Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    It's in his best interest if he has enough money to retire on and doesn't want to play in the NFL anymore.
    Its actually in the Broncos best interest since Plummer will be giving a nice chunk of it back.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    That's good question. Seau retired at the end of the '05 season for what all 15 minutes and unretired. But I must admit I don't he had filed his retirement papers with the League.
    Exactly, I would almost bet that Seau didn't file papers. He probably intended to do things after the graduation/retirement speech.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

what if?

Maybe the guy wanted to retire. Maybe the union is acting on its own. Maybe this post is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by lex
    Its actually in the Broncos best interest since Plummer will be giving a nice chunk of it back.
    As a Bronco fan, I hope they are able to get some of his signing bonus back, but they will have to win a court hearing/arbitration case. However, they will probably be able to win it. If they had just released him, there would have been no way to collect the signing bonus money.

However, that doesn't mean it isn't in Jake's best interest, which is what you stated.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Good let him retire - then the Broncos will go after him to pay back the pro-rated share of his signing bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by DenFanNPckrLand
    Here's my take on this whole thing. I appreciate Jake looking out for Jake. It's the first rule of survival (looking out for #1). Here's the thing though: if he really just decided that he was sick of the beatings (mental and physical), the 6-7 or so months of every year devoted to his team, etc., then why doesn't he just retire? What's with the grievance BS? If the league recieved his retirement papers on Friday, why is there no record of this? Why was the trade allowed to happen? All trades are reviewed by the NFL, right?

There's way too much spite going on here. Did Johnny Unitas piss and moan when he ended up a Charger at the end of his career? How about Joe Namath? Did he get all upset when he ended up as a Ram (granted he put himself in this position, but it applies). No. Know why? Because these guys had enough faith in their skills to think that they might have one last hurrah. They thought they might have enough experience and moxie to help a young team pull itself up. They could've retired, and would've had the same right as Jake to do so. Instead, they played the cards they were dealt.

In closing, if Jake doesn't have faith in himself anymore (competition wise), and is tired of the rigors that go along with a 16-game NFL season, he should retire. But he should do so without all the head games.
    Oh... NOW its ok to compare him to HOF greats and NFL legends like Joe Namath and Johny Unitas.

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ballen
    The league can not uphold his grievance, if they did every player would pull this move everytime they didn't agree with a trade. There would be no more trades in the NFL. It's already rare because the player can say he won't show up to camp(T.O. when traded to Ravens) or ask for a ridiculous salary(like Mcgahee is doing us now).
    The problems is that, the league don't have to uphold his grievance.
    Plummer is not filing a grievence, the union is.

The constest that while Plummer had already file Retirement paper on Friday.
    Broncos deliverate trade his rights.
    The problem is that if he file does papers. there are not rights to be traded.

If the player is not longer an active player of the NFL.
    You can't trade an inactive player.
    The league has rules about trading deadline...saturday.
    He retire on Friday.
    How can you trade what is not yours.

The problem is that while he only files paper...he still counts agains't the cap.

If, he so decide to come back, the broncos may have to release him or release some one else.

Broncos are dealing with plummer as no more than a buss. transaction and Plummer is dealing on that same way.

many Players have done this before.

Including Elway.
    He retire before his contract was over.
    If the broncos did not go after his signing bonus, but they do Jake's that is grounds
    for a grievance by the union.
    :devil:

Didn't Eddie Kennison retire while a Bronco only to sign with the Chiefs? It's been a few years...Anyone remember the details of that fiasco?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcust
    Oh... NOW its ok to compare him to HOF greats and NFL legends like Joe Namath and Johny Unitas.
    [SARCASM]Hell yeah! In fact, I forgot to compare him to Joe Montana and Y.A. Tittle while I was at it![/SARCASM]

There's only two opinions (and either one could be the truth if you think about it): 1)He's a giant d-bag who's afraid to compete. 2) He's standing up for himself and doing whatever he thinks is best for him. I personally think it's a little of both. Either way, he's going to get what he wants, and we'll never see him in a Broncos uni again. I wish him the best at being a QB, a mountain man, or whatever it is he's got in mind.
    Posters adopted: Fargo, Atwater, Jake N Bake, Biggregb, McSmashie and Peanut!

THsi thread is a thinly veiled Plumemr bashing session.

A little detail that everyone seems to be assuming based on the title of this thread:

Plummer himself has not filed a grievence. The NFLPA filed it.

The article in question even says so:

A league source tells us that the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance objecting to the trade that sent Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft pick.

The argument is that, because Plummer actually filed retirement papers on Friday, his rights cannot be traded.

As a union, they need to do this. Otherwise, teams wil be able to dump any possible future salary cap obligations (in the case of a player changing their mind ala Junior Seau) onto another team. In essence, this would allow teams to create space that the CBA does not allow for.

Also, it would seriously hurt the NFLPA's members who are active if the player in question DID change their mind. Because the new team would be obligated to some or all of the contract they took on when they obtained the rights. So, they either need to just leave a hole that big in the cap, which takes away from salary of active players, or they would have to cut a number of other players to make room for the un-retired player.

The NFLPA wouldn't exactly be standing up for it's members if it allowed teams to simply get rid of cap obliagations for retired players.

I have yet to read one thing that says Plummer cares either way about what is happening.

Mind you, I don't care what he thinks.

But I find it funny that his ability to polarize people extends to actiosn that he is not even being credited for.

Which says a lot more about the people who post than about Plummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    This thread is a thinly veiled Plummer bashing session.

A little detail that everyone seems to be assuming based on the title of this thread:

Plummer himself has not filed a grievance. The NFLPA filed it.

The article in question even says so:

A league source tells us that the NFL Players Association is expected to file a grievance objecting to the trade that sent Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft pick.

The argument is that, because Plummer actually filed retirement papers on Friday, his rights cannot be traded.

As a union, they need to do this. Otherwise, teams will be able to dump any possible future salary cap obligations (in the case of a player changing their mind ala Junior Seau) onto another team. In essence, this would allow teams to create space that the CBA does not allow for.

Also, it would seriously hurt the NFLPA's members who are active if the player in question DID change their mind. Because the new team would be obligated to some or all of the contract they took on when they obtained the rights. So, they either need to just leave a hole that big in the cap, which takes away from salary of active players, or they would have to cut a number of other players to make room for the un-retired player.

The NFLPA wouldn't exactly be standing up for it's members if it allowed teams to simply get rid of cap obligations for retired players.

I have yet to read one thing that says Plummer cares either way about what is happening.

Mind you, I don't care what he thinks.

But I find it funny that his ability to polarize people extends to actions that he is not even being credited for.

Which says a lot more about the people who post than about Plummer.
    Denver trading their "rights" to Jake Plummer doesn't just make what's owed him just go away. One team or the other has to take the responsibility don't they?
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    Denver trading their "rights" to Jake Plummer doesn't just make what's owed him just go away. One team or the other has to take the responsibility don't they?

If the original source (PFT) is to be believed, the CBA does not allow a team to trade the rights of retired players, only unsigned draft picks.

This is because a trade, in most cases, not only trades players, but remaining value of the contracts for the players. Sometimes teams don't trade even value, but obviously, a player's new team must either be willing to pay that contract, or renegotiate it, whereas his old team was not willing or not able to.

Thusly, a team trading away a retired contract (which it is still partially obligated to) for future draft picks, who may or may not ever be signed, means that a team has effectively gotten out of 100% of it's financial burden to that player.

The NFLPA will never allow teams to do that. Right now, when a player is cut, he still gets all of his guaranteed bonus money. It is just accelerated. But he still gets something. It's the NFLPA's job to make sure he gets it.

And, I am assuming based on the NFLPA's actions, that the new team that retains the rights to the retired player's contract must have no obligation to him under the CBA.

Now, in the real world, when you retire, you generally stop drawing a paycheck from your job, unless you have a contract that states otherwise. This make sense.

But the NFL and pro sports are not the real world. Not by a longshot.
    Last edited by Jared; 03-04-2007 at 06:44 PM.

If he retires, it will be as a broncos rightnow.
    :devil:

I 'd love to retire at 32.

I'd love to be able to tell my employer. "I DON"T NEED YOUR STINKING $5 MILLION DOLLARS FOR SITTING ON THE PINE AND THROWING DUCKS"

OMG!!! Give me $5MILLION AND I'LL QUIT!!!
    [IMG]http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum/dpa54/ringomov.gif[/IMG]

"I am the eggman... HOO... I am the Walrus... Koo Koo Ka Choo" - Jay Cutler