Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 64
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    789

    Angry

    I'm pissed as well. I don't know what else does a Corner have to do to win it. And unfortunately this might have been Champ's best chance. Seems too many ignorant voters only look at the stat sheets.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Any bar in South Florida
    Posts
    468
    I hate Taylor, he has such a sh***y attitude towards everything. The only thing I can agree with him on is that Jet fans are the worse and most obnoxious in the league. Champ was robbed big time.
    [IMG]http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/753/elway1983sig0ei.jpg[/IMG]


    The sickest Sig ever. Created by Snk16.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,966
    For those wondering what a corner has to do to win DPOY, the answer seems obvious: play lights out AND be a show-boating glory hog (see Deion Sanders). Champ only has the first part down so no award for him I'm afraid.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Any bar in South Florida
    Posts
    468
    I'd rather have a humbled shutdown Corner than a "glory hog"(nice words) corner that wins DPOY. Champ will be a hall of famer anyways, not many of his caliber come around that often, especially at DB.
    [IMG]http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/753/elway1983sig0ei.jpg[/IMG]


    The sickest Sig ever. Created by Snk16.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Elway1983
    I'd rather have a humbled shutdown Corner than a "glory hog"(nice words) corner that wins DPOY. Champ will be a hall of famer anyways, not many of his caliber come around that often, especially at DB.
    Unfortunately, the press doesn't reward humble players with accolades nearly as often as the flamboyant ones. For them it's all about the hype, not the actual play on the field. And just for the record, Champ played far beyond anyone else this year, and anyone who thinks it was even close between him and Taylor is clueless.

  6. #51
    calibroncogrl47 Guest

    Angry Jason Taylor Defensive Player of the Year?

    Champ should have won!!! He is way better than Jason Taylor....Champ was robbed!

    I feel bad talking about football... R.I.P Darrent... You are surely missed!



    Dolphins' Taylor wins Defensive Player of Year


    NEW YORK -- Jason Taylor was one hard man to find on the Miami defense this season. Until, that is, the ball was snapped and he was making the play.

    On NFL Countdown
    Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor will join Chris Berman and Co. on "Sunday NFL Countdown," which begins at 11 a.m. ET on ESPN.



    Taylor's superb all-around performance for the Dolphins earned him The Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year award, announced Friday. While Miami finished just 6-10 in 2006, the dynamic Taylor was having the best season of his nine-year pro career.



    The end who sometimes lines up at linebacker or inside had 62 tackles, 13˝ sacks, 14 quarterback hurries, two interceptions -- both returned for TDs -- 11 passes defensed, 10 fumbles forced and two fumbles recovered. Yes, 10 fumbles forced, making Taylor a takeaway machine.



    "It's just making big plays, feeling like you elevate the guys around you sometimes, and helping them to play better," Taylor said of his role. "Being able to take attention away from other areas and free up things for other people. At the end of the day, it's just making plays and trying to lead the team by example emotionally.



    "You can sit around and talk about it, but you have to go out and do it and we all like to be able to get up and go do it."



    While dozens of defenders were doing it well this season, Taylor outdistanced five who received votes, in particular Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. Taylor earned 22 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL, and Bailey got 16.



    It is a measure of how effective Taylor was that he took the award playing on a losing team. But Miami's defense ranked fourth in the NFL -- thanks greatly to No. 99, naturally.

    Defensive Player of Year Voting

    Taylor
    Voting for the 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year award as selected by The Associated Press in balloting by a nationwide panel of the media .
    Player, Team Votes
    Jason Taylor, Miami 22
    Champ Bailey, Denver 16
    Shawne Merriman, San Diego 6
    Brian Urlacher, Chicago 4
    Ray Lewis, Baltimore 1
    Trevor Price, Baltimore 1


    "I am playing a more complete game than I have at any point in my career," Taylor said. "I think the biggest thing that sticks out is the big plays, the touchdowns that are catching more attention.



    "I think I have had some other decent years in this league, but this is probably my best."



    It needed to be for Taylor to beat out Bailey, who tied for the league lead with 10 interceptions (one touchdown) even though opponents rarely test him. Bailey also is a stalwart run defender, something few cornerbacks can claim.


    Patriots coach Bill Belichick, whose team faced both the Dolphins (going 1-1) and the Broncos (a loss), praised Taylor as the top guy.



    "I can't imagine him not being the Defensive Player of the Year this year," he said. "There's nobody I've seen that has played anywhere near close to the level that he's at. He ruins a lot of games offensively for teams."



    With the Dolphins in turmoil after coach Nick Saban dumped them for the Alabama job this week, Taylor's achievement provides at least momentary relief and pride.



    "It's always a flattering point, but this is the ultimate team game on the planet," Taylor said.



    He is the first Dolphins player to win the award since DE Doug Betters in 1983. Ten years before that, safety **** Anderson won it.



    San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman, who missed four games for violating the NFL's steroids policy, got six votes. Last week, Taylor said he didn't believe any player who served such a suspension should be considered for league awards.



    Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher received four votes, followed by two Baltimore Ravens with one apiece: LB Ray Lewis and lineman Trevor Pryce.



    Urlacher won the award last year.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,758
    I don't see how anyone could argue against Taylor. The guy forced 12 turnovers as a defensive lineman? To go with 13.5 sacks? That's simply amazing!

    He's head and shoulders above any other DL in the league. The Ravens' Trevor Pryce had 13 sacks, not bad, but nothing compared with Taylor.

    Champ Bailey had a great season. In a normal year he might have won it, but Taylor's performance was simply more dominating. As a DL he gets to be in on a lot more plays. A QB can always avoid throwing to Champ's side of the field, but he can't drop back to pass without dealing with the DL.

    This means nothing btw. I just hope more teams throw at Champ next year. (I doubt they will, but we can always hope!)
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With Solus Christus
    Posts
    8,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    I don't see how anyone could argue against Taylor. The guy forced 12 turnovers as a defensive lineman? To go with 13.5 sacks? That's simply amazing!

    He's head and shoulders above any other DL in the league. The Ravens' Trevor Pryce had 13 sacks, not bad, but nothing compared with Taylor.

    Champ Bailey had a great season. In a normal year he might have won it, but Taylor's performance was simply more dominating. As a DL he gets to be in on a lot more plays. A QB can always avoid throwing to Champ's side of the field, but he can't drop back to pass without dealing with the DL.

    This means nothing btw. I just hope more teams throw at Champ next year. (I doubt they will, but we can always hope!)
    :offtopic:

    Trevor had 13.5 sacks???


  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthemiddle
    :offtopic:

    Trevor had 13.5 sacks???

    If Rex Ryan were our Defensive coordinator, Jay Cutler would have had 15 sacks.


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Any bar in South Florida
    Posts
    468
    What's so hard about forcing turnovers as a DE? You hit them from the blind side and that is almost a guaranteed fumble. Picks are much harder to come by than sacks and Champ was at the top even with his limited oppurtunities. A lot of his picks came at critical times in the red zone too. Champ Baliey is just under appreciated, living in Florida it's very obvious. Nobody cares for Champ but me. Nobody realizes how good he is because people don't see a lot of him. Oh well, maybe next year.
    [IMG]http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/753/elway1983sig0ei.jpg[/IMG]


    The sickest Sig ever. Created by Snk16.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Elway1983
    What's so hard about forcing turnovers as a DE? You hit them from the blind side and that is almost a guaranteed fumble. Picks are much harder to come by than sacks and Champ was at the top even with his limited oppurtunities. A lot of his picks came at critical times in the red zone too. Champ Baliey is just under appreciated, living in Florida it's very obvious. Nobody cares for Champ but me. Nobody realizes how good he is because people don't see a lot of him. Oh well, maybe next year.
    It's only a wonder why DE's don't do it every time they sack the QB then?

    Or maybe there is a reason it's not a common trend and that Jason Taylor alone is forcing all these fumbles, as opposed to Merriman and Schoebel and Burgess, all on the same side as Jason, aren't doing the same thing Taylor was doing.


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Any bar in South Florida
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    It's only a wonder why DE's don't do it every time they sack the QB then?

    Or maybe there is a reason it's not a common trend and that Jason Taylor alone is forcing all these fumbles, as opposed to Merriman and Schoebel and Burgess, all on the same side as Jason, aren't doing the same thing Taylor was doing.


    Maybe Taylor should start a football camp once he retires then, if he has time between movies.
    [IMG]http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/753/elway1983sig0ei.jpg[/IMG]


    The sickest Sig ever. Created by Snk16.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With Solus Christus
    Posts
    8,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    If Rex Ryan were our Defensive coordinator, Jay Cutler would have had 15 sacks.



    Does Rex Ryan have a long lost brother we can get for our Defensive Coordinator?

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthemiddle


    Does Rex Ryan have a long lost brother we can get for our Defensive Coordinator?
    The ****ing Raiders got him. (Rob Ryan)


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    With Solus Christus
    Posts
    8,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    The ****ing Raiders got him. (Rob Ryan)

    Dang, I was just joking. That explains why the Raiders had a good defense this year. Maybe AL will play it smart and clean house with the entire staff.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •