Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    IMO, if we want to move up, the guy we should be targeting (realistically) is Branch. That's it.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    IMO, if we want to move up, the guy we should be targeting (realistically) is Branch. That's it.

    Uh.. no thanks lol.. I like Branch if he falls but I would not mind us jus taking a tier two end in round two or three and nabbing Staley if he makes it past the Giants

    Branch has a high bust potential, and what he brings to the table can be grabbed from someone like Paul Soliai in a later round (who is in the NT Bates DT typa size) the only thing Paul doesn't have is he isn't nearly as experienced... but if we grab him in round 3 or our second we would still be able to grab someone else like Staley in 1

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In your dreams, crushing them!!!
    Posts
    15,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    Well, this IS interesting. The Post reports that the Broncos are targeting Adam Carriker with their #1 pick. Their backup pick is reportedly DE Anthony Spencer of Purdue. LINK



    This tells us a number of things. First, it tends to confirm the mocks I've seen with the 49ers taking Carriker. As of now, the Broncos would need to trade up to #10 to be sure of Carriker, which could explain their interest in the Redskins #6 pick (although at #6 they could also consider either Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson or Okoye too).

    More importantly, this is the first real indication I've seen that Denver is targeting a DL with their #1 pick. That would explain Shanahan's attempts to get extra picks he could use to move up the draft board into the top 10. He would be looking to draft one of the top three or four DL: Anderson, Adams, Carriker or Okoye, none of whom would probably be available at #12.

    It also appears more likely that Denver will take a DE in the first than a DT (either Okoye if the Broncos managed to get into the top 10) or Alan Branch who has reportedly been slipping down the boards and could conceivably be available at #21 (although I doubt it). After all Denver tried to sign Patrick Kerney and now has been reportedly looking at Carriker. I'd say their interest in a DE is serious at this point.

    Patrick Willis has been rising up the boards and is now considered the best LB in the draft. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. Last year A.J. Hawk went at #5. In 2005 DeMarcus Ware went #11, just ahead of Merriman. So, it's about a 50-50 chance that a player like Willis would be taken in the top 10.

    But, I am encouraged to see that Shanahan is possibly serious about getting some DL help this draft! :wave:
    WEll I did pick him for my GPA draft.

    Worked out fine for Tony Scheffler.
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter




    formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

    I have been adopted by Chris Wade


  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342
    Quote Originally Posted by JoRo
    Uh.. no thanks lol.. I like Branch if he falls but I would not mind us jus taking a tier two end in round two or three and nabbing Staley if he makes it past the Giants

    Branch has a high bust potential, and what he brings to the table can be grabbed from someone like Paul Soliai in a later round (who is in the NT Bates DT typa size) the only thing Paul doesn't have is he isn't nearly as experienced... but if we grab him in round 3 or our second we would still be able to grab someone else like Staley in 1
    Branch offers unmatched size and movement skills. Get him in a rotation (like we use), and he gives you a dominant, two-way interior presence.

    Soliai doesn't bring the same package.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    Branch offers unmatched size and movement skills. Get him in a rotation (like we use), and he gives you a dominant, two-way interior presence.

    Soliai doesn't bring the same package.

    How can you say that? I aint saying your wrong but I would like some reason why he doesnt

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    1,120
    Oh damn.

    So we heard about how we're interested in Adam Carriker so everyone scratch him off of your draft boards.

    Nobody knew we were eyeing Cutler

    Nobody knew we were going to go after 3 cornerbacks

    Nobody knew we were going after D.J. Williams

    *sigh*

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    13,489
    Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedthenerd
    Oh damn.

    So we heard about how we're interested in Adam Carriker so everyone scratch him off of your draft boards.

    Nobody knew we were eyeing Cutler

    Nobody knew we were going to go after 3 cornerbacks

    Nobody knew we were going after D.J. Williams

    *sigh*
    If I understand your post correctly, I am thinking along the same lines.

    I would not be surprised now that the FO isn't the least bit interested in Carriker.

    -----

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    Well the FO said after the draft they had targeted Davis.... and lots of people thought we would be taking DJ back in the day

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,034
    ur right... it'll definately be a surprise whoever we get.... just watch... trade up to #3 and takin brady quinn... just watch...
    2013 Packers GM - Check my profile for trade block and draft picks.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by skate_d3
    ur right... it'll definately be a surprise whoever we get.... just watch... trade up to #3 and takin brady quinn... just watch...
    We're gonna run a 2 QB offense. WHOOOO!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedthenerd
    We're gonna run a 2 QB offense. WHOOOO!

    There was actually a convo back in the day about Van Pelt and Plummer....

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,034
    gross......
    2013 Packers GM - Check my profile for trade block and draft picks.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    8,342

    Because I....can

    Quote Originally Posted by JoRo
    How can you say that? I aint saying your wrong but I would like some reason why he doesnt
    I do not think he has the quickness or range that Branch shows. He may possess comparable size and strength, but he doesn't have the complete package that Branch does. He's not even close in the pass rushing department.

    The only negative that can be found in Branch's game is his motor. Even then, a lot of that talk is overrated due to the fact that Branch was a 3-down player at Michigan and barely rotated out.

    Borrowed quote: "There's a running fallacy in football scouting that assumes that plus sized men can go all out, when even small tackles can't play every down."

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    L.A./ Vanity Land
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    Not at all! Normally, you'd be right, but not here!

    Drafting in the top 10 is NOT at all like drafting out of the top 10. In the top 10 every team interviews every player and talks to every other team about trades, because virtually all the teams are targeting the same players. There is a general consensus on who the top 10-12 players are. A certain player might fall a bit because the top 10 teams don't need that particular position, but over all the top talent at QB, RB, DE, DT, OT, or WR get taken in the top 10. An elite player from S, CB or LB might slip into the mix as well, but generally the top 10 players are all well known.

    It's virtually impossible to fool the other teams about who you might be targeting by moving into the top 10. If Denver moves up everybody in the league will know they are targeting a DL and there are only 4 guys they might possibly consider: Gaines Adams, Adam Carriker, Jamaal Anderson and Okoye, not necessarily in that order. Who they might take would depend on who was available whenever they picked.

    So, if Denver managed a to pull off a trade with the Falcons for their #8 pick and moved up on draft day, all the other GMs would inmmediately know "Shanahan is moving up for Carriker." They will know who's on the board and they know the Broncos draft needs and they would instantly know without having to be told exactly what is happening. (This hypothetical assumes that the other top DL are off the board). Sure, surprises happen, but not so much in the top 10 as elsewhere in the draft, because there is general consensus on who the top 10 players are (maybe 12 or 13 of them).

    But, since Carriker will be off the board by #11 it doesn't matter much if other teams know the Broncos are interested in him. They are interested in him too. IF for some reason Carriker slid past the 49ers then a bunch of other teams between 11 and 21 would step in and take him because he'd be the "best player available."

    See how that works? If a player who is a consensus top 10 talent starts to slide down the board because teams unexpectedly take other players, then the teams that would target him, but thought he would be gone by the time they picked suddenly get interested. Furthermore, a team that wouldn't necessarily want a DE with their pick would have to consider taking him because he's the best player available and a value at that point in the draft.

    Just as, if Calvin Johson somehow falls to #4 or #5, the Bucs and and Cardinals would at least have to consider taking him or else trading their pick to another team that wanted him in order to maximize the value of their draft position.

    Whatever player Shanny is interested in, he will not be spoken to and have no clue that Denver is scouting him. Shanny's scouting reports and draft hopes are under more security then Fort Knox!

    The sheer fact that Carriker is named makes me think he wants absolutely nothing to do with him.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    4,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT
    Whatever player Shanny is interested in, he will not be spoken to and have no clue that Denver is scouting him. Shanny's scouting reports and draft hopes are under more security then Fort Knox!

    The sheer fact that Carriker is named makes me think he wants absolutely nothing to do with him.

    people way overdo it with the "shanny wont talk to a prospect he wants" thing... he has done it, but he won't always do it or it will always be taht easy to see and also: he wont have any idea about who he is interested in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •