Threaded View

Broncos Targeting Adam Carriker!

Well, this IS interesting. The Post reports that the Broncos are targeting Adam Carriker with their #1 pick. Their backup pick is reportedly DE Anthony Spencer of Purdue. LINK

49ers could dictate Denver pick

It appears the 49ers are looking at Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker for their top pick. That will interest Denver, which is studying the lineman known for his pass-rushing skills and high motor. If Carriker is gone, Denver, which has the No. 21 pick, could zone in on Purdue defensive end Anthony Spencer, a pass rusher on the rise.

It will be interesting to see if Mississippi inside linebacker Patrick Willis lasts until the 49ers' pick at No. 11. If so, they likely will take him. Detroit also is interested in trading down from No. 2 and taking Willis.
    This tells us a number of things. First, it tends to confirm the mocks I've seen with the 49ers taking Carriker. As of now, the Broncos would need to trade up to #10 to be sure of Carriker, which could explain their interest in the Redskins #6 pick (although at #6 they could also consider either Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson or Okoye too).

More importantly, this is the first real indication I've seen that Denver is targeting a DL with their #1 pick. That would explain Shanahan's attempts to get extra picks he could use to move up the draft board into the top 10. He would be looking to draft one of the top three or four DL: Anderson, Adams, Carriker or Okoye, none of whom would probably be available at #12.

It also appears more likely that Denver will take a DE in the first than a DT (either Okoye if the Broncos managed to get into the top 10) or Alan Branch who has reportedly been slipping down the boards and could conceivably be available at #21 (although I doubt it). After all Denver tried to sign Patrick Kerney and now has been reportedly looking at Carriker. I'd say their interest in a DE is serious at this point.

Patrick Willis has been rising up the boards and is now considered the best LB in the draft. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. Last year A.J. Hawk went at #5. In 2005 DeMarcus Ware went #11, just ahead of Merriman. So, it's about a 50-50 chance that a player like Willis would be taken in the top 10.

But, I am encouraged to see that Shanahan is possibly serious about getting some DL help this draft! :wave:
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-08-2007 at 12:35 PM.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg