Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest
    no, it's entirely possible for 3 teams from the same division to make it. for example, if the broncos and chiefs were both 10-6 and the next closest team was 9-7, then the broncos and chiefs would be the 2 wildcards. so it's possible and it has happened before i believe.
    I thought that no third place team could get in too, but I was wrong! If 2 or more teams are tied with the same record then they have to apply tie-breakers, and the first tie-breakers are within the division. The 2 or 3 teams from the same division are apply the divisional tie-breakers (head-to-head, record within the division, etc.).

Example: 4 teams finish 10-6, three within the same division and 1 outside.

The divisional tie-breaker would eliminate two of the three teams within the division.

So, if you are the #3 team, then you CAN'T advance to the playoffs UNLESS you have a better record than any other potential wild-card team.

That rule change came in with the 4 division conference.

Hypothetical: This is bound to make some fans unhappy someday! Suppose during the regular season the Broncos beat the Bengals 40-0, and then the Broncos and Bengals all finished at 10-6, but the Chiefs went 11-5 only to lose the division to the Chargers.

Let's further assume that the Broncos beat the Chiefs twice, by identical 30-0 scores.

The wild-card teams would be the Chiefs and Bengals, even though Denver whipped the Bengals and Chiefs head to head!

Can you imagine the fans reaction? "Why Don't we have the tie-breaker? We beat them right?"
    Last edited by Cugel; 12-31-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    I thought that no third place team could get in too, but I was wrong! If 2 or more teams are tied with the same record then they have to apply tie-breakers, and the first tie-breakers are within the division. The 2 or 3 teams from the same division are apply the divisional tie-breakers (head-to-head, record within the division, etc.).

Example: 4 teams finish 10-6, three within the same division and 1 outside.

The divisional tie-breaker would eliminate two of the three teams within the division.

So, if you are the #3 team, then you CAN'T advance to the playoffs UNLESS you have a better record than any other potential wild-card team.

That rule change came in with the 4 division conference.

Hypothetical: This is bound to make some fans unhappy someday! Suppose during the regular season the Broncos beat the Bengals 40-0, and then the Broncos and Bengals all finished at 10-6, but the Chiefs went 11-5 only to lose the division to the Chargers. The wild-card teams would be the Chiefs and Bengals, even though Denver whipped the Bengals head to head!

Can you imagine the fans reaction? "Why Don't we have the tie-breaker? We beat them right?"
    I don't think the divisional tie break would apply, as in your hypothosis the Chiefs are 11-5, and the Broncos 10-6. The divisional tie-break is only used as the first tie-break when the two divisional sides have the same record. So with your scenario, the Chiefs would be #5 seed, Denver getting the #6 seed on head to head against the Bengals.

NFL Tiebreak Procedures
    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
    You'll Never Walk Alone

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...mber/mag7s.jpg

Spiffing sig, MasterShake

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

According to the standings: KC loss Denver is in. KC win and Denver loss Denver is out. Also assuming Jets win in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    If the Chiefs win and we lose, we're out. no matter of the outcome of the jets game.

[nelson] Hah Hah! [/nelson]