Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hunter's Wife Finds Shot Duck Alive In Fridge

POSTED: 4:47 pm MST January 20, 2007

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

Wildlife officials in Tallahassee said a feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days. That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.

Laina Whipple, a receptionist at the animal hospital, said the man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her. She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The hospital's staff had the daughter take the 1-pound female ring-neck to Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."
    Last edited by Denver Native; 01-20-2007 at 07:28 PM.
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/787...sigxwaaea9.jpg

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

thats why daffy aways wanted to go rabbit huntin....instead of duck hunting?
    i get it now.

duck probably had bullet proof vest on.

sig by B4B6..

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native

POSTED: 4:47 pm MST January 20, 2007

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

Wildlife officials in Tallahassee said a feathered Lazarus had been shot by a hunter and put into his refrigerator for two days. That's when the hunter's wife opened the door and the duck lifted his head, giving her a scare.

Laina Whipple, a receptionist at the animal hospital, said the man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her. She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The hospital's staff had the daughter take the 1-pound female ring-neck to Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."
    If I was one of the hunter's family, I would adopt the duck. Its like a sign from God that the duck is yours.
    XBL: The1Executioner

Yep! Adopt THAT DUCK! It deserves a family! I want that duck.

Geez, can you imagine what a scare that must have been? I'd have had a heart attack!

Brings new meaning to the phrase "Lucky Duck", now doesn't it?

Most responsible hunters always make sure there is a clean kill. This guy should have his license taken away and never to hunt again. Never heard of this in 25 years of waterfowl hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Broncofan
    Most responsible hunters always make sure there is a clean kill. This guy should have his license taken away and never to hunt again. Never heard of this in 25 years of waterfowl hunting!
    New one on me,but we clean ours right after hunting,so no way this could happen. We were in a duck boat,and after we picked up a Canadian that we shot,I wanted some video,so had my buddy hold it up while I camcorded.As I 'm filming, the Goose came back to life,and wacked my buddy across the face 5-6 times with the wings before he could drop it.Hilarious video,but needs editing for language,before I could show it.He wasn't too happy at the time,because a Goose has real powerful wings,and of course my unsympathetic rolling in the boat laughing didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog
    New one on me,but we clean ours right after hunting,so no way this could happen. We were in a duck boat,and after we picked up a Canadian that we shot,I wanted some video,so had my buddy hold it up while I camcorded.As I 'm filming, the Goose came back to life,and wacked my buddy across the face 5-6 times with the wings before he could drop it.Hilarious video,but needs editing for language,before I could show it.He wasn't too happy at the time,because a Goose has real powerful wings,and of course my unsympathetic rolling in the boat laughing didn't help either.

This may sound cruel to some but when I shoot a bird I always snap the neck to make sure the bird is dead, granted a goose is a little harder to do. But I have seen something similiar to your story but never what the story in this thread tells.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Broncofan
    This may sound cruel to some but when I shoot a bird I always snap the neck to make sure the bird is dead, granted a goose is a little harder to do. But I have seen something similiar to your story but never what the story in this thread tells.
    I don't think that's cruel at all. It's much more humane than not making sure and then ending up with an injured duck in your fridge for 2 days...

I feel sorry for the duck.

im starting to get a craving for duck now you people suck

sig by B4B6..

Aflac!!!!!!
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

...I'm surprised they didn't say that the family didn't have to pay for the duck's medical bills, since he has Aflac.