Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by lex
    It would have been one thing if he would have been selected in the 5th Rd or lower but the 3rd was way too high especially when you consider they had signed Dayne also.
    we picked clarett with the 101st pick in the draft. we didn't pick again until 200. even with his character issues, there is no way he would have fallen to our next pick. shanny saw something in him, turner backed him up, and obviously there's somethign that other coaches were impressed with also (mariucci at least). it might have been a reach, but that was the only way we were going to get him.

it was a questionable pick, that def turned into a bust, but i can see why shanny thought it had a chance to work out great.

if clarrett would have just played another year, kept his head straight, he would have a been a top back in the 2005 draft and a lot of you on here would probably really want to take him.

shanny thought he could overcome clarrett's character, but it turned out he was beyond help.

i agree with the TC that this shouldn't be used as a reason to say shanny is a bad gm, because everyone takes risks, and a risk wouldn't be a risk if they always payed off.
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...24/smaller.jpg

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."
    We all Miss you D-Will and Damien. RIP Broncos forever.

My Adopt-a-Crustacean is Lobster!!!

I really liked this thread

its cool to see some players on there that I knew and some that fell off the face of the earth.

But I dont know whats so bad about Clarett

he was the BIGGEST Name in those 30 picks

Quote Originally Posted by JayCutler4MVP!!!

he was the BIGGEST Name in those 30 picks
    that's another point. we didn't all know the name maurice clarrett just because of his legal battles. we knew his name before that because of his great playing ability.

when a name like that drops to the 3rd, why not take a chance on him?

i have already seen a lot of people this season advocating the broncos taking a chance on marcus thomas in the 3rd round this year despite his character and drug issues... if we pick him and he turns out to be a bust, are the same people who said that shanny should take the chance on him going to make threads about how bad of a gm he is for doing so?
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=89012

"Don't let anyone say you can't do anything. Look what Dee achieved in 24 years."

would anyone have taken Lendale white last year if he would have dropped to #101 overall?? I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank24
    that's another point. we didn't all know the name maurice clarrett just because of his legal battles. we knew his name before that because of his great playing ability.

when a name like that drops to the 3rd, why not take a chance on him?

i have already seen a lot of people this season advocating the broncos taking a chance on marcus thomas in the 3rd round this year despite his character and drug issues... if we pick him and he turns out to be a bust, are the same people who said that shanny should take the chance on him going to make threads about how bad of a gm he is for doing so?
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=89012
    Exactly!
    glad someone saw what I was saying

I was actually happy we got Maurice

IMO getting a big name player seems cool. When we drafted Foxy and Paymah and stuff I didnt really know anything about them. I knew a lot about Clarett drops to us it sure sounded good to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic
    Yes. That was one of Shanahan's better drafts, and a very good draft straight up.

I remember that draft. When PaymahFoxworth (whomever the 3rd CB was) called I was infuriorated with all the CB's. And then he drafted Clarett which sent me over the edge. Even with the Clarett pick, it was still a great draft and proved me wrong.

The draft I was referring too was the infamous 2003 draft. Ugh.

1 20 George Foster T Georgia
    2 51 Terry Pierce OLB Kansas State
    4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
    4 114 Nick Eason DE Clemson
    4 128 Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
    5 157 Ben Claxton G Mississippi
    5 158 Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
    6 194 Aaron Hunt DE Texas Tech
    7 227 Clint Mitchell DE Florida
    7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

The draft 2 years ago has already paid off greatly, and with a future oline coming into the mix(Myers) it will be stellar with solid picks top to bottm.

The draft last year is still up for future judgement, but it's already looking to be an even better draft with star quality.

For as critical as I am of Shanahan/Denver's drafting history, I will also point out that 1 or 2 more very good drafts will show that Denver has learned from previous drafting mistakes, and taking the higher road. I can't say anything bad about the overall drafts from the last 2 years, but anytime were talking about Shanahan drafting history overall, I must throw out Clarett.

When that happens, I will then criticize myself, and jump back on the drafting bandwagon.

Well, that is what a risk is. Clarett was a risk; Shanny knew it, you knew it, I knew
    it, and so did everyone else with reasonable intelligence. The thing about it was,
    Clarett had awesome physical talent. But then, so what? So did Ryan Leaf, right?

I have been critical of Shanny's DAFTing (as JR puts it) record, too. However, as
    you pointed out, it looks pretty good the last couple years, Clarett notwithstanding.
    If Shanny does it a third year in a row, I will back off and admit that apparently the
    FO has learned, as you suggested.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic
    Yes. That was one of Shanahan's better drafts, and a very good draft straight up.

I remember that draft. When PaymahFoxworth (whomever the 3rd CB was) called I was infuriorated with all the CB's. And then he drafted Clarett which sent me over the edge. Even with the Clarett pick, it was still a great draft and proved me wrong.

The draft I was referring too was the infamous 2003 draft. Ugh.

1 20 George Foster T Georgia
    2 51 Terry Pierce OLB Kansas State
    4 108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
    4 114 Nick Eason DE Clemson
    4 128 Bryant McNeal DE Clemson
    5 157 Ben Claxton G Mississippi
    5 158 Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
    6 194 Aaron Hunt DE Texas Tech
    7 227 Clint Mitchell DE Florida
    7 235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

The draft 2 years ago has already paid off greatly, and with a future oline coming into the mix(Myers) it will be stellar with solid picks top to bottm.

The draft last year is still up for future judgement, but it's already looking to be an even better draft with star quality.

For as critical as I am of Shanahan/Denver's drafting history, I will also point out that 1 or 2 more very good drafts will show that Denver has learned from previous drafting mistakes, and taking the higher road. I can't say anything bad about the overall drafts from the last 2 years, but anytime were talking about Shanahan drafting history overall, I must throw out Clarett.

When that happens, I will then criticize myself, and jump back on the drafting bandwagon.

Hell 2002, 2003 and 2004 were pretty horrible. While Clinton Portis was a nice pick we have only ONE measley starter on our team right now from that 3 year span. That's a good way to set a franchise back.

2005 and 2006 looks solid so far. Hopefully we can make it 3 in a row.
    You've got to know when to sack em...

we picked clarett with the 101st pick in the draft. we didn't pick again until 200. even with his character issues, there is no way he would have fallen to our next pick. shanny saw something in him, turner backed him up, and obviously there's somethign that other coaches were impressed with also (mariucci at least). it might have been a reach, but that was the only way we were going to get him.

it was a questionable pick, that def turned into a bust, but i can see why shanny thought it had a chance to work out great.

if clarrett would have just played another year, kept his head straight, he would have a been a top back in the 2005 draft and a lot of you on here would probably really want to take him.

shanny thought he could overcome clarrett's character, but it turned out he was beyond help.

i agree with the TC that this shouldn't be used as a reason to say shanny is a bad gm, because everyone takes risks, and a risk wouldn't be a risk if they always payed off.
    Why exactly did we need Clarett so bad that we had to reach to get him? If he's there later, great. If not, so what? He was big risk anyway.

Turner and Shanahan's ego were the main reasons for the pick. You look at Marion Barber III now in Dallas, who was available at that selection, and that's who I was hoping for. Actually in that year, I had Marion going to us on that very selection. Nice job Shanahan.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Well, that is what a risk is. Clarett was a risk; Shanny knew it, you knew it, I knew
    it, and so did everyone else with reasonable intelligence. The thing about it was,
    Clarett had awesome physical talent. But then, so what? So did Ryan Leaf, right?

I have been critical of Shanny's DAFTing (as JR puts it) record, too. However, as
    you pointed out, it looks pretty good the last couple years, Clarett notwithstanding.
    If Shanny does it a third year in a row, I will back off and admit that apparently the
    FO has learned, as you suggested.-----
    I'd have to say I agree. :wave:

If Shanahan grabs a good DE in the first and a DT in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, and they pan out, then we can all relax every time draft day comes around instead of wondering whether they are going to grab a Terry Pierce or Darius Watts in the 2nd round again!

You can usually tell when Shanahan is reaching desparately for a player. All the commentators then say that "most teams had that guy as a 4th or 5th round talent, but I guess the Broncos rated him a little higher." If your team does that consistently it's not a good sign. While the house can be wrong, that's not the way to bet consistently.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

During the draft shows on N.F.L. Network (just a month or so ago), the show was interviewing Steve Marriuchi (sp) and he said that they held a personal interview with Clarett (when he was still with the Lions) and Steve asked Maurice to draw up his favorite play on a whiteboard, to see how Maurice would react....

Steve said that beyond QB's, no other players were ever too familiar with drawing up plays because they are responsible for their block, route, blitz pickup, etc.

Anyways, Maurice went on to draw up his favorite play and he even switched it up to show what responsiblities he would have had if the opposing defense would have blitzed on the play....

Needless to say, Marriuchi went on to say after Maurice drew up those plays, it was the most impressed Steve had ever been with a rookie following an interview....

So, although the Clarett pick blew up in Shanny face, numerous teams were very impressed with Maurice, so, if it wouldn't have been the Broncos, another team would have gotten burned just the same....

Also, Maurice is the cocky S.O.B. that insisted on signing an incentive ladden contract with lots of escalators written in, he turned down any chance of guaranteed money, so although we blew a pick, at least it wasn't an expensive one

Quote Originally Posted by lex
    Why exactly did we need Clarett so bad that we had to reach to get him? If he's there later, great. If not, so what? He was big risk anyway.
    you don't even know how much we reached to get him. if we take barber, who's to say that the cowboys don't take clarrett right after?

as tr3y backed me up, teams were impressed with his knowledge of the game and his natural abilities. the only risk was his character, and we've all seen that a change of situation or the added responsibilities of football becoming your job can do wonders for a persons attitude.

if clarrett was humble and patient, he would have been a first round back. every pick is a risk, and as has been said, every player taken in the 3rd round has issues of some sort.

this thread is a pointless discussion, and i have to pee..

this thread is a pointless discussion, and i have to pee..
    Good luck with that

who cares about Clarett we got him for nothing and it wasnt a waste! he is doing better now and staying out of trouble lmao!!!! in jail!!! ha ha ha Clarett! your an idiot! he wasnt taken first round so to call him a big bust is retarded. ryan leaf was a bust!!! we payed clarett nothing so we didnt miss much!!!!!
    GO ANGELS!!!!!!! signed torii hunter!!!

[
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...in40oz/rpg.jpg

denver will go 7-9 this year and 12-4 next year and a 14-2 the following year and superbowl appearance by 2010