Our Tastes Change

Ladies and Gents.....I present to you Kalamata olives.

Well, they are olives. They look like olives. But they have more taste than the olive I preferred, all my life. Plain black ones. Not a green olive fan...all those years. But interestingly, I don't mind them either these days.

Clearly my taste buds have opened up to more flavours, and my mindset has become less rigid and more willing!

It's really a simple thought. Of course we try new things, drop some others....sometimes get interested because of what our family/friends tell us. But yes, those Kalamata olives are much tastier...now that I gave them a chance. Hey, I am not turning my back on black olives, and in fact, I am quite ok with green olives, if that's all you have to offer!

One more thing...Kalamata olives are apparently quite good for you!

Tastes change....we change. Foods I did not like when I was young are more part of my diet than ever before. Some of it is common sense, like when health is part of the equation. But health + taste = happy happy! And yes, being healthy = smart/happy!

I can name plenty of food changes. I mean, though I miss them, I hardly ever eat potato chips or chocolate bars anymore. Don't get me started though, because I'd have no issue with eating them if they sat in front of me. But there are taste changes that just happened over time, because quite frankly, my taste buds discovered them. So....if you are quite young, do not be surprised that what you like today may alter significantly as you age. Food and drink wise.

Our tastes change in other, sometimes more important ways. In fact, in so many ways....could be the basic lifestyle choices we make, the entertainment we like, the form of exercise we conform to, even things like politics and religion.....but lets not discuss here....please.

My basic message today, whether it be quite obvious or not....enjoy your day, but try not to dig in deep with your views, your likes, even your choice of food/drink. Be open to change. It will likely happen whether or not you shield yourself. And often it will mean progress, in a life that allows for so much opportunity to grow and widen one's scope. Accept change. Enjoy change, at least, the part of it you can control. Believe me, I am not a huge fan of change.....especially in the workplace,,,,,but this post is aimed at the change that can better us, and make us happier. And yes, that may even occur in the workplace, or other organizational environment you are part of.

You may have read the simple but popular book , "Who Moved My Cheese?". If you haven't I suggest you take a look. Easy to read, and quite short. It's no longer a new concept by any means, but it sends a message to all, that adapting to change has its merit. Conversely, not adapting to change can be a negative game changer.

Thanks for listening. And though there may be no rush or need, I hope you can gain some enjoyment of your own, on your own, in choosing new and different things in your life....even if it is as simple as a change in olives.

I felt bad for the OP, so I pretended to read it.

Oh for sure.

A huge taste change that I hated as a kid but enjoy now (more than I should) is creamed herring.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but when I need a quick snack I'll just spoon that stuff right out of the jar like I'm eating yogurt or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Oh for sure.

A huge taste change that I hated as a kid but enjoy now (more than I should) is creamed herring.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but when I need a quick snack I'll just spoon that stuff right out of the jar like I'm eating yogurt or something.
    Creamed herring eh! Not something I would have eaten as a kid either. But I find we are eating more things that my parents liked. So much of it was simple, but healthy and good. Things as simple as cheese in various types. Now, one thing my mother made occasionally (luckily not frequently) was Tripe. I Hated it!! It smelled funny and it had a weird texture. Tripe, for those who don't know, is a type of edible lining from the stomachs of various farm animals. Most tripe is from cattle and sheep. Yuck!!!

Keep on experimenting! Good things out there!

I know my coffee preference changed to dark roast as I got older. I came to prefer red wine over white. There are a lot of tastes that never change though ..... my favorite meals from when I was a kid are still my favorite meals as an adult. Chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream and strawberries, anything and everything smothered in green chili, and chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes are all still my favorites....

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I know my coffee preference changed to dark roast as I got older. I came to prefer red wine over white. There are a lot of tastes that never change though ..... my favorite meals from when I was a kid are still my favorite meals as an adult. Chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream and strawberries, anything and everything smothered in green chili, and chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes are all still my favorites....
    True that! Some things are solid as a rock. Maybe that relates to having a sense of stability throughout our lives. Maybe just a thought.

Now I will be honest, I did get over baby food.

FTR....dark roast coffee rocks!!!