass, it was to Rod. Walker has taken over the job of Lelie and Lelie took the job of McCaffery-The big downfeild playmaker.
    well.... we ALWAYS need another playmaker. You can NEVER have too many playmakers.

<- Ready for the salute
    As much as I lover rod and what he has done for our team it might be for the better with him at #3. Or us play more 3 wide receiver sets which we started to show during our previous game.

Even though Shanny opened up like we are going to open up our play book he really kept it vanilla.

But it did help our run and keep their safties pushed back.

I think we should go with mostly single back against SD and for that matter it does not matter who is #2 or #3 if we show more 3-4 wr sets.

I think Rod is getting a lot slower but can be clutch on third down (the fumble was more of great deffense by Seatle whom came out to play)

just my 2 cents

Rod still gets the #2 spot for me.....

He knows the system.....he can still block well.....hes still clutch in his catches....

i know Rod's lost a step but give Marshall till next year to give him the number two spot.....
    "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

-The best in the business-

Quote Originally Posted by TheMastermind
    Rod still gets the #2 spot for me.....

He knows the system.....he can still block well.....hes still clutch in his catches....

i know Rod's lost a step but give Marshall till next year to give him the number two spot.....
    Brandon is CLUTCH,Rod never made a play like that in his nfl LIFE

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...196280,00.html

Krieger: Time catches up even to Broncos' Smith

Dave Krieger

ENGLEWOOD - These are hard times for the most prolific wide receiver in Broncos history.

At 36, Rod Smith is on pace to finish the season with fewer catches and receiving yards than he's ever had as a starter. After a decade as the team's No. 1 receiver, he's now No. 2, and No. 3 is gaining on him.

Smith has caught at least one pass in 120 consecutive games, but he might be happier if the streak had come to an end at 119. It was kept alive Sunday by a single catch for 6 yards that became a fumble and a turnover when Seattle cornerback Marcus Trufant knocked it free.

More ominous, the best play of the day came from rookie wide receiver Brandon Marshall, a 6-foot-4, 22-year-old poised to grow into the offense with fellow rookie Jay Cutler.

Smith declined to speak with the wretches after the game and declined to speak with me Wednesday, so I don't know if he's been contemplating the beginning of the end. But it's easy to imagine him facing the Jerry Rice option next summer - competing against a bunch of kids for the No. 3 receiver job.

Just last year he was still No. 1, putting up 85 catches for 1,105 yards, the eighth 1,000-yard season of a career that defies credulity all these years later. Find an anonymous, undrafted free agent on somebody's practice squad somewhere. That was Rod Smith.

This year, through 12 games, he has 39 catches for 388 yards. His per-catch average is the lowest of his career.

"As an offense, any time you're down in numbers everybody's going to be affected by it," coach Mike Shanahan said. "The thing that's encouraging to me is Rod Smith knows how to win.

"Even though I know he is so disappointed that he doesn't have his normal numbers, he understands what it takes to win and he's one of our best leaders to explain to guys that everybody's got a role and everybody's got a piece of the puzzle. And one person not doing that affects everybody. So even though he's quite disappointed, he's still the leader that he's always been."

One of the tensions in the Broncos locker room is the transition to rookie quarterback Jay Cutler while veterans like Smith, John Lynch and Tom Nalen watch their windows of opportunity closing.

"I'd be lying if I told you sometimes I don't scratch my head about this new generation, but I think everyone goes through that," Lynch said.

"But I thought really that would be a strength of this team in preseason, when some of these young guys really started stepping to the forefront. Because I think when you study the teams that have success in this salary-cap era, that's what you need. You need a great veteran presence, but you really need your youth to come to the forefront also."

I suggested that some ambivalence about the youth movement must remain among veterans looking to win right now.

"It's hard to say that, because you see a guy like Brandon Marshall go out and give us an opportunity to win," Lynch replied. "So those guys are contributing. Do you want more out of them? Always. But we need more out of myself, more out of everybody."

Smith has always been the ultimate team player. The question now is when it will be best for the team for Marshall to move ahead of him into the starting lineup. My guess is next summer.

"It's always tough to make a decision between a guy that's been a great player for you and a guy coming in, if you're going to make the change," Shanahan said.

"But a guy like Brandon is almost in a perfect position with our offense to play sparingly in different personnel groups because he's not ready to play every down. It takes time in terms of knowing what he's doing and understanding everything that we have in.

"Not that he couldn't handle it, but for us to be as effective as we need to be, it would be better for him to come in like he is, spotting Rod or Javon (Walker) when they get tired. And then the process, when a guy you can see is really starting to flourish, which he is right now, he's getting better each week, then he deserves more playing time and you've got to make a decision as a coach on which personnel groupings are going to be most effective."

In other words, look for more of the three-wide-receiver set. In what is suddenly a long shot bid for the playoffs, the Broncos need Walker and Marshall on the field.

In all fairness, Smith's lack of production is not even mostly his fault. The Broncos' dirty little secret is they can't pass protect, especially since Matt Lepsis went down. Even Walker, their leading receiver, has only 53 catches.

Still, for whatever reason, Smith has all but disappeared from the offense. He's been so good for so long, it's hard to see him like this.

Perhaps Cutler will settle in quickly enough to make use of him yet. Perhaps not. Either way, the end is quite suddenly in sight for the best wideout the Broncos ever had.
    I didn't know if this had been posted yet or not, but I thought it was pertinent to the discussion.