Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkana7
    It was a low risk pick, and if it worked out, we had a guy with HoF talent. Clarett's from around my area, in fact, my running back coach coached him at Warren Harding. Clarett had amazing vision, the greatest my coach had ever seen.

He could have been great. Now he's in jail.
    Wouldnt you say that a lot of HS coaches would say similar things about players theyve coached that are in the draft? And honestly, even if he had turned pro after his freshman year, durability was going to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by chope
    Isn't Ted Sundquist our GM???? What gives.
    Our GM is Shanny Sunquist and they do a remarkable job IMO. All teams have busts but Shanny Sunquist may just be the best at getting value for garbage.

Middlebrooks-Engelberger (solid backup)
    Deltha-DJ Williams (Deltha was in last year of deal)
    CP wants out- We get Champ and a 2nd rounder
    He gets Warren for a 4th round pick (tremendous value)
    RD- EE and Meyers (once again very good value)
    Gets an early third and a 4th rounder for Lelie (basically late 2nd round value)
    Foster and Bell in last year of deal- Get a top 20 CB in last year of deal.

This is why we are in or just miss the playoffs every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    Kind of cool, IMO, that Foxworth is the best player on that list.

Colquitt is very good too, even though he's a punter.

Barber is a good short yardage back, same with Jacobs.

jerome mathis was good enough to go to the pro bowl as a returner so don't count him out

Quote Originally Posted by chope
    Isn't Ted Sundquist our GM???? What gives.
    Ted Sundquist is Shanahan's yes man. Think Paul Shaffer to Shanahan's Dave Letterman.

That's NOT how most other teams in the NFL handle things, but Shanahan has a lifetime contract and ultimate power over all things Denver Broncos. He has the most power of any coach or GM in the league.

That hasn't always worked out well either.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic
    I could easily look over that pick, only if it wasn't for the countless other boneheaded moves Shanahan and company made on draft day.

How do you screw up an entire draft?
    Silk, weren't D-Will, Foxworth, Paymah, and Myers selected in the same draft?

-----

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe

-----
    Yes they were, and that same draft also included Ernster.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2005

The only thing that can stop the ninja.
    Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBroncLove
    Yes they were, and that same draft also included Ernster.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2005
    Yes, I thought of him after I posted.

Silky's one of my bestest friends here, but I just couldn't let that one slide.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by ydave77
    Well 32 teams passed on Barber a few times, before his name got called. But thats neither here nor there.

My point really is that I dont think Clarett was any worse of a pick than half the picks made right near him. Yes a couple were good like Barber, but most were throw-a-ways. The Clarett pick was actually relatively low risk-hi reward. If you remember the guy was an absolute beast his freshman yr. He certainly had an attitude problem, but Shanny evidently felt he had superstar potential. So throwing away the 101st pick to try to land a superstar doesnt seem like a horrible move.
    Again most of the picks made near there were just as bad. There were 30 picks I listed there, most of them bad, bringing up a few good picks, doesnt change the fact that most GMs made bad picks, not just Shanny!

I hope more people read this now cuz I made it orange, cuz its exactly why he was picked: in the third round every player has questions. if the question is attitude but he has the potential to become a superstar it isnt a throwaway, cuz say the clarrett pick panned out for a team right behind us, we would be kickin ourselves for PASSING ON HIM
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

did anyone see on the nfl combine coverage when steve mariucci talked about how they put clarrett on the board and had him draw up some plays and mariucci was very impressed with his knowledge of plays and of football. he said they don't normally do that to a rb, but that he impressed them greatly by doing so.

clarrett obviously had talent, if he had football smarts, thats a plus. using a third rounder on him didn't seem like a huge risk because of his potential.

everyone went, "really?" when they heard that pick, but no one could deny clarrett's upside at the time. retrospect is 20/20
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...24/smaller.jpg

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
    We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever.

My Adopt-a-Crustacean is Lobster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank24
    did anyone see on the nfl combine coverage when steve mariucci talked about how they put clarrett on the board and had him draw up some plays and mariucci was very impressed with his knowledge of plays and of football. he said they don't normally do that to a rb, but that he impressed them greatly by doing so.

clarrett obviously had talent, if he had football smarts, thats a plus. using a third rounder on him didn't seem like a huge risk because of his potential.

everyone went, "really?" when they heard that pick, but no one could deny clarrett's upside at the time. retrospect is 20/20
    It would have been one thing if he would have been selected in the 5th Rd or lower but the 3rd was way too high especially when you consider they had signed Dayne also.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe

-----
    Yes. That was one of Shanahan's better drafts, and a very good draft straight up.

I remember that draft. When PaymahFoxworth (whomever the 3rd CB was) called I was infuriorated with all the CB's. And then he drafted Clarett which sent me over the edge. Even with the Clarett pick, it was still a great draft and proved me wrong.

The draft I was referring too was the infamous 2003 draft. Ugh.

1 20 George Foster T Georgia
    2 51 Terry Pierce OLB Kansas State
    4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
    4 114 Nick Eason DE Clemson
    4 128 Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
    5 157 Ben Claxton G Mississippi
    5 158 Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
    6 194 Aaron Hunt DE Texas Tech
    7 227 Clint Mitchell DE Florida
    7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

The draft 2 years ago has already paid off greatly, and with a future oline coming into the mix(Myers) it will be stellar with solid picks top to bottm.

The draft last year is still up for future judgement, but it's already looking to be an even better draft with star quality.

For as critical as I am of Shanahan/Denver's drafting history, I will also point out that 1 or 2 more very good drafts will show that Denver has learned from previous drafting mistakes, and taking the higher road. I can't say anything bad about the overall drafts from the last 2 years, but anytime were talking about Shanahan drafting history overall, I must throw out Clarett.

When that happens, I will then criticize myself, and jump back on the drafting bandwagon.

nobody good in that drraft i guess Foster was good but not nearly first round good
    http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8765/broncosxh4.gif
    RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    If you're joking, it really wasn't very funny. (Darrent Williams)

No, I think he means he is not sure whether Paymah or Foxworth was the third CB picked in that draft.

Quote Originally Posted by lex
    No, I think he means he is not sure whether Paymah or Foxworth was the third CB picked in that draft.
    Oooohhhh...my bad....I deleted it.

Sorry Silk, and thanks lex!

Bobby Turner has coached for the Broncos since 1995

Quote Originally Posted by lex
    Turner, the RB coach, who also coached Clarett at Ohio State, recommended him. Shanahan is ultimately responsible for making selections and it was a monumentally poor pick (we had Anderson, Bell and had recently signed Dayne) but Turner should not have let loyalty affect who he suggests. And Shanahan shouldnt have been looking to take a RB let alone Clarett with that pick. Denver had just selected 3 CBs in a row (which turned out to be shrewed) and then they picked a 4th string RB.

???Your saying Bobby Turner coached the biggest draft joke in Broncos history when he was at OSU?

How exactly?

Btw thread starter, Maurice Clarett is a BUST! Plain and simple, imo. A third round pick that never saw the field before he was cut.....That is a bust, imo.

It's a fricking joke, is what it is! And it's all on Shanahan.....Again! Although I do seem to remember something about Turners endorsement.
    Last edited by stnzed; 03-18-2007 at 04:55 PM.