Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

On Their Way Out...Hopefully

At this time of year, with the season unravelling, it's time to look ahead and see who should pay the price for this season of wither...

I would start with Jake Plummer, but that's too easy. His salary-cap number by itself will guarantee a one-way ticket to Minnesota, or Buffalo, or Cleveland or...wherever. I just hope we can catch some team with a coaching staff desparate enough to try and win now that we can pry a second round draft pick out of them. Fingers crossed...

1.) Larry Coyer. What is there to say? When you cannot figure out how to defend the pass in a game that is pass-happy, how can you expect to keep your job??
    A word of advice, Larry: Retire at seasons end and keep your dignity. Don't make Shanahan have to fire you.
    Suggested replacement: Jim Bates. The former Miami Defensive Coordinator is all too familiar with defending Mr. PeytatoHead and the Baloney Ponies (er, Colts...).
    He did a very nice job in starting the rebuilding process in Green Bay last year before deciding he did not want to work for Mike McCarthy, and took this season off. Bates is an older chap, but a three year deal should be enough to further prepare Bob Slowik to eventually take over, although if Coyer is given his walking papers, Slowik would be even money to get the job now. However, Bates would be the better choice.
    As far as other Coaches go, WR Coach Steve Watson should also be relieved of his duties, as he has yet to develop a young receiver, and Special Teams Coach Ronnie Bradfor should be reduce to a ST assistant or re-assigned altogether. I would not fire him, because he is young and smart and I do think he has some promise, but he is not ready to run the show just yet at any positon.

2.) Tatum 'Tater' Bell. I still believe Tater is being showcased for an offseason move outta dodge. Shanahan has never been a big believer in him and is really going with him now by default. Tater is the ultimate tease. As he showed against Baltimore and New England earlier this season, he can, at times carry the load, run tough and be all you want to see as a tailback. Until he stubs his toe and is on the shelf for a month, anyway. That has been his MO. Look great one week, be inactive the next. He is also a poor fit for the Broncos scheme IMO. The ideal destination? The NY Giants as a replacement for Tiki Barber. Running alongside Brandon Jacobs would keep Bell's carries to a manageable level, and his style would be the perfect compliment to Jacobs. All of this can be yours, Giants, for your 2007 second round pick. Deal?

3.) Rod Smith. Because of his contributions and dedication to the team in the past, Rod Smith should be offered a one year deal worth about $1 mil with incentives if he produces in 2007. But he should be released as a prelude to free agency, because he no longer warrants the type of jack he is being paid. I know this seems cruel, but the Broncos simply cannot continue to pay him like a premier player when he is no longer one.

4.)Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, George Foster. Like Smith, Nalen is a Bronco great and a border-line Hall of Famer...but he is also fish out of water with Jay Cutler. Cutler had three snafu's in the exchange from Center against SD, and has commented publicly that Nalen is an awkward Center for him because he squats so low to the ground. Bottom line; With a new young QB, we should not be pairing him with an aging (and declining) vet like Nalen. Now is the time to see what Greg Eslinger has, who Cutler played and trained with during camp and who is a good fit for the Bronco Offense. Ben Hamiltgon is a 283lb weakling of a guard that gets his tail kicked by big DT's on a constant basis. It is a major reason the Broncos have had pass protection problems up the middle this year, and he should be a Center or nothing in our Offense, But since he is also grossly over-piad, and is not a marketdly better prospect than Eslinger, he should hit the road as well. George Foster has worn out his welcome here with mental breakdowns and slow feet, and will be replaced in 2007 by Erik Pears if Lepsis returns. Hopefully, the Broncos can salvage some mid-round draft picks for both Hamilton and Foster and that Nalen will simply retire.

5.) Jason Elam. Yes he has been money and yes he is another beloved Bronco. But he also is as fragile as a pane of glass as evidencd by his hamstring troubles the last few years, and the fact that he is an obstacle for the Broncos to overcome on Special Teams because he can't kick off..and his $1.6 mil salary-cap number is no bargain either. Jason, retire already!

6.) Coutney Brown. This is probably a formality, but the Broncos cannot go into the offseason in anyway counting on this guy. He is not even worth the roster spot at this point. Cut him and move on.

7.) Michael Myers. Myers has been a nice player and contributed, but he will also be 32 next season and does not warrant an extension beyond two years. He will probably get that in free agency, however, and for the Broncos, it is time to start weeding out the 'Browncos'. Let him walk in free agency.

8.) TE Nate Jackson and DE John Engleberger. They are OK to return for Training Camp next sesason as Camp Fodder, but neither should be on the roster in 2007, period.

9.) Ian Gold. Gold, along with Ben Hamilton, are the two most over-rated veteran players on the entire Bronco squad. Gold gets paid like an All Pro, but is no where near that level. Just look at the numbers. Sacks? INT's? Forced or recovered fumbles?? The guys simply makes no plays on Defense, other than an occasional flash here and there, but for his salary, he should be more than that. Take his money and use it elsewhere, because it is wasted on Gold.

10.) Keith Burns. With Mike Leach occupying a roster spot as a long-snapper, as well as two kickers and two designated kick returners, we have already designated too many roster spots to one-dimensional players. Burns has been rumored to be considering retirement and becoming a ST's Coach for the Broncos. Here' hoping he takes it, because Ronnie Bradford's job should be open...

11.) John Lynch. You have been a great Pro and have provided the Broncos with three very good years of service, but the time has come to call it a career. You are now a step (or two) too slow to play in today's NFL, and a lucrative post-career career waits in the wings as a commentator. You have been a great player and a Champion, but it's over. Please retire.....Now.

12.) Darrent Williams. I am sorry, but after a teasingly mis-leading rookie season, it is clear this kid is nothing more than a nickle corner. I personally would rather give Dominique Foxworth the nod next year and move D Will for whatever we can get. But he is NOT starter quality, and if you think he is, you will continue to be disappointed in the future.

Well, there it is. The Broncos have too much money tied into too many aging vets. With Cutler at the helm, we are a young team. There is no reason to have expensive or ineffective aging vets around that wonder how many seasons they have left. In additon, the Coaching staff needs to be cleaned up and we need to make some moe progress through free agency and the draft.

How well will this be accomplished?

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by MindField; 12-12-2006 at 10:19 AM.

I agree with everything with the exception of Nate Jackson. He has not been given much of a chance and he does make plays when given the opportunioty. I think that Alexander is gone. He has been a bust.

Are you for real? Wow.

You forgot Bucky and Thunder.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Quote Originally Posted by MindField
    At this time of year, with the season unravelling, it's time to look ahead and see who should pay the price for this season of wither...

I would start with Jake Plummer, but that's too easy. His salary-cap number by itself will guarantee a one-way ticket to Minnesota, or Buffalo, or Cleveland or...wherever. I just hope we can catch some team with a coaching staff desparate enough to try and win now that we can pry a second round draft pick out of them. Fingers crossed...

1.) Larry Coyer. What is there to say? When you cannot figure out how to defend the pass in a game that is pass-happy, how can you expect to keep your job??
    A word of advice, Larry: Retire at seasons end and keep your dignity. Don't make Shanahan have to fire you.
    Suggested replacement: Jim Bates. The former Miami Defensive Coordinator is all too familiar with defending Mr. PeytatoHead and the Baloney Ponies (er, Colts...).
    He did a very nice job in starting the rebuilding process in Green Bay last year before deciding he did not want to work for Mike McCarthy, and took this season off. Bates is an older chap, but a three year deal should be enough to further prepare Bob Slowik to eventually take over, although if Coyer is given his walking papers, Slowik would be even money to get the job now. However, Bates would be the better choice.
    As far as other Coaches go, WR Coach Steve Watson should also be relieved of his duties, as he has yet to develop a young receiver, and Special Teams Coach Ronnie Bradfor should be reduce to a ST assistant or re-assigned altogether. I would not fire him, because he is young and smart and I do think he has some promise, but he is not ready to run the show just yet at any positon.

2.) Tatum 'Tater' Bell. I still believe Tater is being showcased for an offseason move outta dodge. Shanahan has never been a big believer in him and is really going with him now by default. Tater is the ultimate tease. As he showed against Baltimore and New England earlier this season, he can, at times carry the load, run tough and be all you want to see as a tailback. Until he stubs his toe and is on the shelf for a month, anyway. That has been his MO. Look great one week, be inactive the next. He is also a poor fit for the Broncos scheme IMO. The ideal destination? The NY Giants as a replacement for Tiki Barber. Running alongside Brandon Jacobs would keep Bell's carries to a manageable level, and his style would be the perfect compliment to Jacobs. All of this can be yours, Giants, for your 2007 second round pick. Deal?

3.) Rod Smith. Because of his contributions and dedication to the team in the past, Rod Smith should be offered a one year deal worth about $1 mil with incentives if he produces in 2007. But he should be released as a prelude to free agency, because he no longer warrants the type of jack he is being paid. I know this seems cruel, but the Broncos simply cannot continue to pay him like a premier player when he is no longer one.

4.)Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, George Foster. Like Smith, Nalen is a Bronco great and a border-line Hall of Famer...but he is also fish out of water with Jay Cutler. Cutler had three snafu's in the exchange from Center against SD, and has commented publicly that Nalen is an awkward Center for him because he squats so low to the ground. Bottom line; With a new young QB, we should not be pairing him with an aging (and declining) vet like Nalen. Now is the time to see what Greg Eslinger has, who Cutler played and trained with during camp and who is a good fit for the Bronco Offense. Ben Hamiltgon is a 283lb weakling of a guard that gets his tail kicked by big DT's on a constant basis. It is a major reason the Broncos have had pass protection problems up the middle this year, and he should be a Center or nothing in our Offense, But since he is also grossly over-piad, and is not a marketdly better prospect than Eslinger, he should hit the road as well. George Foster has worn out his welcome here with mental breakdowns and slow feet, and will be replaced in 2007 by Erik Pears if Lepsis returns. Hopefully, the Broncos can salvage some mid-round draft picks for both Hamilton and Foster and that Nalen will simply retire.

5.) Jason Elam. Yes he has been money and yes he is another beloved Bronco. But he also is as fragile as a pane of glass as evidencd by his hamstring troubles the last few years, and the fact that he is an obstacle for the Broncos to overcome on Special Teams because he can't kick off..and his $1.6 mil salary-cap number is no bargain either. Jason, retire already!

6.) Coutney Brown. This is probably a formality, but the Broncos cannot go into the offseason in anyway counting on this guy. He is not even worth the roster spot at this point. Cut him and move on.

7.) Michael Myers. Myers has been a nice player and contributed, but he will also be 32 next season and does not warrant an extension beyond two years. He will probably get that in free agency, however, and for the Broncos, it is time to start weeding out the 'Browncos'. Let him walk in free agency.

8.) TE Nate Jackson and DE John Engleberger. They are OK to return for Training Camp next sesason as Camp Fodder, but neither should be on the roster in 2007, period.

9.) Ian Gold. Gold, along with Ben Hamilton, are the two most over-rated veteran players on the entire Bronco squad. Gold gets paid like an All Pro, but is no where near that level. Just look at the numbers. Sacks? INT's? Forced or recovered fumbles?? The guys simply makes no plays on Defense, other than an occasional flash here and there, but for his salary, he should be more than that. Take his money and use it elsewhere, because it is wasted on Gold.

10.) Keith Burns. With Mike Leach occupying a roster spot as a long-snapper, as well as two kickers and two designated kick returners, we have already designated too many roster spots to one-dimensional players. Burns has been rumored to be considering retirement and becoming a ST's Coach for the Broncos. Here' hoping he takes it, because Ronnie Bradford's job should be open...

11.) John Lynch. You have been a great Pro and have provided the Broncos with three very good years of service, but the time has come to call it a career. You are now a step (or two) too slow to play in today's NFL, and a lucrative post-career career waits in the wings as a commentator. You have been a great player and a Champion, but it's over. Please retire.....Now.

12.) Darrent Williams. I am sorry, but after a teasingly mis-leading rookie season, it is clear this kid is nothing more than a nickle corner. I personally would rather give Dominique Foxworth the nod next year and move D Will for whatever we can get. But he is NOT starter quality, and if you think he is, you will continue to be disappointed in the future.

Well, there it is. The Broncos have too much money tied into too many aging vets. With Cutler at the helm, we are a young team. There is no reason to have ex*****ive or ineffective aging vets around that wonder how many seasons they have left. In additon, the Coaching staff needs to be cleaned up and we need to make some moe progress through free agency and the draft.

How well will this be accomplished?

Stay tuned.
    Getting rid of Gold would be a terrible mistake, you cant judge someones value to a team by their sacks and interceptions.

Now is the time to see what Greg Eslinger has, who Cutler played and trained with during camp and who is a good fit for the Bronco Offense.
    Hamilton is the backup Center and the one who Cutler has the most reps with. It was even mentioned by one of the commentors in the game Sunday.
    11/6/11 - The day the Oakland Raiders got raptured!

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by dman444
    Getting rid of Gold would be a terrible mistake, you cant judge someones value to a team by their sacks and interceptions.

If you can't judge a player by the plays he does (or in Gold's case, doesn't) make, how can you judge him?

Gold struggles at staying with Tight Ends. The guy is horrible in coverage period. He along with Lynch and wilson have been the main reasons why we keep allowing big passing plays down the middle. Gold is always one step behind. We never should have brought him back.

Uh

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Hamilton is the backup Center and the one who Cutler has the most reps with. It was even mentioned by one of the commentors in the game Sunday.

This is true now in practice and on the depth chart because Eslinger is now on injured reserve. But if you were to go back and check out the preseason when Cutler played, Eslinger was the Center.

Well first off, the Broncos can't cut that many players at once. With the way the salary cap works, the broncos would take serious hits for each of those players they cut, especially ones with big, long-term contracts, and wouldn't be able to sign anyone.

I think Jake being gone is a forgone conclusion, but after the San Diego game, I almost wish he'd take the paycut and stay as a backup with Denver. Realistically, no one in the league will start Plummer automatically. He'd basically have to go somewhere and hope someone gets injured or struggles just so he'd have a chance. So why not stay in Denver and help out the young Cutler?

As for Larry Coyer, I like the guy, but he just doesn't have a clue on how to coach an entire defensive unit. I have been advocating for Denver to switch to the 3-4 for two years now, and I will be advocating it this offseason, as well.

Tom Nalen declinging? Come on, man. Just because Cutler is having trouble taking snaps from Nalen doesn't mean that it's Nalen's fault. Nalen has been a Pro-Bowl center and hall-of-fame candidate for years now, with John Elway, Brian Griese, Gus Frerote, Jake Plummer, and now Jay Cutler. Once they practice more together, Cutler will get a feel for Nalen, and vice/versa.

I think we should keep Tatum Bell but draft/acquire a reliable back who can carry the load if Tatum doesn't work out or gets injured. Tatum has shown me something these last two games, and I think he's too valuable to give up on just yet. Let's give him until next season.

As for Rod Smith...boy, this is a tough one. My hope is that he simply retires, because I know he won't be the #1 or #2 receiver for Denver next season, meaning he'll either have to take another demotion to #3 or he'll be going to another team, which, saying that, made me vomit in my mouth.

Jason Elam is having a stellar season and hasn't missed a game due to injury for a while now. Great kickers are hard to find in this league (ask the Dallas Cowboys), so keeping Elam makes sense.

John Lynch can still make the hit but his pass coverage skills are all but faded. I'm not sure exactly what to do with this guy, because he's such a great leader and contributor, but he is also a liability. Another situation where you just hope the guy retires and it's not even an issue.

Darrent Williams is young, and is still making young player mistakes. Champ Bailey gave him a vote of confidence yesterday, so that's good enough for me to keep him for at least one more season. Darrent was lucky last season because teams were still throwing Champ's way, and he didn't have to do a lot. Hopefully, he learns what he did wrong this season and is better next season.

I think..John lynch need to be retired..he is horrible in Coverages...

I will be the happiest person in the world once Larry Coyer gets fired...

Gosh we won't have anyone left

You seem to have forgotten about the ball boy and the waterboy.

Yes this was a little much. This isnt madden where you can dump half your roster and fix it right away....
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Quote Originally Posted by LDB
    You seem to have forgotten about the ball boy and the waterboy.
    Nah, the waterboy's been bringin' it.

That's some high quality H20!!!

I really think almost all of our problems stem from the defensive line. Yes maybe Gold is somewhat weak in coverage this year, but that doesnt take away from his athletic ability, his tackling ability, and his run stopping ability. I honestly believe that any linebacker would look that bad if the defensive line could not create any pressure whatsoever. Gold is also an emotional leader o nthe team, if we were utlilizing our linebackers a little better i dont think we would be having this conversation. Larry Coyer, for some reason believes that blitzing our linebackers or switching to a 3-4 temporarily is a sin, is also killing this defense. Once again it wouldnt mater how awesome our DC was if our line gives a quarterback five seconds to look for throws.