Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Beef - Big Board of Defensive Lineman

I'm hoping MindField, OhNo and I can all collaborate on this with our own scouting reports; but for now I'll just list those who have declared; the tentative outlook on when they'll be drafted and those who are considering declaring or who have decided to stay. For the most part I'm going to post information on guys who have first-day potential; those who are borderline or don't might not make my list but may make others on the site but Denver's likely to address it on the first-day if they address it at all.

If there isn't a mention that they haven't declared next to their name; they have declared. And for those who haven't they'll usually be underlined or followed by their intentions. I don't expect everyone to agree with my tentative rankings; but I feel it's a pretty honest ranking. They are in order. These will change post All-Star games and workouts. I hope you all enjoy and be sure to keep on the lookout. . . I feel a draft coming, can you?

Defensive Ends

Scouting the First Round Talent

Gaines Adams, Clemson
    Quentin Moses, Georgia
    Charles Johnson, Georgia
    Victor Abiamiri, Notre Dame
    Jamal Anderson, Arkansas
    Officially Declared!
    Lawrence Jackson, USC
    Very talented junior who didn't have a great season and is likely to return to USC.
    LaMarr Woodley, Michigan

Scouting the Second Round Talent
    Jarvis Moss, Florida
    Undeclared junior who is currently leaning towards going pro.
    Louis Holmes, Arizona
    Consistent player, ideal measurables who has filed for a draft advisory grade.
    Tim Crowder, Texas
    Adam Carriker, Nebraska
    Ikaika Alama-Francis, Hawaii
    Anthony Spencer, Purdue

Scouting the Third Round Talent

Ray McDonald, Florida
    Baraka Atkins, Miami

Defensive Tackles

Alan Branch, Michigan
    Declared. Most likely a top ten selection.
    Amobi Okoye, Louisville
    Glenn Dorsey, LSU
    Perhaps the fastest DT off the line in all of college football, will decide in a week.
    Frank Okam, Texas
    Well-rounded lineman who is likely to return to the Longhorns for a senior season.
    DeMarcus Tyler, North Carolina State
    Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State

Justin Harrell, Tennesee
    Brandon Mebane, California
    Marcus Thomas, Florida
    First Round talent whose character concerns will drop his stock.

Ryan McBean, Oklahoma State
    Jay Alford, Penn State
    Kareem Brown, Miami
    David Patterson, Ohio State
    Last edited by Dream; 01-08-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Good post. Thanks for the info.

How far is Marcus Thomas dropping?

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    How far is Marcus Thomas dropping?
    I haven't placed the defensive tackles yet; he's a first-round talent but based on character concerns he may very well fall out of Day One.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    I haven't placed the defensive tackles yet; he's a first-round talent but based on character concerns he may very well fall out of Day One.
    Oh I wondered why I didn't see some big DT names there, didn't see you only listed the ends so far.

Carry on. Looks good so far...

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

Updated the defensive tackles.

Well

I'm hoping MindField, OhNo and I can all collaborate on this with our own scouting reports; but for now I'll just list those who have declared; the tentative outlook on when they'll be drafted and those who are considering declaring or who have decided to stay. For the most part I'm going to post information on guys who have first-day potential; those who are borderline or don't might not make my list but may make others on the site but Denver's likely to address it on the first-day if they address it at all.

If there isn't a mention that they haven't declared next to their name; they have declared. And for those who haven't they'll usually be underlined or followed by their intentions. I don't expect everyone to agree with my tentative rankings; but I feel it's a pretty honest ranking. They are in order. These will change post All-Star games and workouts. I hope you all enjoy and be sure to keep on the lookout. . . I feel a draft coming, can you?

Defensive Ends

Gaines Adams, Clemson
    Quentin Moses, Georgia
    Charles Johnson, Georgia
    Jamal Anderson, Arkansas
    Explosive player who could be the first underclassmen DE chosen if he declares.
    Lawrence Jackson, USC
    Very talented junior who didn't have a great season and is likely to return to USC.
    LaMarr Woodley, Michigan

Jarvis Moss, Miami
    Louis Holmes, Arizona State
    Tim Crowder, Texas
    Adam Carriker, Nebraska
    Anthony Spencer, Purdue

Ray McDonald, Florida
    Baraka Atkins, Miami
    Kool Aid pointed out Jamaal Anderson, and I will have to learn more about him if he declares....he may turn out to be the guy the Broncos Draft if he warrants a first round grade and Quentin Moses is gone. I don't like the idea of drafting another a short DE like Woodley or Charles Johnson, because we already have that in Dumervil. So based on measureables alone and the fact that Anderson is listed at 6'6", I would watch him with a keen interest.

Albiamiri is another player to watch. He does not seem to have a true first round grade, however, according to Kiper and Scouts, Inc....but that could change, I suppose. Still, I don't get excited with the tought of the Broncos drafting him.

I think Carriker is a lock for the Top 15, IMO. He is just too big and strong and athletic not to be, plus he would be a perfect fit for the 49ers as a SS 3-4 End.
    So I would say right now, I am hoping for Quentin Moses to be available, and maybe see what becomes of Jamaal Anderson and go from there.

I do not want any part of Ray McDonald, Baraka Atkins or Tim Crowder....they seem like 'tweeners that aren't what you really want at DT or DE, so I would pass on them.

BTW, on the Free Agency watch, keep an eye on New England's DE/OLB Tully Banta-Cain. I have been very impressed with this kid as a pass rusher, and we could possibly get him without breaking the bank. In their 3-4, he is listed as an OLB, but if you watch him, he rushers primarily from the down position over the OLT. He is about 6'2 1/2"-255/260, so he is similar to a Derrick Burgess-type physical build.

I don't think Carriker will go that high; but that's just the difference between you and me. I was thinking 49ers in the early second though.

Woodley will probably be a 3-4 OLB; but Johnson won't be. If Johnson was listed at 6'3 instead of 6'2; I don't think anyone would care about his height. He can play the game and had a superb season. I am not a huge fan of McDonald or Atkins; but having a guy like Crowder who can move around inside our out would be nice. Now; not as a first-rounder; but if he was there in the second I think it'd be a solid selection.

I'm hoping that the Broncos get at least two young defensive lineman in the draft on the first day; which is probably hoping too much. I know that this is only my opinion, but there are over 15 defensive lineman's with grades on the first day. Close to it. That's depth; and a lot of them are borderline and this isn't including risers right now. We can't ignore it anymore.

Frank Okam's officially staying in school.
    http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/1...osig6ed9xr.jpg
    I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
    ABWRFRC

I don't think Carriker will go that high; but that's just the difference between you and me. I was thinking 49ers in the early second though.

Woodley will probably be a 3-4 OLB; but Johnson won't be. If Johnson was listed at 6'3 instead of 6'2; I don't think anyone would care about his height. He can play the game and had a superb season. I am not a huge fan of McDonald or Atkins; but having a guy like Crowder who can move around inside our out would be nice. Now; not as a first-rounder; but if he was there in the second I think it'd be a solid selection.

I'm hoping that the Broncos get at least two young defensive lineman in the draft on the first day; which is probably hoping too much. I know that this is only my opinion, but there are over 15 defensive lineman's with grades on the first day. Close to it. That's depth; and a lot of them are borderline and this isn't including risers right now. We can't ignore it anymore.

Be careful of the 'tweeners....we have that now with Kenny Peterson, who is not really a DE or a DT...often times when you can play two positions, that really means you can play none.....and you don't want to have too many short guys, because QB's will just throw over you. You need guys that can get their hands in the air when they cannot phyically get to the QB. We have our short DE ib Dumervil, which is why I don't want Woodley or Johnson. That's just my .02.

McDonald and Atkins are like Kenny Peterson to me, and Crowder is probably not big or strong enough to play strong side, and not quick enough to be a true pass rusher.

...another player in this mold is Tennessee's Turk McBride. I would be wary of him too...

I am sure the Broncos are painfully aware their D-Line needs depth...but remember, we got Dumervil in the fourth, and the Bears got Mark Anderson in the fifth, so sometimes the gems you are looking for emerge on the second day.

But overall, I agree. We need to do our scouting diligence and make sure we hit on a Day One prospect or two...

BTW, I am assuming Carriker will be gone by No. 21, but if he is available, I would be thrilled to see the Broncos take him. At the very least he is a big, physical guy in the mold of NE's Ty Warren, who was also considered a borderline second round guy, but the Patriots traded up to take him at #18.

Carriker will go higher than you think. D-Lineman with his size and athletic potential always do.
    Last edited by MindField; 01-07-2007 at 01:06 PM.

i would love to have moss from FLA. he kinda reminds me of peppers

Defensive Ends

Gaines Adams, Clemson
    Quentin Moses, Georgia
    Charles Johnson, Georgia
    Jamal Anderson, Arkansas
    Explosive player who could be the first underclassmen DE chosen if he declares.
    Lawrence Jackson, USC
    LaMarr Woodley, Michigan

Jarvis Moss, Miami
    Louis Holmes, Arizona State
    Tim Crowder, Texas
    Adam Carriker, Nebraska
    Anthony Spencer, Purdue

Ray McDonald, Florida
    Baraka Atkins, Miami

Defensive Tackles

Alan Branch, Michigan
    [i]A massive man on the inside isn't enrolled for the Spring semester; he'll declare soon.
    Amobi Okoye, Louisville
    Glenn Dorsey, LSU
    Perhaps the fastest DT off the line in all of college football, will decide in a week.
    Frank Okam, Texas
    Well-rounded lineman who is likely to return to the Longhorns for a senior season.
    DeMarcus Tyler, North Carolina State
    Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State

Justin Harrell, Tennesee
    Brandon Mebane, California
    Marcus Thomas
    First Round talent whose character concerns will drop his stock.

Ryan McBean, Oklahoma State
    Jay Alford, Penn State
    Kareem Brown, Miami
    David Patterson, Ohio State
    im glad that u mentioned jamaal anderson.in the games that hes played hes really stood out to me, same goes for amobi okoye whom i would love to get in the first.i was just wonderin wut ur thoughts were on paul soliai .i know he has great size at 6-4 334 and has been compared to haloit ngata, but i havent seen him play because in the game i watched he wasnt active in.ur thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Soliai is an interesting prospect but I don't necessarily see where he fits well into our system. I see him more as a 3-4 nose tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by PRBronco
    Frank Okam's officially staying in school.
    Plenty of prospects have said they'd stay in school but when millions of dollars are flashing them in the face it quickly changes their minds. Until the deadline passes, he'll remain on my board because he's a very, very good player.

Updated today!