Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

This Just In---Clarett bust/Shanny GM

I am not a Shanny lover, who thinks he can do no wrong. I will admit though, that I think he is one of the best coaches in the game. As a GM I think he is probably above avg, but certainly not one of the best. I realize he has made mistakes in drafts, but its getting to be a little annoying when people keep bringing up Clarett. I understand bringing up the busted 1st rders, (even though many 1st rders by ALL teams have busted), but repeatedly bringing up the 101st pick in a draft as evidence that Shanny cant draft is a little absurd. To get a little perspective, I have listed the 15 picks before and after Clarett. Lets see how many superstars were drafted in Claretts area.

Now I am sure there were very solid players taken after Clarett, so please dont bring up some superstar drafted in the 6th rd, we all know that can happen. Its rare but it happens. My point is just to show how many other teams in the same general vicinity didnt end up with a stud. For some reason it seems easy to ridicule Denver, and Shanny for this pick, but how many other teams made great team changing picks there. How many? By the end of the 3rd, top of the 4th, you are really taking a chance. There are no sure things in the 1st rd, and by pick 100, even riskier.

Again my point is just to show, that very few teams near this pick made a foundation changing pick. You shouldn't expect to draft a star here. If it happens great, but drafting Clarett isnt much worse than half the picks on this list. Yes there are a few starters, and some backups, but how many busts are there???? So can we please give Shanny a break for getting a bust with the 101st pick!!!

85 Seattle David Greene QB Georgia
    86 Buffalo Kevin Everett TE Miami
    87 Jacksonville Scott Starks CB Wisconsin
    88 N.Y. Jets Sione Pouha NT Utah
    89 Carolina Atiyyah Ellison DT Missouri
    90 Atlanta Jordan Beck MLB Cal Poly-SLO
    91 Tampa Bay Chris Colmer T North Carolina State
    92 Indianapolis Vincent Burns DT Kentucky
    93 Pittsburgh Trai Essex T Northwestern
    94 San Francisco Adam Snyder T Oregon
    95 Arizona Darryl Blackstock OLB Virginia
    96 Tennessee Brandon Jones WR Oklahoma
    97 Denver Domonique Foxworth CB Maryland
    98 Seattle LeRoy Hill OLB Clemson
    99 Kansas City Dustin Colquitt P Tennessee
    100 New England Nick Kaczur T Toledo
    101 Denver Maurice Clarett RB Ohio State

Round 4
    Sel# Team Player Pos. School
    102 Philadelphia Sean Considine SS Iowa
    103 Cleveland Antonio Perkins CB Oklahoma
    104 Miami Travis Daniels CB Louisiana State
    105 Seattle Ray Willis T Florida State
    106 Chicago Kyle Orton QB Purdue
    107 Tampa Bay Dan Buenning G Wisconsin
    108 Tennessee Vincent Fuller FS Virginia Tech
    109 Dallas Marion Barber RB Minnesota
    110 N.Y. Giants Brandon Jacobs RB Southern Illinois
    111 Arizona Elton Brown G Virginia
    112 Minnesota Ciatrick Fason RB Florida
    113 Tennessee David Stewart T Mississippi State
    114 Houston Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
    115 Green Bay Marviel Underwood SS San Diego State
    116 Kansas City Craphonso Thorpe WR Florida State

Kind of cool, IMO, that Foxworth is the best player on that list.

Colquitt is very good too, even though he's a punter.

Barber is a good short yardage back, same with Jacobs.

Agreed, there are definitely a few solid players on that list. Esp the guys you named. We can also see there are alot of busts on that list not named Maurice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    Kind of cool, IMO, that Foxworth is the best player on that list.

Colquitt is very good too, even though he's a punter.

Barber is a good short yardage back, same with Jacobs.
    Barber is actually regarded as a better RB than Jones. Cowboys opponents always say that out of the two, Marion is the one that needs to be gameplanned for.

Cowboys were expected to take Clarrett over him though should he dropped I heard.

But it is very frustrating knowing that both Brandon Jacobs and Marion Barber (who would be an absolute beast behind our line) were still on the board. im over the whole Clarett thing though...

The thing that gets me with Clarett, is Shanahan used a third round pick on a guy that did EVERYTHING wrong. Everything.

It's like he wanted to just throw the pick away.

Passing on Barber for Clarett was a monumental bonehead move. The guy was a legit one cut runner in college, and with the benefit of hindsight, Dallas is looking to trade jones because they feel Barber is their guy.

Chalk it up as another one under Shanny.

Quote Originally Posted by ydave77
    So can we please give Shanny a break for getting a bust with the 101st pick!!!

I could easily look over that pick, only if it wasn't for the countless other boneheaded moves Shanahan and company made on draft day.

How do you screw up an entire draft?

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic
    I could easily look over that pick, only if it wasn't for the countless other boneheaded moves Shanahan and company made on draft day.

How do you screw up an entire draft?
    Eat one too many special brownies before the draft?

The thing that gets me with Clarett, is Shanahan used a third round pick on a guy that did EVERYTHING wrong. Everything.

Passing on Barber for Clarett was a monumental bonehead move. The guy was a legit one cut runner in college, and with the benefit of hindsight, Dallas is looking to trade jones because they feel Barber is their guy.

Well 32 teams passed on Barber a few times, before his name got called. But thats neither here nor there.

My point really is that I dont think Clarett was any worse of a pick than half the picks made right near him. Yes a couple were good like Barber, but most were throw-a-ways. The Clarett pick was actually relatively low risk-hi reward. If you remember the guy was an absolute beast his freshman yr. He certainly had an attitude problem, but Shanny evidently felt he had superstar potential. So throwing away the 101st pick to try to land a superstar doesnt seem like a horrible move.
    Again most of the picks made near there were just as bad. There were 30 picks I listed there, most of them bad, bringing up a few good picks, doesnt change the fact that most GMs made bad picks, not just Shanny!

Quote Originally Posted by ydave77

My point really is that I dont think Clarett was any worse of a pick than half the picks made right near him. Yes a couple were good like Barber, but most were throw-a-ways. The Clarett pick was actually relatively low risk-hi reward. If you remember the guy was an absolute beast his freshman yr. He certainly had an attitude problem, but Shanny evidently felt he had superstar potential. So throwing away the 101st pick to try to land a superstar doesnt seem like a horrible move.
    Again most of the picks made near there were just as bad. There were 30 picks I listed there, most of them bad, bringing up a few good picks, doesnt change the fact that most GMs made bad picks, not just Shanny!

Well, I'm not worried so much about GM's in comparison, I get concered what Shanny does though. The best teams (most successful) build their teams through the draft. It's a fact. I can pull any team out of the last 5 SuperBowl winners and show you, even the SuperBowl losers. Good drafting teams use the majority of all the middle round picks for depth, or special teams.

Shanahan uses a different system, one of free agency and the infamous "one player away" statement where he feels he can fill the voids through free agency. That's fine, I'm not saying that can't work.

But to have a third round pick not even see preseason is a terrible draft pick. Busts happen all over the board.

But how many 1st/2nd round picks has Denver had in the last few years where they just get flat out cut? And a 3rd round pick that doesn't even make it to a point where he's fighting for a roster spot?

It's an either or argument, and my opinions on throwing out "Shanahan drafting a bust" has been frequent over the years. But he has done a great job in ht elast 2 drafts, and if he keeps that up, the future Clarett like picks will be more forgiving.

The problem with the Clarett pick was the person, not the player.

Anyone with half a brain and one eyeball could have seen trouble coming with that pick.

We almost went after T.O. as I re-call.

If a guy has character issues, he needs to go elsewhere IMO.

Turner, the RB coach, who also coached Clarett at Ohio State, recommended him. Shanahan is ultimately responsible for making selections and it was a monumentally poor pick (we had Anderson, Bell and had recently signed Dayne) but Turner should not have let loyalty affect who he suggests. And Shanahan shouldnt have been looking to take a RB let alone Clarett with that pick. Denver had just selected 3 CBs in a row (which turned out to be shrewed) and then they picked a 4th string RB.

It was a ridiculous bonehead move to pass on Marques Colston and take one of the WR in the draft last year. Colston was so much better than any other rookie WR. The only problem is, nobody knew.

Being smart is so easy when you know the right answer. Clarett was a guy with a TON of raw talent when he was in college and high school. Shanny took a flier on a guy who could be the next TD or the next Joe Nobody. The only sure thing was that Marion Barber or Brandon Jacobs are never going to have 2000 yard rushing seasons, but Clarett could have if he had gotten back to where he was and if he had gotten straightened out.

As we all know now, he didn't. But this is a case of drafting the guy with the most talent and the biggest potential rather than the guy who is going to be okay. Like buying a lottery ticket, you would rather buy a ticket you have a 1 in a 100 million shot at winning 1 million dollars than a ticket you have a 10% of winning 2 bucks.

Isn't Ted Sundquist our GM???? What gives.

It was a low risk pick, and if it worked out, we had a guy with HoF talent. Clarett's from around my area, in fact, my running back coach coached him at Warren Harding. Clarett had amazing vision, the greatest my coach had ever seen.

He could have been great. Now he's in jail.
    DARRENT WILLIAMS
    1982-2007

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.