Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ted Ginn Jr

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonic
    I think it's safe to say that nobody knows what kind of WR he will be in the NFL. Players come in and do significantly better in the NFL than they do in college. Some players do significantly worse. You're opinion of what player he will be is fine.

But the fact in the situation is he has explosive ability that not alot of players have in the NFL, or college. That's akways going to get noticed.
    This is very true and may be true for Ginn. However from the evaluations I have read on Ginn he needs a lot of work on running precise routes.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/ginn_ted
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by ballen
    Ok, whether he's hurt or not isn't important. He runs poor routes other than a fly(Ashley lelie), and he doesn't even have good hands. He wasn't even the best WR on his team. The point of my earlier arguemnet was that he compared Ginn to Desmond Howard and Peter Warrick. You don't spend a first round pick on Peter Warrick. You don's spend a first round pick on a kick returner. Especially when you have no 1st string calliber DE. For what Ginn brings to the table we could easily get a punt returner in the later rounds.
    Why do people act like route running is a skill that cannot be honed with continued development? Where is that written? Or overall technique for that matter? Of course you don't spend a first round pick on a purely developmental prospect (Jordan Kent, for example), but Ginn has more "right away" impact ability than most give him credit for IMO, because of his freakish athletic ability.

I'm not saying that Ginn is an overly polished prospect, but I believe one could argue that Ginn could have an impact similar to that of Bernard Berrian (or Troy Williamson, hands included) over the early stages of his career, while excelling as a returner and continuing his development.

Ginn does have good hands, as evidenced by his short-route receiving abilities. He can catch-and-run or make difficult downfield receptions.

He was the best receiver on his team (superior statistics and impact), and he's twice the NFL prospect that Gonzalez is.

I'm sure we could find a returner in the late rounds, but chances are he wouldn't amount to jack squat, and he sure as heck wouldn't have Ginn's world class athleticism.

Simply put, I believe that Ginn has the ability to be an NFL returner comparable to Devin Hester, etc. Now, put a few years of experience at the receiver position on top of that (at a premier program), and you have a package worthy of a first round pick IMO.

If there's no viable option at a greater position of need available at pick 21, why not gamble on a guy who could vault your return unit to elite status and become a premier vertical threat? It's not like those aren't useful qualities, or desirable attributes.

1. Branch
    2. Moss
    3. Ginn

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    This is very true and may be true for Ginn. However from the evaluations I have read on Ginn he needs a lot of work on running precise routes.

All he has to do to be an effective nfl player is learn how to consistently beat the jam and learn how to consistently separate on slants or crossing routes, IMO (even "consistently" may be pushing it).

His one-of-a-kind physical ability will make-up for the rest...

I simply do not believe that Ginn needs to be molded into a Holt/Harrison type receiver. Route running definitely does not have to be his forte.
    Last edited by WABronco; 04-06-2007 at 07:22 PM.

I quit................. I just hope we don't draft him.
    What is this the Bengals message board.

Peter Warrick?

Quote Originally Posted by ballen
    I quit................. I just hope we don't draft him.
    What is this the Bengals message board.

Peter Warrick?
    If the great majority of your argument is based off Peter Warrick, maybe it is time to pack it up.

I don't know how much of an impact Ginn will make as a WR if any, but if you look at the Bears and Devin Hester, don't tell me i guy who gets you good field position and maybe a couple of TD's isn't worth it. Hester showed just how imp. a great return man is.

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Why do people act like route running is a skill that cannot be honed with continued development? Where is that written? Or overall technique for that matter? Of course you don't spend a first round pick on a purely developmental prospect (Jordan Kent, for example), but Ginn has more "right away" impact ability than most give him credit for IMO, because of his freakish athletic ability.

I'm not saying that Ginn is an overly polished prospect, but I believe one could argue that Ginn could have an impact similar to that of Bernard Berrian (or Troy Williamson, hands included) over the early stages of his career, while excelling as a returner and continuing his development.

Ginn does have good hands, as evidenced by his short-route receiving abilities. He can catch-and-run or make difficult downfield receptions.

He was the best receiver on his team (superior statistics and impact), and he's twice the NFL prospect that Gonzalez is.

I'm sure we could find a returner in the late rounds, but chances are he wouldn't amount to jack squat, and he sure as heck wouldn't have Ginn's world class athleticism.

Simply put, I believe that Ginn has the ability to be an NFL returner comparable to Devin Hester, etc. Now, put a few years of experience at the receiver position on top of that (at a premier program), and you have a package worthy of a first round pick IMO.

If there's no viable option at a greater position of need available at pick 21, why not gamble on a guy who could vault your return unit to elite status and become a premier vertical threat? It's not like those aren't useful qualities, or desirable attributes.

1. Branch
    2. Moss
    3. Ginn
    I agree with you WA Bronco,I dont care how we win the game I just want to win.Lets sign as many playmakers as possible.

Teams would fear us in kick offs if Ginn was back there.

Another thing we all forget,we were without Ferguson,Brandan,and AL Wilson .Just getin these guys back from injury is gonna improve our defense.Then adding Bly,which is an upgrade at the other corner position will be a big improvement.Also players will be let go June 1st,so we can address our defense when that occurs.

As far as the draft is concerned these DL will have to learn the ropes,remember the rookies are going up against veteran players and all pro linemen,so they will struggle coming into the league.

I see Ginn really making an impact if we draft him,especially on special teams.

If we where going for a receiver I would never pick Ginn. His stock is to high and I don't see him being a good receiver for at least a few years. He doesn't run good routes and he only relied on his speed in college. He can't do that in the pro's. He is very small and none of the games that I watched did he make difficult catches. He may be a great return man, but there is no point in spending a first on a returner that won't help out anywhere else when we already have one of those on the team.

Hixon was real good in college at returning and I think we should give him a chance and see what he can do. Especially now that we have a real good special teams coach to teach him.

Quote Originally Posted by jhns
    If we where going for a receiver I would never pick Ginn. His stock is to high and I don't see him being a good receiver for at least a few years. He doesn't run good routes and he only relied on his speed in college. He can't do that in the pro's. He is very small and none of the games that I watched did he make difficult catches. He may be a great return man, but there is no point in spending a first on a returner that won't help out anywhere else when we already have one of those on the team.

Hixon was real good in college at returning and I think we should give him a chance and see what he can do. Especially now that we have a real good special teams coach to teach him.
    Shanny chose a first rounder with Darrant Williams as a returner,so why not Ginn,I think Ginn could really turn the tables for us back there as a returner.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse
    Dead last in avg starting field position last year + Young QB w/Big Big arm

Ginn, although I compare him to Peter Warrick/Desmond Howard, would fill a need immediately in the return game giving Cutler some room to work his arm and Shanny some room to uncork the offense.

Cutler's arm would compliment Ginns speed and would almost certainly require D coverage on deep routes - yes, if needed use him as a decoy to draw coverage ala Lelie. Ginn posseses much more speed and field awareness than Ashley did plus he adds a dynamic return game that could lead to some crazy field position.

Has decent size although I doubt he'll ever be a possession receiver for us seeing that we have Javon and Brandon for the future. Great #3, after he plays #4 to Rod.
    Shanny and Bowlen was so obsessed with bringing Lelie back,I wouldn't be surprised if he drafted Ginn.We could have Ashley Lelie and Darrant Williams all packed in one.
    Last edited by BroncoSexyDaddy; 04-07-2007 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC

Yes. Lucky for him, route running is one of the easiest transitions to make, and easiest things to coach, about the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
    I don't think Ginn is right for the Broncos but WHAT?

Ginn = Ohio State offense
    great point. Ballen you don't really know what your talking about man. You don't wanbt to base things and opinions off of stats because they don't tell the whole story. Did you even watch Ohio State this year? Ginn's stats might not be as good, but that's because people were keying on him more which freed up Gonzalez. Plus look at the impact Ginn had on defenses and how much they had to pay attention to him as a deep threat and most of the time it didn't work. Even if he didn't do anything, which he did most of the time, he kept the DBs back a little more because he is so fast and you don't wanna come too close because he will burn you deep and once he's past you there is no catching up. Once he left the NC game their whole offense changed. Florida was able to stay up in the box and key on Gonzalez and the underneath stuff because without a guy to burn them deep the safeties satyed up more. Because of that too our running game wasn't as effecctive.

If youj watched the games the announcers would talk about the duo of the two and defenses keying on Ginn more and would have to watch out because Gonzalez was there too. Because of the dynamic threat of Ginn and underneath ability of Gonzalez teams had to worry about both and had to pick and choose their poision. But when one goes out the defense has less to worry about and it makes their job easier. Ginn was definetly a game changer showed by that play in the NC game and just his overall deep threat.

I heard somewhere he ran a 4.1 40 yard dash too. I went to an Ohio State camp a couple years back after his Freshman year and we saw a highlight film in the 'Shoe and when he was in it and scoring TDs no one was with him. He stood out to me becausehe would run away from people and no one else was in the picture. That fact that he is such an athelete and his speed and overall potential is enough to make him a first rounder because as silkamonic said roiute running is easy to learn and once he learns how to do that, there is no telling what he can do.

Trust me I watched every Ohio State game this year and Ginn was HUGE to our team and sure gave them a lift. I only wish he had played in the NC game and maybe he would have made more of a difference. I just would like to have seen what the team I saw throughout the year could have done, not part of it with a huge piece missing.

Ginn is a playmaker mark my words.
    Last edited by DenverBuckeye; 04-07-2007 at 08:46 AM.
    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3...eyesig3ba6.jpg

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
    I don't think Ginn is right for the Broncos but WHAT?

Ginn = Ohio State offense
    And that comment just proves you didnt watch the OSU/Michigan game......or any other game at that

Ginn had 781 YARDS ON OFFENSE!

That is one PITIFUL offense if that was the only target

Ginn-781 Yards receiving
    Gonzalez-734 yards receiving

Antonio Pittman-1233 Yards rushing, 127 yards receiving
    Chris Wells-576 yards rushing

SO, lets do the math here

Ohio State had 2208 yards receiving.
    Minus 781 yards from Ginn.

Whattaya get? 1427 yards

Ohio State had 4999 yards total
    Minus 781 from Ginn

You get, 4218

To say Ginn "Was Ohio States offense" Is totally totally wrong, his receiving yards compared to other "Top Notch Wide Receivers" in this draft are PITIFUL

Only reason i see in drafting him would be for Special Teams

Quote Originally Posted by str8jacket
    To say Ginn "Was Ohio States offense" Is totally totally wrong, his receiving yards compared to other "Top Notch Wide Receivers" in this draft are PITIFUL.
    And that means what? Playing for a conservative offense, where the passing offense was virtually split between two players, makes him less of a prospect?

Only reason i see in drafting him would be for Special Teams.
    You don't think he's shown himself to be at least a competent receiver? If it's all about the stats, we should hold out for Joel Filani or some guy from New Mexico State that I've never heard of (we could probably get them too, in the UDFA period).

Meachem played for Tennessee, CJ had twice the amount of receptions as the no. 2, Jarret and Smith split the yardage on an explosive offense, Craig Davis and Bowe split at LSU...

Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    And that means what? Playing for a conservative offense, where the passing offense was virtually split between two players, makes him less of a prospect?

You don't think he's shown himself to be at least a competent receiver? If it's all about the stats, we should hold out for Joel Filani or some guy from New Mexico State that I've never heard of (we could probably get them too, in the UDFA period).

Meachem played for Tennessee, CJ had twice the amount of receptions as the no. 2, Jarret and Smith split the yardage on an explosive offense, Craig Davis and Bowe split at LSU...
    And your point is what?

Everyone is talking as if Ginn was the type of guy that was the only receiver at Ohio State and put up Amazing numbers. I do NOT think he has shown himself to be a competent reciever, in the games that I watched, he was not physical enough to break his defenders, sure he has the amazing speed. I just never thought he was able to produce with being double teamed, or having a defender in his face.

To me, Ginn is going to be another Ashlie Lelie.

Great speed, poor route running ability and less than great hands