Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Broncos Targeting Adam Carriker!

Well, this IS interesting. The Post reports that the Broncos are targeting Adam Carriker with their #1 pick. Their backup pick is reportedly DE Anthony Spencer of Purdue. LINK

49ers could dictate Denver pick

It appears the 49ers are looking at Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker for their top pick. That will interest Denver, which is studying the lineman known for his pass-rushing skills and high motor. If Carriker is gone, Denver, which has the No. 21 pick, could zone in on Purdue defensive end Anthony Spencer, a pass rusher on the rise.

It will be interesting to see if Mississippi inside linebacker Patrick Willis lasts until the 49ers' pick at No. 11. If so, they likely will take him. Detroit also is interested in trading down from No. 2 and taking Willis.
    This tells us a number of things. First, it tends to confirm the mocks I've seen with the 49ers taking Carriker. As of now, the Broncos would need to trade up to #10 to be sure of Carriker, which could explain their interest in the Redskins #6 pick (although at #6 they could also consider either Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson or Okoye too).

More importantly, this is the first real indication I've seen that Denver is targeting a DL with their #1 pick. That would explain Shanahan's attempts to get extra picks he could use to move up the draft board into the top 10. He would be looking to draft one of the top three or four DL: Anderson, Adams, Carriker or Okoye, none of whom would probably be available at #12.

It also appears more likely that Denver will take a DE in the first than a DT (either Okoye if the Broncos managed to get into the top 10) or Alan Branch who has reportedly been slipping down the boards and could conceivably be available at #21 (although I doubt it). After all Denver tried to sign Patrick Kerney and now has been reportedly looking at Carriker. I'd say their interest in a DE is serious at this point.

Patrick Willis has been rising up the boards and is now considered the best LB in the draft. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. Last year A.J. Hawk went at #5. In 2005 DeMarcus Ware went #11, just ahead of Merriman. So, it's about a 50-50 chance that a player like Willis would be taken in the top 10.

But, I am encouraged to see that Shanahan is possibly serious about getting some DL help this draft! :wave:
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-08-2007 at 12:35 PM.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

So this in all likelihood means we won't be going after Adam which sucks a bit.

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    Well, this IS interesting. The Post reports that the Broncos are targeting Adam Carriker with their #1 pick. Their backup pick is reportedly DE Anthony Spencer of Perdue. LINK

This tells us a number of things. First, it tends to confirm the mocks I've seen with the 49ers taking Carriker. As of now, the Broncos would need to trade up to #10 to be sure of Carriker, which could explain their interest in the Redskins #6 pick (although at #6 they could also consider either Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson or Okoye too).

More importantly, this is the first real indication I've seen that Denver is targeting a DL with their #1 pick. That would explain Shanahan's attempts to get extra picks he could use to move up the draft board into the top 10. He would be looking to draft one of the top three or four DL: Anderson, Adams, Carriker or Okoye, none of whom would probably be available at #12.

Patrick Willis has been rising up the boards and is now considered the best LB in the draft. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. Last year A.J. Hawk went at #5. In 2005 DeMarcus Ware went #11, just ahead of Merriman. So, it's about a 50-50 chance that a player like Willis would be taken in the top 10.

But, I am encouraged to see that Shanahan is possibly serious about getting some DL help this draft! :wave:
    Last year Shanny "was rumored" to really like TE Vernon Davis and tried moving up to get him (I'm personally glad they got Cutler) but the 49ers took him.

Then, the 49ers knocked Denver out of the playoffs.

Now, the 49ers might take Carriker, who Denver is "rumored" to be targeting.

-Add all of this together and I'm really starting to loathe that franchise!

ps....good post!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipes7
    Last year Shanny "was rumored" to really like TE Vernon Davis and tried moving up to get him (I'm personally glad they got Cutler) but the 49ers took him.

Then, the 49ers knocked Denver out of the playoffs.

Now, the 49ers might take Carriker, who Denver is "rumored" to be targeting.

-Add all of this together and I'm really starting to loathe that franchise!

ps....good post!
    You should loathe them for Super Bowl XXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by rc50cal
    You should loathe them for Super Bowl XXIV.
    You just had to pick that 55 point scab.......didn't you?

Well, this IS interesting. The Post reports that the Broncos are targeting Adam Carriker with their #1 pick. Their backup pick is reportedly DE Anthony Spencer of Perdue. LINK

It also appears more likely that Denver will take a DE in the first than a DT (either Okoye if the Broncos managed to get into the top 10) or Alan Branch who has reportedly been slipping down the boards and could conceivably be available at #21 (although I doubt it). After all Denver tried to sign Patrick Kerney and now has been reportedly looking at Carriker. I'd say their interest in a DE is serious at this point.

Two words... Smoke Screen.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Thanks for the update. You made some great points in pointing some things out. I however also believe this means little about who we may draft. There are so many rumors going around out there because this is such a hectic time and teams are targeting players and trieing to figure out who others in front might draft so they can get a player they want. So when someone says one thing it becomes news and then a rumor and has people believeing something that isn't true.

I do believe if we don't trade up that we will get the best d-linemen available at our pick be it Spencer Moss or Branch.
    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3...eyesig3ba6.jpg

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

I'm not buying it. Last year it was Chad Jackson, this year it's Adam Carriker, watch us wind up with Ben Grubbs.

I do not doubt that Adam Carriker is a target of ours, but the hole within this statement is that if San Francisco likes Carriker that much, why are they going to trade down 21 spots, miss out on every other good player for their team, and miss out on a lock-down 3-4 end.

They're not going to.

Denver has to move PAST them, not trade with them to move up. If they like him that much, Denver would have to give them one hell of an offer they couldn't refuse.

Please, no to Carriker. He's grossly overrated by everyone on the boards, and now that he timed well, he's the cat's meow. Better as a 3-4 fit, and I've been saying that all along. Please, NO. He's a good prospect in his own right, but not worth giving multiple picks over. NOOOOOOOOOO.
    Last edited by Dream; 04-08-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    I'm not buying it. Last year it was Chad Jackson, this year it's Adam Carriker, watch us wind up with Ben Grubbs.

I do not doubt that Adam Carriker is a target of ours, but the hole within this statement is that if San Francisco likes Carriker that much, why are they going to trade down 21 spots, miss out on every other good player for their team, and miss out on a lock-down 3-4 end.

They're not going to.

Denver has to move PAST them, not trade with them to move up. If they like him that much, Denver would have to give them one hell of an offer they couldn't refuse.

Please, no to Carriker. He's grossly overrated by everyone on the boards, and now that he timed well, he's the cat's meow. Better as a 3-4 fit, and I've been saying that all along. Please, NO. He's a good prospect in his own right, but not worth giving multiple picks over. NOOOOOOOOOO.
    If he somehow falls to 21, I would hope that we pick him. If the 49ers snag Willis, and other teams pass on Adam its possible though not likely he lasts. I know he is an ideal 3-4 end, but I think he can 4-3 end and even move inside on pash rushing downs if need be. We went after a high motor end this offseason and lost the bidding war. Getting Carriker, a younger and more athletic end than Kerney with that same crazy motor and less money than we would have paid to Kerney, would be ideal IMO.

Talking

hah. . . he's like trevor pryce with a non-stop motor-- he's going to be a great pro. . . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Please draft Carriker, SF, please.

He's a better DE for a 3-4 anyways, IMHO.

They're not going to.

Obviously, the Broncos would have to trade up to at least #10 and get in front of the 49ers. Alternatively, they could take Willis, which would mean that Carriker was still on the board at #12, so they could conceivably make a trade with Buffalo and wind up getting him.

Last year, Denver talked to every team in the top 10 without any success at all. NONE would discuss trading their pick. Shanahan said "obviously we couldn't talk to San Francisco about trading up to grab their guy" (meaning Vernon Davis). It's the same thing this year. Obviously, if Denver is targeting Carriker, they can't discuss a trade with the '49ers! "Give us your pick so we can take your guy" just isn't going to work!

That means Denver would probably be better off either trading up to #6 or so and having a choice of three of the top 4 DL (Gaines Adams might already be off the board at #5 or possibly Jamaal Anderson).

My guess is that they won't be able to trade up at all and will have to settle for either Charles Johnson or Anthony Spencer. Moss might be a better option from what people are saying about him, but apparently he'll be off the board to Pittsburgh by #16.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Obviously, the Broncos would have to trade up to at least #10 and get in front of the 49ers. Alternatively, they could take Willis, which would mean that Carriker was still on the board at #12, so they could conceivably make a trade with Buffalo and wind up getting him.

Last year, Denver talked to every team in the top 10 without any success at all. NONE would discuss trading their pick. Shanahan said "obviously we couldn't talk to San Francisco about trading up to grab their guy" (meaning Vernon Davis). It's the same thing this year. Obviously, if Denver is targeting Carriker, they can't discuss a trade with the '49ers! "Give us your pick so we can take your guy" just isn't going to work!

That means Denver would probably be better off either trading up to #6 or so and having a choice of three of the top 4 DL (Gaines Adams might already be off the board at #5 or possibly Jamaal Anderson).

My guess is that they won't be able to trade up at all and will have to settle for either Charles Johnson or Anthony Spencer. Moss might be a better option from what people are saying about him, but apparently he'll be off the board to Pittsburgh by #16.

I would really hope we dont take Johnson as honestly I do not think he will be much better than Moses or any of them would be in the second or even third round.

Carriker is not the pass rusher we need.

Honestly I wouldn't consider drafting Spencer as settling for sloppy seconds. The report I read makes me think he could be a very good fit in Denver.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16