Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    Posts
    337

    Elvis Dumervil, Shawne Merriman & DeMarcus Ware

    Why don't we utilize this guy in an up position? I.E. Shawne Merriman & DeMarcus Ware. I think he would thrive in that spot and lead the league in sacks by 5-8 every year. He would dominate!
    Last edited by Shanahanaramjam; 12-09-2006 at 01:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    464
    elvis is good but comparing him to merriman is just plain stupid....merriman is an elite steroid using freak...elvis is not

  3. #3
    because we don't play a 3-4. . . . .


    oh, and because elvis would get utterly exposed as a linebacker. . . . he's too straight-linish, he lacks change-of-direction skills-- he isn't athletic enough to flip his hips and turn and run in coverage, he would be lost playing in space. . . also, he has no experience there that i know of. . . .

    besides, what's wrong with him playing at his natural position of defensive end? no offense, but i just don't understand the obsession on these boards with moving players to different positions. . . . why do so many people always assume that a guy would be so much better playing somewhere else than where he's at? don't you guys think the coaches know what they're doing? they're paid professionals, after all. . . . they actually know what it takes to play pro football, they watch these guys in practice every day as well as spending hours breaking down film of every single play-- don't you think they understand guys' capabilities and do everything they can to put them in the best position to succeed, and maximze their abilities? elvis is a solid rotational pass rusher for us, let's not compare him to guys that were the 11th and 12th overall picks in the draft a few years ago. . . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

    rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    144
    san diego = 3-4 defense
    dallas = 3-4 defense
    denver = 4-3 defense

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    Posts
    337
    I'm not comparing the skill set of these guys just using them as a reference. I think Elvis should be used more then a situational pass rusher. He is better than that

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    568
    If we did run a 3-4 defense we would get plenty of edge pass rush from DJ and Ian, we would not need to stick Dumervil back there. We just do not have the defensive line to run a 3-4. We barely have the defensive line to run a 4-3. Elvis needs to develop more. He has not had the production he had early in the year once teams had a chance to scout him and start double teaming him. He needs to evolve into an every down player. It is not a matter of him not being used enough, its a matter of he will get more snaps once he develops. He is doing well as a situational pass rusher, and is probably the best on the team even though he is a rookie. But he would get exposed if used in more roles until he gets better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,461
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBroncos84
    If we did run a 3-4 defense we would get plenty of edge pass rush from DJ and Ian, we would not need to stick Dumervil back there. We just do not have the defensive line to run a 3-4. We barely have the defensive line to run a 4-3. Elvis needs to develop more. He has not had the production he had early in the year once teams had a chance to scout him and start double teaming him. He needs to evolve into an every down player. It is not a matter of him not being used enough, its a matter of he will get more snaps once he develops. He is doing well as a situational pass rusher, and is probably the best on the team even though he is a rookie. But he would get exposed if used in more roles until he gets better.

    I think your being optimistic in that evaluation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,648
    we have way to much money invested to make the switch to a 3-4 first off all. Secondly it would take probably a full year to get the personell needed when in thr 4-3 we just need a couple dominant dlineman

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,367

    Still think we could do it.

    We just need a NT and an ILB. Warren might could be the former in a rotation, but Ekuban and Lang are both quality starting ends; Lang has six sacks for us this year and I still love that play last Sunday when Ekuban lliterally chased Alexander from one side of the field to the other to tackle him for a loss. All by himself, one on one in the open field, without help for either guy: Alexander left for -2 (E. Ekuban. ) D.J. lists at 242; put 10 lbs. on him and he's a typical 3-4 OLB, just like Dumervil. Or if Dumervil can't in fact cover as well, make him an ILB and have Al play OLB along with D.J. Either way, we'd just need a NT (if Warren can't start as one like he was about to do in Cleveland) and an ILB (and by the way, Chucky was a LB in college. ) After that we're drafting backups, though we would need to do some retooling of our BACKUP LBs to run a 3-4, and if both Chucky and Dumervil went to LB we'd need to get backups for Lang and Ekuban.

    But yes, the answer to the question is "because the Cowboys and Chargers run a 3-4, like the two team that beat the Colts in route to 4 of the last 5 SBs, and we run a 4-3. " In terms of disguising blitzes and blitzers as well as covering check down receivers the 3-4 is better, but it doesn't do as well against the run; however, since the League is increasingly oriented toward the passing game the 3-4 makes more sense if you have the speed to run it, which we obviously do.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    464
    in a 3-4 you need big DEs....like trvor pryce or reggie hayward size, 285lbs+ so that they can fill up gaps to allow the LBs to run plays down...our DEs are tiny, lang is what? 260? and ekuban cant be much over 270

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    6,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Morambar
    We just need a NT and an ILB. Warren might could be the former in a rotation, but Ekuban and Lang are both quality starting ends; Lang has six sacks for us this year and I still love that play last Sunday when Ekuban lliterally chased Alexander from one side of the field to the other to tackle him for a loss.

    They're not quality ends for a 3-4.

    They both left Cleveland because Cleveland made the switch to a 3-4.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanahanaramjam
    I'm not comparing the skill set of these guys just using them as a reference. I think Elvis should be used more then a situational pass rusher. He is better than that

    He is a liability in run defense, thats why he only comes in on 3rd down and passing situations, if he was in every play, teams would just run to his side every play. There are TE and FB that are bigger then he is....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,091
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish
    because we don't play a 3-4. . . . .


    oh, and because elvis would get utterly exposed as a linebacker. . . . he's too straight-linish, he lacks change-of-direction skills-- he isn't athletic enough to flip his hips and turn and run in coverage, he would be lost playing in space. . . also, he has no experience there that i know of. . . .

    besides, what's wrong with him playing at his natural position of defensive end? no offense, but i just don't understand the obsession on these boards with moving players to different positions. . . . why do so many people always assume that a guy would be so much better playing somewhere else than where he's at? don't you guys think the coaches know what they're doing? they're paid professionals, after all. . . . they actually know what it takes to play pro football, they watch these guys in practice every day as well as spending hours breaking down film of every single play-- don't you think they understand guys' capabilities and do everything they can to put them in the best position to succeed, and maximze their abilities? elvis is a solid rotational pass rusher for us, let's not compare him to guys that were the 11th and 12th overall picks in the draft a few years ago. . . .
    I agree with this in general, even though I was the one to post a whole 3-4 discussion a month back or so. However I still think that Ian Gold would make one hell of a safety.

    The only thing that can stop the ninja.
    Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •