• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snapping Turtle
    All-Pro
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Stiffy
    I agree.
    This borders on the absurd and the more I think about it, the more it irritates me.

The NFL and the Denver Broncos have enjoyed great financial success because of our passion and loyalty and I find it highly inappropriate that the Broncos would ask us, the fans, to donate money to care for Darrent's children.

I liked Darrent and it's a darn shame he died, but I don't feel that it is my duty to ensure that his kids are set for life. He only played two years but I'm sure he made at least a million dollars gross, which should be enough to take care of two kids up until the age of 18, and if it isn't, then maybe all the MULTIMILLIONAIRES and BILLIONAIRES in the NFL should step up and help out.
    Then don't donate to the fund, its that simple.
    ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

• Stiffy
      Practice Squad
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Denver Native
      The Broncos are the ones who set up the fund. I can't imagine they would set it up if Darrent's kids would not need it.
      I can't image why Pat Bowlen can't afford to take care of any needs they may have himself. The Broncos are valued at close to a billion dollars but they can't afford to handle this themselves?

It's classless IMO to ask the fans for help when they are in the best position to do something about the problem.

Comment

• champbronc2
        R.I.P. DWill Damien Sean
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle
        Then don't donate to the fund, its that simple.
        Yep. That simple.
        MMA News
        MMA News 247

Comment

• Denver Native
          ALL-READY
          • Oct 2005

I can't image why Pat Bowlen can't afford to take care of any needs they may have himself. The Broncos are valued at close to a billion dollars but they can't afford to handle this themselves?

It's classless IMO to ask the fans for help when they are in the best position to do something about the problem.
          They are not asking the fans for help. I was told by someone within the Bronco's organization that they had received emails from many Bronco fans requesting some way to help.

It is plain and simple - those that wish will donate, those that don't wish, won't.

And believe me, I am sure the Broncos will do their part for the children.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

• xxxlibertine
            Practice Squad
            • Dec 2003

"This borders on the absurd and the more I think about it, the more it irritates me."

Kind of how I feel about your objections. We're not in church, we're not passing the plate, no one will see how stingy your nature is if you keep your mouth shut!
            uhhh,this ain't Lou from Aurora

Comment

• Chica_Ang
              Brave in Hawks country
              • Aug 2006

What? Hey, no disrespect, but you are totally missing the point. If you don't want to contribute, then don't. But a lot of us feel compelled to give monetarily. Frankly, it is out of love and respect, and it is the only thing some of us can do. Open your heart a little.

Comment

• R8R H8R
                Bench Warmer
                • Apr 2005

I'm sorry, but you just don't get it. This is not about being asked to help out, it is about people who want to help out.

This is true:
                Yesterday, when I found out he had kids, the very first thing that popped into my head was..."wow, what a bummer, I hope they set up a fund so I can contribute".

I want to help, even in a little way, nobody has to ask.

"I've always thought that Raider fans in Oakland were not so much fans as they were 50,000 people out on a work-release program." - John Elway.

Comment

• broncos0707
                  Bench Warmer
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jcrobins
                  I'm sorry, but you just don't get it. This is not about being asked to help out, it is about people who want to help out.

This is true:
                  Yesterday, when I found out he had kids, the very first thing that popped into my head was..."wow, what a bummer, I hope they set up a fund so I can contribute".

I want to help, even in a little way, nobody has to ask.

I did not mean to get into a big discusion here about this. I think it is a bad time to do so. I do have to say they are asking for money though. I will not be donating and I feel guilty about it but I think I can help others out that may need it more. This is what I got in my email/.

"Dear J.C.,

The Darrent Williams Children’s Fund has been established at U.S. Bank – Denver.

The purpose of the fund is to benefit Darrent’s two children for future educational and health needs.

Contributions can be sent to:

Darrent Williams Children’s Fund
                  c/o Denver Broncos
                  13655 Broncos Parkway Englewood, CO 80112"

I will say I don't think it is right that I got this. I liked him, thought he could become a great player and feel realy bad about what happend. What it came across to me as is a rich organisaion ask for money from people like you and I that have to scrape by to live from day to day. When they could donate twice as much as I make in 5 years and not even swet it. Insted I get to feel guilty for not donating. I feel that the broncos organasaion should not have sent this letter out to all the people in there data base and the reason is, I know there will be people that give to this that can't afford it. Its a very sad thing happening right now and you should not pray on people emosions.
                  Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Denver Native
                    ALL-READY
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by broncos0707
                    I did not mean to get into a big discusion here about this. I think it is a bad time to do so. I do have to say they are asking for money though. I will not be donating and I feel guilty about it but I think I can help others out that may need it more. This is what I got in my email/.

"Dear J.C.,

The Darrent Williams Children’s Fund has been established at U.S. Bank – Denver.

The purpose of the fund is to benefit Darrent’s two children for future educational and health needs.

Contributions can be sent to:

Darrent Williams Children’s Fund
                    c/o Denver Broncos
                    13655 Broncos Parkway Englewood, CO 80112"

I will say I don't think it is right that I got this. I liked him, thought he could become a great player and feel realy bad about what happend. What it came across to me as is a rich organisaion ask for money from people like you and I that have to scrape by to live from day to day. When they could donate twice as much as I make in 5 years and not even swet it. Insted I get to feel guilty for not donating. I feel that the broncos organasaion should not have sent this letter out to all the people in there data base and the reason is, I know there will be people that give to this that can't afford it. Its a very sad thing happening right now and you should not pray on people emosions.
                    As I posted before, someone within the Broncos' organization told me today they had been flooded with requests from fans wanting to do something. I believe that is why the fund was set up. They are not saying that you HAVE to donate. And you don't know what the Broncos may also be doing on their own. I really don't understand the problem.

Comment

• mitzi
                      Practice Squad
                      • Jan 2007

Why Comment then!

I just read this entire thread. Didnt Christmas just pass. A time of giving. If you dont want to give then dont, but do you feel better now that you have stated your selfish opinion! When you die are people gonna stand around and say, well hell they got insurance anyhow we dont need to help, or we dont need to go to the funeral they dont need us!!! Or say your house burns down should we post a sign out front saying no donations necessary I have insurance and dont need it!

Stop being so selfish and remember this is the United States. Try spending all day tomorrow doing nice things for people and smiling, lend a hand, quit looking the other way!

If you dont feel the need to pitch in why not just shut up then!

God bless his family, the team, and friends!

Comment

• Denver Native
                        ALL-READY
                        • Oct 2005

On Channel 4, they just ran a portion of Mike's press conference today, and one thing Mike said was "You can rest assured that we will work on Darrent's dreams, and they will be fulfilled". And, he was talking about the Broncos. By setting up this fund, they are giving others a chance to do something, if they so wish.

Comment

• bachya
                          Practice Squad
                          • Jan 2007

Money is not the only issue here.

Yes, Pat Bowlen and the rest of the Broncos could put Darrent's children through college. Yes, the NFL could take care of every financial need. But it is important to remember that these children have lost a father, and no amount of dollars and cents can replace that.

Don't think of a donation purely in a monetary sense - think of the message it gives: we, as Broncos-for-life, loved Darrent, and as part of the Broncos family, it pains us to have him gone, too. Even more than it's physical value, perhaps a donation will give his children the real message: their father was loved beyond words, and we want them to know we'd be there with them if we could. That means more than anything to people - especially young children - enduring grief.

So if donating isn't part of what you want to do it, so be it...but don't let it be from just a financial reason. The motivations of such an action carry a far greater effect than we know.

God Bless Darrent's family and Broncos everywhere - let's be happy that he is free from pain and worry.

Comment

• eaglebronco
                            Practice Squad
                            • Jan 2006

How much money do you think Darrent was worth and wouldn;t his kids already be getting millions of dollars in insurance, royalties ect....
                            The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Comment

• eaglebronco
                              Practice Squad
                              • Jan 2006

But it is important to remember that these children have lost a father, and no amount of dollars and cents can replace that.

Very well said!
                              The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Comment

• xxxlibertine
                                Practice Squad
                                • Dec 2003

There is NO NEED to feel guilty if you can't give anything. No one would KNOW whether you give anything or not if you didn't give us this information in the first place. Do NOT feel guilty if circumstances do not permit a gift. We know you WOULD if you COULD and IF you deemed the cause worthy.

Incidentally, I haven't received an e-mail like that, nor would I be upset if I recieved one. It's not like they are soliciting PLEDGES. It's just to let you know the mechanism is in place if you desire and are able.

There are many others on these boards who are finding other ways to "give something back", to perpetuate Darrent's legacy and share the burdens. THEY are using their imaginations and talents and should be proud of what they are doing. Most of THEM don't really have much money either, but they're doing what they CAN and I feel a common bond with people such as that. They certainly shouldn't feel guilty if they can't put any personal money in the kitty and neither should YOU.

The only people who should feel "guilty" are those who would rather stand on the sideline and demean, belittle, criticise and complain about the efforts others are making in ALL our behalf.
                                uhhh,this ain't Lou from Aurora

Comment

Working...
                                X