Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is This The Beginning Of the End For Lepsis?

I saw an article in the News today that surprised me and not in a good way! JrWiz also spotted the same piece and commented in another thread, but this is important news.

I don't know whether Shanahan goes out this off-season and gets a new starting LT, but this ain't good folks!

Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    Also in that article and more important is The following

LEPSIS ON THE MEND: Left tackle Matt Lepsis needed microfracture surgery when he went under the knife Nov. 7 to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, an even more serious procedure than just repairing the ACL. He'll remain on crutches for about two more weeks before he can begin any weight-bearing exercises.

A microfracture procedure is when small holes are drilled into the bone to cause some bleeding and create substitute cartilage.
    Lepsis, who is wearing a bulky brace on his leg, previously had a similar procedure performed on his left knee and came back to become one of the steadiest players at his position in the league.

His current rehabilitation is focused on keeping range of motion and retaining strength in his quadriceps surrounding the surgically repaired area before beginning gradual weight-bearing work.

The tackle is expected to be healed in time for 2007 training camp, and perhaps ready for a minicamp in June.

This was the begining of the end for most Broncos that have had this done. TD is the most important one that comes to mind although someone had it done a year or so ago and is gone also.
    I thought this was so important that I was going to start a new thread about it before I saw your post, so giving due credit, I'm quoting you as well.

Not only TD's career ended when they had that surgery.

Courtney Brown had it too, and now has had a SECOND micro-fracture surgery on the same knee after his knee kept swelling up and failed to respond to arthroscopic surgery. I think Brown's career is over. Almost certainly his Bronco career is over.

But, for your starting left tackle, one of the PREMIER positions on the team and a player whom the Broncos just paid a king's ransom to sign to a long-term contract this off-season, this is horrible news.

First of all, despite the "happy-talk" tone of the article, this surgery is NOT routine and sometimes it doesn't work (Terrell Davis is the worst example).

Davis never recovered from his knee injury. The surgery was a "success" but there was too little cartilage left in the knee and it flared up whenever he tried to practice on it.

We'll have to watch Lepsis closely next season to see if he's really recovered.

If you see him sitting out the pre-season or missing games or having arthroscopic surgery on the same knee to remove "loose chips" -- think "uh, oh!"

If I were Mike Shanahan I'd be looking for a solid veteran backup at LT in case Lepsis is NOT ready to go next year.

Sadly, he might not ever be the same player again. Especially since the Broncos linemen depend on speed, not brute strength.

You can't run fast on bad knees.

Kizla in his usual blunt style points to the problem:
    In all fairness, Rod Smith's lack of production is not even mostly his fault. The Broncos' dirty little secret is they can't pass protect, especially since Matt Lepsis went down. Even Walker, their leading receiver, has only 53 catches.
    The OL has been bad this year at pass-protection. This has been disguised by the fact that both Plummer and Cutler are very mobile QBs. Both scramble readily to get out of trouble and regularly succeed.

If the Broncos had an immobile QB like many in the league, the sacks would be a lot more.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

You bring up a great point about Lepsis. It will be interesting to see how he responds next year, and it is a devastating loss for the Broncos already, and especially if he doesn't come back. I will make a point and say that E Pears has been fairly impressive so far for a relative unknown. I also think we have decent depth at Tackle with Foster and Meadows over on the other side.

CP to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ
    You bring up a great point about Lepsis. It will be interesting to see how he responds next year, and it is a devastating loss for the Broncos already, and especially if he doesn't come back. I will make a point and say that E Pears has been fairly impressive so far for a relative unknown. I also think we have decent depth at Tackle with Foster and Meadows over on the other side.

CP to you!!
    I would have to say that Erik Pears has done O.k. -- for a rookie, but that's not saying a lot.

Frankly, we just don't know how well he'll develop. You can't assume that because he does a barely adequte job as a rookie he'll blossom into a star later. He might, he might not.

When Roc Alexander was pressed into duty and got burned by Reggie Wayne that didn't give him a head start at becomming a better CB later. He still sucked the next year and this year as well -- he didn't even make the team. Sometimes a guy just doesn't improve much, look at Robert Gallery, the #2 pick in the entire NFL draft for the Raiders a few years ago. He's struggled ever since and now is a barely adequate OL.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

No i dont think lepsis done,id like to be able to move him back to the right side of the line. Once nails retires move hamilton to center Kuper to left guardand slide lepsis back to the right
    Last edited by OrangeShadow; 12-07-2006 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeShadow
    No i dont think lepsis done,id like to be able to move him back to the right side of the line. Once nails retires move hamilton to center Kuper to left guardand slide lepsis back to the right
    First off if Lepsis is done or has lost a step, Denver will not play the left side, right side game. Lepsis is making left tackle money, and a top that Pears is a natural right tackle. Denver will draft someone to be behind him or in case he does not return to old form. Pears will be our starting right tackle next season. Second, Hamilton is liable to be traded. Foster is probably being moved to Guard, Kuper has had a rough time even in practice and may be a backup for a year or two before he is capable. Myers is likely to be Denver's next great center, so this could be very bad, because it will mean we need to focus not only on a capable starting guard but a tackle as well.
    ...Master Protagonist...

I believe Lepsis had micro fracture done on the same knee or the other knee a couple years ago. A number of linemen have had it done and have continued their career after it. When TD had it done, it was stated publically that it wasn't being done in order to attempt a comeback, but in order to reduce his discomfort in the knee as he moved on in life after football.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lancane
    First off if Lepsis is done or has lost a step, Denver will not play the left side, right side game. Lepsis is making left tackle money, and a top that Pears is a natural right tackle. Denver will draft someone to be behind him or in case he does not return to old form. Pears will be our starting right tackle next season. Second, Hamilton is liable to be traded. Foster is probably being moved to Guard, Kuper has had a rough time even in practice and may be a backup for a year or two before he is capable. Myers is likely to be Denver's next great center, so this could be very bad, because it will mean we need to focus not only on a capable starting guard but a tackle as well.
    Personally, I believe Pears has done very well for no more experience than he has.
    We must remember that Lepsis was a RT, too, and had his share of problems after
    switching over . . . and he had considerably more experience than does Pears. I'm
    not so sure we should be so worried, frankly.

But the same token, Kuper has had problems . . . why? Could it be that he is a
    rookie, too? Shanny said that the difference between a first and second year player
    is considerable. Kuper has the goods. I dont' think a line composed of Meadows,
    Kuper, Myers, Foster, and Pears sounds so bad . . . although I could be wrong.

Having said that, I would dearly love to see a healthy Lepsis back in his spot.

-----

There is absolutely no reason with a tackle class loaded like this that we avoid using a first-day selection on one. NO REASON AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    There is absolutely no reason with a tackle class loaded like this that we avoid using a first-day selection on one. NO REASON AT ALL.
    Accept possibly that we will need to get one or more D-linemen, possibly a safety and probably a WR. I am not sure that an O tackle is among the biggest needs.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lancane

No chance Foster moves inside, he has adequate footwork but he does not have the agility or quickness to reach the second level... it won't happen, it can't. Myers has great potential at Guard and Center but if Eslinger comes to form HE WILL be the next center for Denver (one maybe two more years). The main position on line that will need to be addressed is left tackle.

LT: Lepsis (unless he's injured)
    LG: Kuper
    OC: Eslinger
    RG: Myers
    RT: Pears

This will be the line Denver has in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    NONE?

1. Dline
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    Accept possibly that we will need to get one or more D-linemen, possibly a safety and probably a WR. I am not sure that an O tackle is among the biggest needs.
    Exactly right, Tned...

...some people forget that Denver Olinemen are late rounders that other teams pass on....

....and that the one 1st rounder Shanny HAS picked, is only starting again because of injury to a player that was out of the league.....
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Personally, I believe Pears has done very well for no more experience than he has.
    We must remember that Lepsis was a RT, too, and had his share of problems after
    switching over . . . and he had considerably more experience than does Pears. I'm
    not so sure we should be so worried, frankly.

But the same token, Kuper has had problems . . . why? Could it be that he is a
    rookie, too? Shanny said that the difference between a first and second year player
    is considerable. Kuper has the goods. I dont' think a line composed of Meadows,
    Kuper, Myers, Foster, and Pears sounds so bad . . . although I could be wrong.

Having said that, I would dearly love to see a healthy Lepsis back in his spot.

-----
    Meadows has his problems, plus he came out of retirement! Kuper is a rookie, he may get better...but there are no guarantees. Myers I believe will take over for Nalen and be our next long-term center. Foster if he is not traded and he does move to guard will likely find his place and succeed. Hamilton is almost a sure trade, makes sense too because his trade value right now is the highest of all our linemen. Pears I like, he will either be like Lepsis and succeed at the left or right, but I think being he is a natural right tackle only helps us. And again Lepsis is closing on age, along with the injuries...well even if he does return, I expect the Broncos to draft O-Line, for depth as well.

Our line right now is on the verge of falling apart, and if Denver wants to stay in the upper echelon they need to keep it somewhat steady. Denver is likely to bring in a free agent or two for depth and to compete at the guard spots, and they are very likely to draft a tackle on day one of the draft, that is my opinion.
    ...Master Protagonist...

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak
    NONE?

1. Dline
    MIKE SHANAHAN!

You forget he is an offensive coach, that and when was the last time he drafted a top D-Lineman? Enough said, we may want it, may need it...does not mean it will happen.

...Master Protagonist...

Quote Originally Posted by TU_HurricaneDB
    No chance Foster moves inside, he has adequate footwork but he does not have the agility or quickness to reach the second level... it won't happen, it can't. Myers has great potential at Guard and Center but if Eslinger comes to form HE WILL be the next center for Denver (one maybe two more years). The main position on line that will need to be addressed is left tackle.

LT: Lepsis (unless he's injured)
    LG: Kuper
    OC: Eslinger
    RG: Myers
    RT: Pears

This will be the line Denver has in a year or two.
    First off, not to get razzled by your sad retort...but Foster was a guard before he became a tackle, thank you. And Lepsis is getting closer to the end, he is not a spring chicken their pal, we all know that. And Eslinger is not even 2nd string center right now, that is Myers, and that is who Jay is use to.

LT: Chase Johnson - Wyoming (2007 Draft)
    LG: Chris Kuper
    C: Chris Myers
    RG: George Foster
    RT: Erik Pears

...Master Protagonist...