Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marshall...

Marshall...

After watching the game live on sunday, I am convinced that we need to start Brandon Marshall opposite Javon and demote Rod to #3. I love and respect Rod and he will always be among my favorite Broncos, but he is not cutting it anymore. He just does not get separation like he used too, seems scared to get those tough catches(maybe because he doesnt want to get a concussion) and he doesnt scare defenders so Javon gets double and triple covered. That totally takes away our only big play threat on offense.

However, with the limited reps Brandon Marshall has gotten, he has shown why people were very impressed with him in training camp and if given the opportunity, could really develope into a big play threat with this offense. He is big enough to go up high and get the ball then get good YAC, but is also fast enough to outrun the corners and safetys after breaking thise tackles, as shown on that amazing play towards the end of the game. He is not afraid to go up for the ball and out jump defenders around him like we saw in the Pittsburgh game, and overall I have been very impressed with him and he deserves a shot to be our #2 receiver.

Rod has been great for us over the years with his consistancy and team first attitude that is missing now-a-days in the NFL and has always been a professinal. He would want the best player playing no matter if it is him, Marshall, or any other wide receivers that out-plys them. One thing is for sure, though. Rod, we you for being such a great leader and teammate for the Denver Broncos organization for the years you have been here, and who would have known some no name from Missouri Southern could have such a great career worth of hall of fame consideration.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/impairedbobcat/newvegasvaultboy2.png?t=1287299316

I like your thinking about Marshall getting more playing time. I will disagree on benching Rod for him though.

What I would like to see happen is for the Broncos to run more three WR sets. I think Marshall's speed and size makes him a dangerous mismatch in the slot. I'd like to see a Safety or a LB cover him.

The guy is proving he can run after the catch, and I'd love to see him get some more PT, but Rod needs to be on the field because he is a reliable target that Jay needs to help him feel comfortable out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ
    I like your thinking about Marshall getting more playing time. I will disagree on benching Rod for him though.

What I would like to see happen is for the Broncos to run more three WR sets. I think Marshall's speed and size makes him a dangerous mismatch in the slot. I'd like to see a Safety or a LB cover him.

The guy is proving he can run after the catch, and I'd love to see him get some more PT, but Rod needs to be on the field because he is a reliable target that Jay needs to help him feel comfortable out there.
    A reliable target that yesterday had one catch ond one fumble.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/impairedbobcat/newvegasvaultboy2.png?t=1287299316

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfreak_56
    After watching the game live on sunday, I am convinced that we need to start Brandon Marshall opposite Javon and demote Rod to #3. I love and respect Rod and he will always be among my favorite Broncos, but he is not cutting it anymore. He just does not get separation like he used too, seems scared to get those tough catches(maybe because he doesnt want to get a concussion) and he doesnt scare defenders so Javon gets double and triple covered. That totally takes away our only big play threat on offense.

However, with the limited reps Brandon Marshall has gotten, he has shown why people were very impressed with him in training camp and if given the opportunity, could really develope into a big play threat with this offense. He is big enough to go up high and get the ball then get good YAC, but is also fast enough to outrun the corners and safetys after breaking thise tackles, as shown on that amazing play towards the end of the game. He is not afraid to go up for the ball and out jump defenders around him like we saw in the Pittsburgh game, and overall I have been very impressed with him and he deserves a shot to be our #2 receiver.

Rod has been great for us over the years with his consistancy and team first attitude that is missing now-a-days in the NFL and has always been a professinal. He would want the best player playing no matter if it is him, Marshall, or any other wide receivers that out-plys them. One thing is for sure, though. Rod, we you for being such a great leader and teammate for the Denver Broncos organization for the years you have been here, and who would have known some no name from Missouri Southern could have such a great career worth of hall of fame consideration.
    I have to agree. I love Rod but the team comes before everything.
    XBL: The1Executioner

A reliable target that yesterday had one catch ond one fumble.
    True but look at Rod's career. He is the epitome of the word reliable, and a wonderful team leader and role model for the younger guys. Yes we could've done without that fumble, but thats rare for Rod. Check your CP's.

True but look at Rod's career. He is the epitome of the word reliable, and a wonderful team leader and role model for the younger guys. Yes we could've done without that fumble, but thats rare for Rod. Check your CP's.
    Rod is a shell of himself. He has just taken a nosedive from where he was last year.
    Your past has nothing to do with your production in the present, or else Jerry Rice would not have retired.

Rod is a shell of himself. He has just taken a nosedive from where he was last year.
    Your past has nothing to do with your production in the present, or else Jerry Rice would not have retired.
    Thats true, Rod is not what he once was, but your QB can have everything to do with your production. Just making a point, but please please don't everyone else turn this into a QB debate thread.

About Jerry Rice though, remember when everyone in SF thought he was done and sent him to Oakland? He had another 2 or 3 GREAT years for the Raiders. I just hope we're not all too quick to give up on Rod.

Rod is needed as the leader of the offense. Plus, his fumble was inevitable. Anyone would fumble on that play. It's physics. Even Bettis would fumble on that play. It happened to him last season. He was hit the same way and he fumbled.

Rod could be great if he was passed to more often.

Plus, Rod is one of the best blockers on the team.

It would truly pain me, and I'm pretty sure all other Broncos fans to see Rod wearing another uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by NickTranOwnz
    Rod is needed as the leader of the offense. Plus, his fumble was inevitable. Anyone would fumble on that play. It's physics. Even Bettis would fumble on that play. It happened to him last season. He was hit the same way and he fumbled.

Rod could be great if he was passed to more often.

Plus, Rod is one of the best blockers on the team.

It would truly pain me, and I'm pretty sure all other Broncos fans to see Rod wearing another uniform.

Rod isn't catching passes because he cannot separate from average CB's, I love the guy, but I think its over

Marshall is our future #2, no doubt about it. This year Rod is our #2 (which is not bad at all) and I highly doubt you will see Rod as a #3 in 2006/2007. His leadership on the field is second to none and it would be a great loss not to have him on the field.

Agreed on all points.

Three wideout sets also disguise the run a little, too; the main thing hurting our offense, IMHO, is we're getting too predictable, in part because for whatever reason our reliable production has been almost exclusively from the run (though losing Matt Lepsis hasn't helped either. ) But yeah, I think Cutler needs Rod out there and I'm hoping things will gradually improve over the next few games and give us a spark for next season even if we can't make the playoffs (which is far from a given. )

Is Rods streak of games with a catch still alive, by the way?

Brandon has plenty of potential, yes. But I don't think he's done enough to warrant promotion up to 2nd WR. Yes, the play vs Seattle was great but come on, that was the worst display of tackling I have seen in a long time.

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Bench Rod Smith. He doesnt make any plays anymore, he can easily get covered by a no.2 CB, he doesnt get open. His time is up. We all love him obviously but its time to move on. We should bring Rod in on 3rd downs like Wayne Chrebet but we have to start Marshall and Walker now.

I think this will be Rods last year, and I'd rather have him play it out. He's done so much for our team over the years he's played with em that he deserves to to finish the year he started. He's not playing bad. hes done pretty decent all year. Hes still a reliable wideout and should get the starting spot. Brandon is good but he still lacks some of the experience that the other wideouts have.

I want judge him off of that one play, but I do agree, are atleast give him more opportunites to make some plays, i see he doesnt mind going over the middle either. With that in mind i think Elvis needs alot more reps also. In preseason he was was in one every play are somewhere in the area, the guy has a great motor and I would hate for him to be one of those players that Mike lets go in a couple of years and does great for another team like Berry and Reggie Hayward.