• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Broncos
    Practice Squad
    • Jan 2005

Cause of Death?

The cause of death is not determined yet, but I would imagine that it is Hypertrophic Obstructive CardioMyopathy (HOCM or IHSS). Basically, your heart muscle around the valve where the blood gets expelled from the heart is enlarged. The enlarged muscle blocks the outflow tract and makes it difficult for the heart to expel the blood out to your body.

Unfortunately, a lot of times we don't know that patients have this until they suddenly die. Sometimes, you can catch this earlier if the patient complains of lightheadedness or the feeling of almost passing out.

That's why it's so important to go to a physician and get checked out, especially if you have a family history of heart condidtions, heart attacks, and death at a young age. If anyone in your family has had a heart condidtion at an early age, please get checked out. (Early age meaning younger than 55). I think we should even consider getting echocardiograms on all athletes so we can correct this problem before anyone dies. An echo is an ultrasoud of the heart, you can pick this HOCM up with an echo.

It's ironic that he was at a charity event for heart transplant and he ended up passing of a heart condition.

May he rest in peace! Our hearts go out to the Nash family. Take care Damien! Have fun up there! You're in a better place!

www.FootballTimes.org

Join our growing football community!

We buy football articles!
    Free football playbooks, football plays, flag football strategies and plays, backyard football, fantasy football, reviews, articles, coaching, and a discussion forum!
  • CHARLIEADAMSFAN
    Locker 41-Glenn Davis
    • Sep 2006

yes probably that or some other type of heart defect

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

• Snk16
      All-Pro
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN
      Yes, perhaps the heart problems run in the family. (His brother needed a heart transplant).

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
      2. Taxes
      3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

• champbronc2
        R.I.P. DWill Damien Sean
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Snk16
        Yes, perhaps the heart problems run in the family. (His brother needed a heart transplant).
        That sounds very likely.

Hopefully we will have some news in the coming week.
        MMA News
        MMA News 247

Comment

• TheFuture6
          Special Teams
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN
          that would be a tragic irony since the event he was at was a fundraiser for heart transplants. RIP Damien

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

• Dr. Broncos
            Practice Squad
            • Jan 2005

Yes, this does run in the family and has a genetic component.

www.FootballTimes.org

Join our growing football community!

We buy football articles!
            Free football playbooks, football plays, flag football strategies and plays, backyard football, fantasy football, reviews, articles, coaching, and a discussion forum!

Comment

• DarrentCB27
              Practice Squad
              • Jan 2007

Even if it is obvious he had a heart problem, there is no telling for sure what it was without an autopsy. It is unfortunate that killer diseases sneak up on you like that - and a sad reminder we all need to get tested before any symptoms develop. I know firsthand from my dad passing away in 2005 how crucial getting tested early is: he felt fine, never would have gotten a colonoscopy without the urging of my older sister, and already was stage 4 (when it spreads to other organs) by the time he got tested. This sad reality happens to people at any age. The passing of Damien Nash proved once again you can't assume nothing is wrong just because you feel, look, and act healthy.

Even knowing this, however, I am still shocked it happened to someone who was only 24 and playing basketball with no apparent problems. The report still seems so unreal. I can't believe yet another 24-year old, seemingly healthy professional athlete died so quickly. Maybe I won't be as stunned after autopsy results come in, depending on what went wrong, but even then, it still won't seem real to me. Has anyone heard or read when the cause of death will be determined?

Rest in peace, Damien. We all know your heart was in the right place.

Comment

Working...
              X