• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OC1981
    Bench Warmer
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Lorcust
    How many Superbowls did John lose before he won the big one?
    None remember? And he was 9 feet tall with fire shooting from his anus.

Comment

• Southstander
      King of Anvilania
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by str8jacket
      Do you honestly think i care about what you think is more convincing?

Marino > Elway
      Montana > Elway
      Elway > Anyone not named Montana/Marino
      You still have not told us WHY you think that. Is it because you can't back it up logicly
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

• Skywalker
        Jedi Knight
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by The Executioner
        Bears will kill Colts, so yes.
        And why do you think the Bears will kill the Colts?

Indy's defense is playing so well right now, if the Bears manage (though I doubt they will) to keep Peyton, Harrison, and Wayne in check they'll still have a chance. Grossman is one of the worst starters in the league.

The Bears will not kill the Colts. The Colts defense have actually been playing better than the Bears' in the playoffs. I say Colts win a close one.
        sigpic

Comment

• RealBronco
          Resident Film Critic
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Lorcust
          How many Superbowls did John lose before he won the big one?

Well, how many Superbowls has Manning been to? I think Zero... And I think just making it 5 times and winning 2 of them puts Elway above him already. Heck, even the 3 he lost still has him ahead of Manning. At least Elway could win playoff games that mattered.

And... Manning could be the next Marino, I think the Bears have a serious shot because the Colts have no defense...but the Bears do. And the only weapon the Colts have is Manning so...

And then again, he'd have to win 5 Superbowls before he retires to become greater than the greatest quarterback every...which isn't Marino, Elway or Brady (I'll just throw him in too since he has more rings than all three combined) and that QB is Joe Montana.

So...Manning has a LONG way to go before he can even be considered in the top 5.
          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• RealBronco
            Resident Film Critic
            • Sep 2003

Do you honestly think i care about what you think is more convincing?

Marino > Elway
            Montana > Elway
            Elway > Anyone not named Montana/Marino

um...what. how is it even possible that Marino was better than Elway? Last time I checked, the whole goal of any player playing in the NFL is to win Superbowls...and Marino was never able to do that, and only made it to one.

And second, Elway had better stats than Marino and the only reason he has more wins total is because he stayed in longer...it took him longer to even tie Elway.

I do agree that Montana was better than Elway...Montana is the greatest. He's won the most Superbowls out of any one of them. But I already pointed this out.

The bottom line is that Manning will likely end up mirroring Marino and choking continually when it matters, or he'll end up like Favre, win one and lose one or more than that. The Colts simply aren't good enough and never will be. The only shot they have is playing a weak NFC team in the Superbowl....which, this time doesn't seem like the case.
            sigpic

Comment

• str8jacket
              Hit Mary, Not Mary Jane
              • Jan 2006

John Elway (Career)
              GP ATT CMP PCT YDS YPA TD INT SKD SKY RAT
              234 7250 4123 56.9 51475 7.10 300 226 516 3785 79.9

Dan Marino (Career)
              242 8358 4967 59.4 61343 7.34 420 252 271 1940 86.4

Joe Montana (Career)
              192 5391 3409 63.2 40551 7.52 273 139 313 2095 92.3

the stats speak for themselves in my opinion......and the tables sucked when i copied them, so i provided links
              Last edited by str8jacket; 01-21-2007, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• str8jacket
                Hit Mary, Not Mary Jane
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Southstander
                You still have not told us WHY you think that. Is it because you can't back it up logicly
                Post #36

Done Flip Flopping yet South?

Comment

• str8jacket
                  Hit Mary, Not Mary Jane
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RealBronco
                  um...what. how is it even possible that Marino was better than Elway? Last time I checked, the whole goal of any player playing in the NFL is to win Superbowls...and Marino was never able to do that, and only made it to one.

And second, Elway had better stats than Marino and the only reason he has more wins total is because he stayed in longer...it took him longer to even tie Elway.

I do agree that Montana was better than Elway...Montana is the greatest. He's won the most Superbowls out of any one of them. But I already pointed this out.

The bottom line is that Manning will likely end up mirroring Marino and choking continually when it matters, or he'll end up like Favre, win one and lose one or more than that. The Colts simply aren't good enough and never will be. The only shot they have is playing a weak NFC team in the Superbowl....which, this time doesn't seem like the case.
                  On the case of Manning, he didnt choke last year, Vanderjerk did, that would have been his, and he sure didnt look like he was choking tonight

Im talking in a pure stat standpoint mainly because Championships are won by teams

Comment

• str8jacket
                    Hit Mary, Not Mary Jane
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Southstander
                    Also, just making sure you read this big guy

Comment

• str8jacket
                      Hit Mary, Not Mary Jane
                      • Jan 2006

Well guys, i have to get some sleep

I will continue this very challenging (sarcasm) argument tommorow with you, and PLEASE come up with some better stuff before i come back

:wave: peace out

Comment

• Southstander
                        King of Anvilania
                        • Jun 2005

Also, just making sure you read this big guy
                        http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...2&postcount=27

I should have said RINGS ALONE, don't define a career. Look back at my posts, I said I look at the TOTAL picutre.

And to your post above, you are right, this is not challenging fight, I'm mopping the floor with you.
                        Last edited by Southstander; 01-21-2007, 08:53 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• RealBronco
                          Resident Film Critic
                          • Sep 2003

John Elway (Career)
                          234 7250 4123 56.9 51475 7.10 300 226 516 3785 79.9

Dan Marino (Career)
                          242 8358 4967 59.4 61343 7.34 420 252 271 1940 86.4

Joe Montana (Career)
                          192 5391 3409 63.2 40551 7.52 273 139 313 2095 92.3

the stats speak for themselves in my opinion......and the tables sucked when i copied them, so i provided links

I shuld have said RINGS ALONE, don't define a career. Look back at my posts, I said I look at the TOTAL picutre.
                          The reality is that stats don't really mean a whole lot in the big picture. Manning has amazing stats, Favre has amazing stats, Young had amazing stats and even Plummer has promising looking stats....

the truth is that the stats you read on a sheet of paper or the back of a playing card or a web-page at year's end don't tell the whole truth about the greatness or weakness of a player.

The game itself shows that Marino was amazing, but he was never as good as Elway and Elway was never the caliber or championship winner that Montana was.

Like it or not, the players don't care about their own stats, so why should we? They only care about how many games they win and how many Superbowls they make it to and win. If that's not the point then why even play the game? Why do the players make such a big deal out of losing or not making the playoffs or not winning the Conference Championship games....why? because they all know that the only game that really defines their careers is that on big one played at the end of the year.

So don't come at us with stats, because even your stats tell me that Marino didn't come close to Elway. And if you want to argue stats, then many say the only stat that matters is the one in the 'W' column and according to your stats Elway is the greatest (and you can do the math on that taking into account the number of games played by each QB)....but we all know Montana stands alone.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Southstander
                            King of Anvilania
                            • Jun 2005

The great thing is, we will never get each other to change the other persons mind.

sigpic

Comment

• Lorcust
                              The One and Only...
                              • Jul 2006

Didn't he say (and I as well), that Manning will eventually become the greatest QB ever?

Well I said he could become....

Does that mean he is now?

No... of course not. Far be it from anyone to judge an unfinished career with those of HOFers.

Manning is not done yet. We do not know how many SBs he will win or lose, so using that as a measuring stick, or most wins by someone who has played more games, isn't too accurate.

Hell if Farve comes back next year he'll overtake the TD and most wins record, does that make him the best ever with 2 SBs (1-1)?

Circle arguement, IMO, I just wanted to add a few things.
                              sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                              Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

• omac
                                Special Teams
                                • Jan 2007

I decided not to vote, because I thought the question was conflicting in itself; will he be the next Marino, and will he lose the superbowl. If Marino had a better team, like Elway did with Shanahan, he might've had his superbowl ring. Montana may be the greatest ever, but that 49er team was also packed with talent, and had one of the greatest, most revolutionary coaches ever.

On the ongoing debate on Manning being/becoming the greatest ever ... He gets mass yardage like Marino; he's efficient and makes great, quick decisions like Montana; can bring his team back from a deficit, like Elway, and like him has a great arm; and he owns the no-huddle offense, like Jim Kelly. He's been the most dominating prescense in the league for some years now. I don't know about his career, as anything can happen like with Terrel Davis, but at present, his best performances can be compared to the greats at their best.

I haven't seen him choke even in losses, so I don't expect to see that in the superbowl either. What's great is, the defense and everybody knows he's gonna pass the ball, but eventually, they can't stop him.

Comment

Working...
                                X