Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JOHN CLAYTON
    WEBLOG | RSS | PRINT BLOG

NFL SENIOR WRITER

Saturday, January 11, 2007

Bates to call Broncos' defensive plays: Even though the Broncos named Bob Slowick as their defensive coordinator, assistant head coach coach Jim Bates will be calling all the defensive plays. Bates uses an aggressive man-to-man coverage scheme that should fit perfectly with Champ Bailey's abilities. His history has been to rank in the top seven defenses. Mike Shanahan's hiring of Bates might be one of the best moves of the offseason for any team.

I didn't know that Bates was calling plays, this is a couple days old and sorry if sombody already posted this but it's news to me

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by jvw
    Updated: Jan. 12, 2007, 5:56 PM ET

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    Archive

Bates and the Broncos: Denver coach Mike Shanahan made a terrific hire this week by bringing in highly respected Jim Bates to serve as assistant head coach/defense. Now look for Denver to strengthen its special teams staff. Shanahan is strongly considering adding widely respected Pete Rodriguez, who as expected was fired by Jacksonville this week.

The Broncos already have special teams assistants in Ronnie Bradford and Thomas McGaughey, but Denver doesn't scrimp on its coaching payroll, and if Shanahan feels that Rodriguez will upgrade the kicking game, owner Pat Bowlen won't balk at the cost. It should be noted that, as good as most people think Rodriguez is, he still has some detractors, which is why he has been fired twice since 2003.

As for the addition of Bates, it's a masterstroke because he is one of the NFL's best defensive minds. Denver still needs a new defensive line coach after Andre Patterson was canned this week. There are no indications who Shanahan has in mind to fill that spot, but one thing seems certain: Whoever fills Patterson's job will be working with a unit that almost certainly will get a facelift. Denver is ready to dump many of the former Cleveland Browns defensive linemen it acquired via trade or free agency the past two years.
    Somebody help me out here....assistant head coach?? And Defense??

What about Heimerdinger??

Quote Originally Posted by watchthemiddle

Hermie is the assistant head coach to the offense and Bates will be the assistant Head Coach to the defense. There is more than one assistant head coach.
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by watchthemiddle

*sigh* Assistant Head Coach in charge of Defense. 'Dinger is Assistant Head Coach in charge of Offense.
    DARRENT WILLIAMS
    1982-2007

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Bronco Fan
    Hermie is the assistant head coach to the offense and Bates will be the assistant Head Coach to the defense. There is more than one assistant head coach.

WHat ever happened to the Offensive Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator titles??

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Inkana7
    *sigh* Assistant Head Coach in charge of Defense. 'Dinger is Assistant Head Coach in charge of Offense.

*sigh*

If it was such a pressing task to answer my simple question, then why do it??