Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede
    What do you think of his torn chest muscle? That kind of injury can give players trouble, especially older players like Kerney.

    Anybody remember how Luther Ellis played after his torn chest muscle? The poor guy had the drive to play, but he was noticably weakened and kept reinjuring his chest muscles. That seems to be a bad injury for older defensive lineman to have.
    I don't know much about it, but from the way it seems and what I've read and researched, it's not easy to recover from an injury and it has lingering re-occurences and problems.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    Well, this draft is not really stocked with prototypical Power Ends.

    Charles Johnson and JaMaal Anderson are the most notable, but both could be gone by the time we pick.
    Adam Carriker as well. Slide in Tim Crowder as a bargain pick and even LaMarr Woodley if need be. People are worried about Woodley's height but he's just as big as Johnson. All are to be first day selections, hell there are some guys who could fit the role well that I'm not even mentioning but it's not a weak draft in regards to it at all though.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    Adam Carriker as well. Slide in Tim Crowder as a bargain pick and even LaMarr Woodley if need be. People are worried about Woodley's height but he's just as big as Johnson. All are to be first day selections, hell there are some guys who could fit the role well that I'm not even mentioning but it's not a weak draft in regards to it at all though.
    Your probably right then.

    Self-admitantly I don't follow the draft too much until it starts creeping up.

    I've got a general idea on where many prospects would go, as good as any others opinions of course.

    Either way, I think Kerney would be a good fill-in until Bates, Shanahan, and the Bronco FO deem a worthy long term solution in the upcoming years.


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,952
    I think he'd be a good fill in too, but I'm sick and tired of fill-ins. That's what the "Browncos" were. We haven't taken a high defensive lineman worth a damn since Trevor Pryce (Reggie Hayward for a few years, when we got in him the 3rd out of Iowa State) and that's about it. Where it's no guarantee that drafting a couple lineman on the first day will fix anything, it's worth a shot. Hell, Dumervil in the fourth round last year was tremendous value and as a situational player he did more than any of our lineman outside Pryce have done in the past 5 years or so. Guys like Dan Bazuin, Tim Crowder, etc. as ends will be there in the second/third - and a plethora of other guys too. All would help this team and could be long-term starters for us if they pan out. I'm just giving some names out there, but man. . . I'm just sick of fill-ins.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    I think he'd be a good fill in too, but I'm sick and tired of fill-ins. That's what the "Browncos" were. We haven't taken a high defensive lineman worth a damn since Trevor Pryce (Reggie Hayward for a few years, when we got in him the 3rd out of Iowa State) and that's about it. Where it's no guarantee that drafting a couple lineman on the first day will fix anything, it's worth a shot. Hell, Dumervil in the fourth round last year was tremendous value and as a situational player he did more than any of our lineman outside Pryce have done in the past 5 years or so. Guys like Dan Bazuin, Tim Crowder, etc. as ends will be there in the second/third - and a plethora of other guys too. All would help this team and could be long-term starters for us if they pan out. I'm just giving some names out there, but man. . . I'm just sick of fill-ins.
    Well Shanahan is hiring some impressive defensive minds like Jim Bates, who could help evaluate talents enough to turn us into his kind of defense.

    The kind of defense that ranks in the top 10 year in and year out (his Miami defenses for example).


    150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:


    Denver Broncos General Manager

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    166
    With Freeney tagged and Grant likely to follow Kerney's prize is going up by the minute
    Eric Weddle S Utah

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,594
    I don't understand the commotion...

    Kerney was going to void his final two years all along, that was HOW he was going to have to be franchised this season. If he didn't void his final two years, he wouldn't need to be franchised, now would he?


    As Clayton said, along with Freeney and Grant, who have already been franchised, Atlanta is expected to franchise Kerney still.



    As for him coming here? It would be a short term fix. We need a starting LDE. It's very simple, we just need one. So, in that sense, as long as we get one, I'm happy about it. I think we're going to have to re-sign Courtney Brown.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    166
    Are you sure you have read it correctly ? Without being a 100% certain I think I remember reading Atlanta would NOT tag him. Anyway Shanny has stated that no FA will be over-paid for, and I suspect a team who wants Kerney will have to do just that

    *shrugs*
    Eric Weddle S Utah

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    5,077
    I really do not know if we will get to touch him. Unfortunatley Dream is correct in the fact of how deep the draft is, and that a top of the possible franchise tag that Atlanta might toss on him will in fact likely make him out of reach.

    We do not need some first round stud end, not in a rotational system like we use. If we did not use the rotation so much I could see us devoting a lot of money to the position like many other teams...like Indianapolis does with Freeney. But LaMaar Woodley, Crowder, Bazuin, Moore, Abiamiri and many other good ends will be available for the system out of the first round. We need a defensive tackle and halfback imho more then we do another defensive end.
    ...Master Protagonist...

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    952
    QUOTE
    I think he'd be a good fill in too, but I'm sick and tired of fill-ins. That's what the "Browncos" were. We haven't taken a high defensive lineman worth a damn since Trevor Pryce (Reggie Hayward for a few years, when we got in him the 3rd out of Iowa State) and that's about it. Where it's no guarantee that drafting a couple lineman on the first day will fix anything, it's worth a shot. Hell, Dumervil in the fourth round last year was tremendous value and as a situational player he did more than any of our lineman outside Pryce have done in the past 5 years or so. Guys like Dan Bazuin, Tim Crowder, etc. as ends will be there in the second/third - and a plethora of other guys too. All would help this team and could be long-term starters for us if they pan out. I'm just giving some names out there, but man. . . I'm just sick of fill-ins.
    __________________

    Me too! SICK OF FILL-INS! It showed last year as a glaring need.
    The problem for alot of us, is do we go after a "luxury pick" (RB) in the 1st and wait till the 2nd to adress the DL/DE? Or do we grab one of these guys (Carriker ect.) in the 1st. Hope for quality in the 2nd. I really think there is going to be a ton of quality at a bunch of positions in the 2nd round of this years draft.
    Lots of quality at DL, S, RB, possibly DE, OL. Even WR has some interesting options. The more i look at mock drafts the more i am starting ti think that the Broncos should be stockpiling 2nd rounders. Lots og quality this year will fall to the 2nd simply because of team needs. Broncos seem to be one of those teams.
    I am all for FA, but if its for a 1-2 year band-aid, i am not so sure.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    48
    Got this out of the hot rumors section over at Http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl

    "Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney plans to void the remaining two years of his contract he's owed $13.8 million next week, making him an unrestricted free agent, according to his co-representative, Rich Rosa. Beginning today, Kerney has a week to opt out of his deal, which he is expected to do, although he probably won't rush. According to Rosa, he wants to work out a new deal with the Falcons. If Kerney voids his contract after Thursday, the Falcons would not be able to stop him from becoming an unrestricted free agent."

    He is going to void $13.8 mil, that definately puts him out of our pay range. The only thing that would bring him to Denver is some serious love for his old D line coach.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    166
    Here's what I could find, seems tagging him is indeed an option afterall

    (KFFL) Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons could designate DE Patrick Kerney as their franchise player this year after Kerney recently voided the final two years of his contract so he could become an unrestricted free agent. The franchise tag would give Kerney a one-year, $8.6 million tender and give the club right to match any outside offer he receives or be compensated with two first-round draft choices. The deadline to designate franchise players is Thursday, Feb. 22.
    Eric Weddle S Utah

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    far away from you
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_helmet
    Here's what I could find, seems tagging him is indeed an option afterall

    (KFFL) Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons could designate DE Patrick Kerney as their franchise player this year after Kerney recently voided the final two years of his contract so he could become an unrestricted free agent. The franchise tag would give Kerney a one-year, $8.6 million tender and give the club right to match any outside offer he receives or be compensated with two first-round draft choices. The deadline to designate franchise players is Thursday, Feb. 22.

    Man **** that, he's a good player but he ain't no Peppers or Freeney.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    8,594
    Quote Originally Posted by lancane
    I really do not know if we will get to touch him. Unfortunatley Dream is correct in the fact of how deep the draft is, and that a top of the possible franchise tag that Atlanta might toss on him will in fact likely make him out of reach.

    We do not need some first round stud end, not in a rotational system like we use. If we did not use the rotation so much I could see us devoting a lot of money to the position like many other teams...like Indianapolis does with Freeney. But LaMaar Woodley, Crowder, Bazuin, Moore, Abiamiri and many other good ends will be available for the system out of the first round. We need a defensive tackle and halfback imho more then we do another defensive end.
    The problem is we don't know what type of system we will be running. We've ran a rotation system in the past and its failed to a large degree. The new coach may not like that concept. Personally, I have no idea what *type* of players Bates wants.

    It appears he wants to run a two-gap system inside and allow the LBs to make plays. That means bigger DTs that strictly clog. I'm not sure what that means for the DEs. He might favor two small DEs for pass rushing purposes. If so, a traditional Power End would be out.

    It's really annoying though, not knowing what type of player we are looking for. It makes predicting free agents and the like extremely frustrating.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ready and Waiting on the Sidelines...
    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    The problem is we don't know what type of system we will be running. We've ran a rotation system in the past and its failed to a large degree. The new coach may not like that concept. Personally, I have no idea what *type* of players Bates wants.

    It appears he wants to run a two-gap system inside and allow the LBs to make plays. That means bigger DTs that strictly clog. I'm not sure what that means for the DEs. He might favor two small DEs for pass rushing purposes. If so, a traditional Power End would be out.

    It's really annoying though, not knowing what type of player we are looking for. It makes predicting free agents and the like extremely frustrating.
    But it makes for a great thrill and surprise eh?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •