Maybe OL and Pass Rush not as bad as we think? ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Broncosinindy
    Thunder God
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by omac
    I was looking for stats for sacks allowed, which I guess is kind of a measure on how well our OL protects the QB, and sacks, which is kind of an indicator of the effectivity of our pass rush, and I found these links ....

And stats-wise for the season, at least, we don't look too bad.

In sacks allowed, were ranked 12, just slightly behind New England and San Diego, while in sacks, were ranked 13, just slightly behind the Bears. Unfortunately, the stats aren't specific per game, but they also give the stats for the last 3 and 6 games played.

I know there are lots of considerations, but maybe we're not as weak in those areas as we think ....

What do you all think?
    You know i was frustrated with larry coyer the last two years.. but after i sat down compared stats. and looked at what he had to play with. i felt bad he might have had gotten a bad rap i was looking at something on a message board on the browns site.. ill see if i can dig it up
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

• omac
      Special Teams
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Broncosinindy
      You know i was frustrated with larry coyer the last two years.. but after i sat down compared stats. and looked at what he had to play with. i felt bad he might have had gotten a bad rap i was looking at something on a message board on the browns site.. ill see if i can dig it up
      Groovy! But I really don't like the bend-not-break defense. I think just the change in defensive scheme by Bates should have an immediate impact on putting pressure on the QB.

Comment

• Hoserman117
        Pwnin' Nubz
        • Dec 2006

I dunno. In my mind 31 sacks allowed is terrible. We need to allow 20 or less.

And sacks, while it isn't terrible, we need 45+

I may have high expectations, but this is a championship caliber team. And we need high expectations.

Comment

• Archimedes Owl
          Captain
          • Aug 2005

Presuming that Lepsis returns, we'll be better on the offensive line.

Last year and the year before, even with Foster and Carlysle, we were third in the league in fewest sacks allowed.

Now, I understand that we will have more of a pocket passer in Cutler than we had in Jake, but Lepsis has shown that he can handle the best pass rushers in the league with underrated consistency.

If Lepsis returns to full form, I am confident that our right side will be better than it has been in years past.

Now, I'm not saying that our offensive line couldn't possibly use some improvement and that drafting some protege's wouldn't be a bad idea, but it isn't the concern that so many make it out to be.

On the other hand, our defensive line is still a huge weakness. Last year we were dead last in the league in sacks per pass attempt faced by a wide, wide margin.

The pass rush has been a problem for awhile now, but that's not all. Our defensive line hasn't exactly been stout against the run either. We've been average, but nothing more.

When you have a defense with good linebackers, a good secondary and a poor defensive line, improving the defensive line will make a huge difference.

I really think that defensive line is the place where we can improve our team the most. I'm surprised that anybody would call that into question. It is by far our biggest weakness.
          My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
          . Post Your Artwork .
          . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• ErnieNovember
            Practice Squad
            • Sep 2004

Foster talked to the press, thats why he was no good for the team!

Comment

• SteelBronco
              Practice Squad
              • Apr 2005

Sacks are good and all, but we need pressure EVERY PLAY. We need to rush the QB up and scare him. Otherwise we get a sack here and there but who cares, when we are losing ballgames.

Comment

• tdnmecudawon3
                Practice Squad
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by CarolinaPanther
                I think you never watched the games where the opposing QB had 5-7 seconds to throw the ball and eat breakfast, while Jay and even Jake had 2-3 seconds because of the blindside rusher coming from Foster's side.
                Both plummer and cutler are right handed so a rusher coming from fosters side is not the blindside.

Comment

• omac
                  Special Teams
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Hoserman117
                  I dunno. In my mind 31 sacks allowed is terrible. We need to allow 20 or less.

And sacks, while it isn't terrible, we need 45+

I may have high expectations, but this is a championship caliber team. And we need high expectations.
                  Whow, those are pretty high expectations, we'd be ranked 3 and 5 for those categories. With the salary cap and weak draft possitions, I'm not sure a consistently winning team like Denver can assemble a team that's a powerhouse on both sides of the ball.

San Diego has consistently had pretty good possitions in the draft to build their powerful, well balanced team. But Denver doesn't have that luxury.

The anomaly is Baltimore. Though not as much as Denver, they're a consistently winning team, yet their sacks allowed and sacks made are ranked 2 and 1.

Comment

• stnzed
                    Banned User
                    • Oct 2005

Here is a stat for ya....Demata Peko had 2 sacks against this offensive line last year. (He was actually in on 3 sacks. He got a half a sack on two of those)

He looked like the next Warren Sapp.....He's not the next Warren Sapp!

Pass protection...Up-grade! It's hard to be a pocket passer when there is no pocket.

Comment

• omac
                      Special Teams
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
                      Presuming that Lepsis returns, we'll be better on the offensive line.

Last year and the year before, even with Foster and Carlysle, we were third in the league in fewest sacks allowed.

Now, I understand that we will have more of a pocket passer in Cutler than we had in Jake, but Lepsis has shown that he can handle the best pass rushers in the league with underrated consistency.

If Lepsis returns to full form, I am confident that our right side will be better than it has been in years past.

Now, I'm not saying that our offensive line couldn't possibly use some improvement and that drafting some protege's wouldn't be a bad idea, but it isn't the concern that so many make it out to be.

On the other hand, our defensive line is still a huge weakness. Last year we were dead last in the league in sacks per pass attempt faced by a wide, wide margin.

The pass rush has been a problem for awhile now, but that's not all. Our defensive line hasn't exactly been stout against the run either. We've been average, but nothing more.

When you have a defense with good linebackers, a good secondary and a poor defensive line, improving the defensive line will make a huge difference.

I really think that defensive line is the place where we can improve our team the most. I'm surprised that anybody would call that into question. It is by far our biggest weakness.
                      How many, or which of the 4 would we have to replace? Do we become much better if we replace one with a real playmaker?

Comment

• omac
                        Special Teams
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by stnzed
                        Here is a stat for ya....Demata Peko had 2 sacks against this offensive line last year. (He was actually in on 3 sacks. He got a half a sack on two of those)

He looked like the next Warren Sapp.....He's not the next Warren Sapp!

Pass protection...Up-grade! It's hard to be a pocket passer when there is no pocket.
                        Hmmm ... did you ever think that maybe Warren Sapp was the previous Demata Peko? j/k

Comment

• stnzed
                          Banned User
                          • Oct 2005

Hmmm ... did you ever think that maybe Warren Sapp was the previous Demata Peko? j/k

No! ......

Comment

• omac
                            Special Teams
                            • Jan 2007

Oh, Archimedes Owl mentioned that we were previously ranked 3rd two years in a row in sacks allowed, so maybe it was just the injury to Lepsis. But you're right, with Jay being more of a pocket passer, the line will have to work extra hard to protect him. I sure hope they had fun in their outing.

Comment

• stnzed
                              Banned User
                              • Oct 2005

Oh, Archimedes Owl mentioned that we were previously ranked 3rd two years in a row in sacks allowed, so maybe it was just the injury to Lepsis. But you're right, with Jay being more of a pocket passer, the line will have to work extra hard to protect him. I sure hope they had fun in their outing.

The injury to Lepsis had to have a lot to do with it, didn't it?

But I also think that the guards are weak and an eventual replacement for Lepsis is needed.

Comment

• omac
                                Special Teams
                                • Jan 2007

Yeah, I agree that we need to think about the future. We can't go downhill after winning this coming season's superbowl.

Comment

Working...
                                X