Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

PFT: Players union filing grievance-Plummer

They are saying that Plummer filed retirement papers Friday and the NFLPA is trying to get the trade voided.

Good question, "If he is retired, why does he care?" I think this trade may in some way screw up his plan to unretire and play for another team of his choice (Hous or Jax).

My question is even if he is retired we still own his rights thru his current contract, so why can't we trade those rights?
    Last edited by Cutler2007; 03-04-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler2007
    They are saying that Plummer filed retirement papers Friday and the NFLPA is trying to get the trade voided.

Good question, "If he is retired, why does he care?" I think this trade may in some way screw up his plan to unretire and play for another team of his choice (Hous or Jax).

My question is even if he is retired we still own his rights thru his current contract, so why can't we trade those rights?

Here is the article

UNION TO PROTEST PLUMMER TRADE

A league source tells us that the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance objecting to the trade that sent Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft pick.

The argument is that, because Plummer actually filed retirement papers on Friday, his rights cannot be traded.

And while the NFLPA likely has a valid point, the immediate question is why do they care? If Plummer is retired, then he's retired.

If the grievance is successful, the trade most likely would be voided, and Plummer's rights returned to the Broncos.

It's believed that the Bucs plan to trade Plummer's rights to the Raiders. It's also believed that Plummer wants to play for the Texans.
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif

Denver and Tampa actually made the deal friday... tentative deal... then plummer pulled this "retirement" nonsense. That should play in their favor. They can argue Plummer had all this time to declare retirement... why wait till moment that trade goes down?

NFL would set a terrible precident if they allow a player to void trades, dishonor contracts, by declaring retirement... only to dictate where they want to go.

Heck, Julius Peppers could retire than sign with Broncos!

All this does is prove what a snake jake really is... that he HAS no intention to retire. If you want to play for Texans, force Kubiak to part with a 4th rounder! DOn't play this game with Shanny... you will lose.

OK, here is the alternative. Plummer has three years left on his contract right? By Plummer retiring, not only does Denver retain the right to his services for the duration of that contract but they also dont have to pay him since he is retired. The only hit to the Broncos is the accelerate portion of his unpaid prorated signing bonus, correct? So basically, if Denver wanted to, they could simply not trade Plummer and not renounce his rights (ie the contract Plummer and the Broncos agreed to) for three years. And during the remaining 2 years, Denver would only have to pay Jake if he unretired which isnt likely to happen since it would suck for Plummer to be on the team given the circumstances. Basically, in the Jake retired scenario, Denver holds the upper hand and can **** him over a lot more than what theyre doing now. So this really makes little sense. By the way, Im assuming this is how it works because if Denver doesnt retain the rights, it doesnt really make sense because if they dont guys would be retiring and unretiring all the time in order to go where they want...so it doesnt really make sense unless Denver continues to hold the rights to his services.
    Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 03-03-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Its My Ball And If I Cant Start, Then Im Going Home!!!!!!!!!

PFT= garbage

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho
    Its My Ball And If I Cant Start, Then Im Going Home!!!!!!!!!
    Screw you guys. I'm going home.

All i know is that plummer is getting in the way of shanahans F/A process and may be distracting him... im POd

Quote Originally Posted by lex
    OK, here is the alternative. Plummer has three years left on his contract right? By Plummer retiring, not only does Denver retain the right to his services for the duration of that contract but they also dont have to pay him since he is retired. The only hit to the Broncos is the accelerate portion of his unpaid prorated signing bonus, correct? So basically, if Denver wanted to, they could simply not trade Plummer and not renounce his rights (ie the contract Plummer and the Broncos agreed to) for three years. And during the remaining 2 years, Denver would only have to pay Jake if he unretired which isnt likely to happen since it would suck for Plummer to be on the team given the circumstances. Basically, in the Jake retired scenario, Denver holds the upper hand and can d*ck him over a lot more than what theyre doing now. So this really makes little sense. By the way, Im assuming this is how it works because if Denver doesnt retain the rights, it doesnt really make sense because if they dont guys would be retiring and unretiring all the time in order to go where they want...so it doesnt really make sense unless Denver continues to hold the rights to his services.
    Why should Plummer care if his rights are traded for a conditional pick if he's going to retire anyway? Probably because he's trying to remove any value there is in his trading to another team. If he unretires and Denver can no longer get anything for him, he probably thinks Denver will just cut him, and he'll be able to go to Houston. Shanahan wanted something out of Plummer should he pull any shenanigans after retiring, and the conditional pick would be the perfect solution.

Like fraguela09 said, if Houston really wanted Plummer, they could give us the #8 pick in the 4th round at the very least.

If he is retiring, then trading his rights wouldn't matter anyway. But now, it sure looks like he's trying to get out of honoring his end of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by omac
    Why should Plummer care if his rights are traded for a conditional pick if he's going to retire anyway? Probably because he's trying to remove any value there is in his trading to another team. If he unretires and Denver can no longer get anything for him, he probably thinks Denver will just cut him, and he'll be able to go to Houston. Shanahan wanted something out of Plummer should he pull any shenanigans after retiring, and the conditional pick would be the perfect solution.

Like fraguela09 said, if Houston really wanted Plummer, they could give us the #8 pick in the 4th round at the very least.

If he is retiring, then trading his rights wouldn't matter anyway. But now, it sure looks like he's trying to get out of honoring his end of his contract.
    What I was getting at is that Denver could end his career unless Jake wants to unretire to come back to a team that he doesnt want to be any part of. Its assumed that he will be cut or traded by unretiring but Denver could actually let him waste away. Id like to see them send him to NFL Europe if he unretires. And then cut him at a time when he has to scramble for a starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09
    Denver and Tampa actually made the deal friday... tentative deal... then plummer pulled this "retirement" nonsense. That should play in their favor. They can argue Plummer had all this time to declare retirement... why wait till moment that trade goes down?

NFL would set a terrible precident if they allow a player to void trades, dishonor contracts, by declaring retirement... only to dictate where they want to go.

Heck, Julius Peppers could retire than sign with Broncos!

All this does is prove what a snake jake really is... that he HAS no intention to retire. If you want to play for Texans, force Kubiak to part with a 4th rounder! DOn't play this game with Shanny... you will lose.
    I believe that even if the tentative deal was actually made on friday...it would not be in effect into saturday per NFL rules. Which means that on the actual effective day of the trade, plummer had already retire.

Is important becuase of salary caps and if he retires he retires a bronco.

It may also violate agreements and may show bad faith on the part of the broncos.

I don't know but that same thing happen with barry sanders.
    :devil:

Fine, let them cancel the trade. Then we go after Plummer and recoup every cent of the signing bonus that he's going to count against us this year. We did it to Lelie (although I think he won his appeal which is B.S.), we can go after Plummer, too. If he really wants to raise a fuss over this he'd better be prepared to be retired - for good. He'll never work in this league again!

After all the money we shelled out to him to get mediocre results in return, you'd think he wouldn't be this vindictive. Oh well, I've got a feeling this isn't over - not by a long shot. The last guy you want to mess with is one of the most respected coaches in the League.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 03-03-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    Fine, let them cancel the trade. Then we go after Plummer and recoup every cent of the signing bonus that he's going to count against us this year. We did it to Lelie (although I think he won his appeal which is B.S.), we can go after Plummer, too. If he really wants to raise a fuss over this he'd better be prepared to be retired - for good. He'll never work in this league again!

After all the money we shelled out to him to get mediocre results in return, you'd think he wouldn't be this vindictive. Oh well, I've got a feeling this isn't over - not by a long shot. The last guy you want to mess with is one of the most respected coaches in the League.

we can't recoup anything if he unretires right before the preseason.

we won't be able to trade him and he knows that. He can harm us more than we can do him.

look at what happen with lelie at the end he got his way.

Fyi, he did not make that much money, infact he play for less than a million a believe his first two seasons... the last three are loaded however.
    :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by GodofallGods
    Here is the article

UNION TO PROTEST PLUMMER TRADE

A league source tells us that the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance objecting to the trade that sent Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft pick.

The argument is that, because Plummer actually filed retirement papers on Friday, his rights cannot be traded.

And while the NFLPA likely has a valid point, the immediate question is why do they care? If Plummer is retired, then he's retired.

If the grievance is successful, the trade most likely would be voided, and Plummer's rights returned to the Broncos.

It's believed that the Bucs plan to trade Plummer's rights to the Raiders. It's also believed that Plummer wants to play for the Texans.
    Now it all makes sense! Plummer and Shanahan are playing hardball with each other and Plummer just won a round.

Round 1: Shanahan declines to trade Plummer to Texans and decides to trade Plummer to Bucs for 4th rounder.

Round 2: Plummer, pissed that Denver didn't take the Houston offer (whatever it was we don't know) and files "retirement" papers torpedoing the trade.

Round 3: Shanahan is pissed. He takes revenge on Plummer by trading him anyway to Bucs. Now Bucs will have to eat his contract and if Plummer wants to "un-retire" he'll have to play for them.

Round 4: Plummer trumps Shanahan's ace by filing a grievance with the Union.

See, if Plummer is a Bronco when he "un-retires" the team retains his rights. Then they either have to pay him his salary of $5.5 million or whatever or cut him. And we know they're not going to pay him, even if they had the money, which they don't.

Plus, apparently, according to some sources the new CBA would remove the cap hit from the Broncos if they traded him, which would enable Denver to spend more money on FAs.

So, if Shanahan was pissed before he'll have steam coming out of his ears now!

Plummer's plan is to force the Broncos to cut him. That way he can be a FA and sign with the Texans without them having to give Denver anything at all.

The only hitch in this little plan is if the Texans keep David Carr they might not want Plummer anyway. That's not exactly clear, but his agent might have some understanding that the Texans would sign Plummer to a new contract if he were a FA.

Shanahan could be expected to try and get some of Plummer's signing bonus back if he pulled that, but I don't know he'd be successful. The new CBA apparently clamped down on teams trying to sue players to re-gain part or all of their signing bonus for various conduct clauses and the like.

This may actually screw Denver bad. I'm not sure if it does or not, because it's unclear whether a trade clears the pro-rated signing bonus from the Broncos cap. If it did, then having Plummer back would put all the dead cap space back on the cap and Denver would be suddenly OVER the cap by millions. Not cool.

But, if I were correct, and the signing bonus remains with the team that trades a player, then it wouldn't matter much. Denver just doesn't get the conditional 2008 pick, which might be as high as a 4th rounder, but would be conditional on Plummer reporting to the Bucs probably. So, that's unlikely to happen. He'll either retire or become a FA and sign with Texas it looks like.

At this point, I'm guessing that Plummer will win his grievance. If he retired prior to the trade, I don't see how they can trade his rights. But, perhaps the league might uphold it too, since the trade was conditional. I imagine that all this could wind up before the arbitrator sometime later this year. Meanwhile who knows what the cap consequences could be.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    Now it all makes sense! Plummer and Shanahan are playing hardball with each other and Plummer just won a round.

Gotta stop that there. Like I said in my previous post, Shanahan was trying to get the best deal for Denver, the organization he works for. That's what the Tampa picks were about. It's only Jake who was trying to screw Denver out of the deal, so that he could get cut and go to Houston.

Again, why didn't Houston offer Denver a 4th rounder for Plummer. Kubiak wants something for nothing, and if Shanahan agreed to that, knowing that he could get a better deal for Denver, then he (Shanahan) would be the one screwing Denver. As it is, Jake is the one screwing Denver, and dis-honoring his contract by his intentions of un-retiring, as the move to block the trade for his rights would indicate.

I agree that Jake has a responsibility to do what's best for himself, but as a professional who gets paid huge amounts of cash, he also has a responsibility to uphold the trust implied in his nfl contract. Trades are a part of that, and so is retirement, but retiring to un-retire later is just trying to get around the agreement, neither professional, nor honorable.