Do You Shovel Snow....Off Your Roof?!

JT and I recently made light of roof shovelling in another thread, so it tweaked my thinking a little, only to be reinforced by the fact that I have removed snow off our roof several times this year. We have not had excessive snow, but enough to gather, and it can accumulate more deeply in specific spots on your house pending the shape of the roof and wind direction. To be sure, no one wants roof damage!

We have a snow removal tool that is pretty good, given you can extend it pretty far, and still maintain some rigidity when pulling back. In past years, in a different house, I actually got on top of the roof and shovelled. But that roof was easier to maneuver on.

The one thing I am always amazed at, is how strong our homes are built! When I pull down the snow, it lands pretty hard. And after pulling down a number of times, I find the snow compacts, and is very, very heavy. Given that I have hardly removed much snow, I can not even imagine the total weight of the snow on the roof. We are talking thousands of pounds!

I don't see a lot of folks doing snow removal, unless we have significant snowfall. You will see a lot of contracted work when that occurs, with the end result being completely snow cleared roofs. They stand out.

Goofy story. Years ago I paid a company to remove the snow from our roof.....it was a bad year, and it was the only time I spent the money to clear it. I was very happy, given another big storm would have made me worry...and it was not an ideal roof to get on top of. Within a week or so we had a very early melt. And it was quick. And before you know it, most roofs were almost snow free. I could see the water draining down the spouts like the few hundred bucks I poured into their pockets! BETTER SAFE!

Well now....I just might shovel off a couple hundred more pounds today. I feel good each time, knowing that I have given the roof a little more break from the heavy load!

I understand if few of you find it relevant....it's "snow" big deal!!!

I was up in Canada this winter and shot a few videos of Can shoveling snow on his roof.

Last edited by johntbronco; 02-24-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Oh yeah! Got a video of his dog too!

Last edited by johntbronco; 02-24-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    I was up in Canada this winter and shot a few videos of Can shoveling snow on his roof.

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    Oh yeah! Got a video of his dog too!

Still mad at the dog for not doing the roof!!! Or should I say "ruff"...

I think our dog prefers those warm canuck summers!