Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Post Patriots @ Chargers AFC Divisional Playoffs Gameday Thread

Hi, and a Happy New Year to everyone! New England Patriots play the 2006 AFC West Division Champion Chargers in an AFC Divisional Playoff game in San Diego today. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will announce the game commentary for the NFL On CBS, with KCNC Channel 4 in Denver televising the game live on CBS-HD. Kickoff from Qualcomm Stadium will be right after 2:30PM Mountain Standard Time. Here is also the Patriots/Chargers live online gametracker from nfl.com.

http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/...20070114_NE@SD

GOOOO Patriots!

I feel the Chargers are the best and most complete football team the tandem of Brady and Belichick have ever faced, even better than the Rams and 2004 Steelers.

One could argue the Patriots are the best and most complete football team that Rivers and Marty have ever faced as well.

Anybody want to argue that point?

Quote Originally Posted by PatsCrowEater
    I feel the Chargers are the best and most complete football team the tandem of Brady and Belichick have ever faced, even better than the Rams and 2004 Steelers.

One could argue the Patriots are the best and most complete football team that Rivers and Marty have ever faced as well.

Anybody want to argue that point?
    With Harrison out, an injured/old LB corp, and a similarly slipshod receiver corp, I'd say the Patriots, while good, are far from complete.

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    With Harrison out, an injured/old LB corp, and a similarly slipshod receiver corp, I'd say the Patriots, while good, are far from complete.
    2nd in the league in defense.
    Top 5 in Red zone offense and defense
    A dominating front three
    A two headed monster at RB
    The Best QB in the league
    The best coach in the league
    Asante Samuel's 11 picks
    7-1 on the road

Who have the Chargers played this year that's more complete than that?

On Sunday countdown, (i don't know the history of the two teams head to head) they showed the Chargers owning the Patriots. But if Belichick is this real genuis then he should be able to outsmart Marty and take LT out of the game and keep Rivers off his game! LT and Brady are the keys to this game, take one out of his game and the team will struggle! Lets hope LT struggles!

2nd in the league in defense.
    Top 5 in Red zone offense and defense
    A dominating front three
    A two headed monster at RB
    The Best QB in the league
    The best coach in the league
    Asante Samuel's 11 picks
    7-1 on the road

Who have the Chargers played this year that's more complete than that?
    Let's look at what you said:

Rams and 2004 Steelers.

best and most complete football team that Rivers and Marty have ever faced
    To me, those examples imply opponents extending beyond this year, and I'm not looking at the stats exactly, but I'm sure there was atleast 2 teams the chargers have faced better than this year's patriots.

I'm pointing out the Pat's flaws, nothing more. And how they aren't exactly a complete team.

They are probably one of, if not the best they faced this year, but the Chargers, like the Patriots have played a bunch of fruits, exaggerating the statistics on both sides a little.

Both however, have typically stepped up their play against tough oppoents, so this should be a good game regardless.

Good luck to the Pats.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Broncofan
    On Sunday countdown, (i don't know the history of the two teams head to head) they showed the Chargers owning the Patriots. But if Belichick is this real genuis then he should be able to outsmart Marty and take LT out of the game and keep Rivers off his game! LT and Brady are the keys to this game, take one out of his game and the team will struggle! Lets hope LT struggles!
    I believe the Pats are 10-2 the last 12 times they faced the Chargers or something...

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Shotty hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade. Brady and Belichick know what it takes to win, therefore they will dominate the Chargers today.

I believe the Pats are 10-2 the last 12 times they faced the Chargers or something...

Hmmm...!! ESPN acted like the Pats couldn't handle LT and the Chargers. Maybe it was just they couldn't handle LT because he's only been around for 3years maybe! I guess I'll find out in a few hours!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Broncofan
    Hmmm...!! ESPN acted like the Pats couldn't handle LT and the Chargers. Maybe it was just they couldn't handle LT because he's only been around for 3years maybe! I guess I'll find out in a few hours!!
    They've also had specials on how Tomlinson always has good games against the Pats.

He probably will again, but the Chargers have blown for years, and the Pats have been at the top for years.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Let's look at what you said:

To me, those examples imply opponents extending beyond this year, and I'm not looking at the stats exactly, but I'm sure there was atleast 2 teams the chargers have faced better than this year's patriots.

I'm pointing out the Pat's flaws, nothing more. And how they aren't exactly a complete team.

They are probably one of, if not the best they faced this year, but the Chargers, like the Patriots have played a bunch of fruits, exaggerating the statistics on both sides a little.

Both however, have typically stepped up their play against tough oppoents, so this should be a good game regardless.

Good luck to the Pats.
    That's fine. But I was never trying to say the Patriots were a complete team. I was simply saying they're the most complete team SD will face this year.

Their D is on par w/ Baltimore but their offense is better than Baltimore's and the ravens were the most complete team SD has faced thus far.

They've also had specials on how Tomlinson always has good games against the Pats.

He probably will again, but the Chargers have blown for years, and the Pats have been at the top for years.
    True, but LT's best games against the Pats were against a defense that featured Mony Beisel, Chad Brown & Duane Starks.

That's fine. But I was never trying to say the Patriots were a complete team. I was simply saying they're the most complete team SD will face this year.

Their D is on par w/ Baltimore but their offense is better than Baltimore's and the ravens were the most complete team SD has faced thus far.
    It's not so much better, as it is inconsistant.

The Ravens have better weapons.

Clayton + Mason + D Williams > um.... troy Brown? Chad Jackson? Caldwell? Gaffney?

Heap > Watson or Graham, and Dan Wilcox isn't as good as them, but not too bad either.

on the other hand...

Pats O-line > Balt O-line

Brady > McNair

The Baltimore Defense is better by another tier due to their consistant ability to rush the passer on almost every play. They pressure Manning the most he has been all year. Not sacks, but tons of hurries and 2 ints, 2 should-been ints.

I think that the case, for this year, could be the pats and Chargers are the two most complete teams each are facing this year (each other).

Few teams are complete, but these two could be made to be the most complete.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Personally, I think Phillip Rivers is the key factor in today's game.

If he can stay mistake free, I see the Chargers winning this one. He just needs to manage the game.

If he makes mistakes typical of a young QB, which he has done, the Patriots WILL capitalize and the Pats will likely win.

JMHO.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft: