Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WABronco
    I do not think he has the quickness or range that Branch shows. He may possess comparable size and strength, but he doesn't have the complete package that Branch does. He's not even close in the pass rushing department.

The only negative that can be found in Branch's game is his motor. Even then, a lot of that talk is overrated due to the fact that Branch was a 3-down player at Michigan and barely rotated out.

Borrowed quote: "There's a running fallacy in football scouting that assumes that plus sized men can go all out, when even small tackles can't play every down."
    Solid stuff WA....

I also think the talk on Branch's motor is overrblown. Rotate him with McKinley and next to whats hopefully a revitalized Gerard Warren and we could be strong up the middle once again.

If your weak at DT, I really don't think we have a chance no matter who we have at DE. Both need to be addressed no doubt, but I'm much more comfortable with Branch and a DE in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (we'll probably get 2 better overall players that way).
    You've got to know when to sack em...

Well, Well, Well...

Thr cream always rises to the top, as my prediction of Anthony Spencer is doing now....

Eventually the rest of you will catch up to how good he is

Smoke screen....smoke screen. This is the same talk last year about moving up to get Vernon Davis. I remember reading the article that Shanny was convinced the night before the draft that he was taking one of the 3 QBs, davis wasn't even a thought. If we move up to 10 don't be suprised if we take Levi Brown or Joe Staley. Carriker doesn't even fit in with the Bates system anyway.

It probably means we are not targeting not only carriker, but any d-linemen. this is for sure a smoke screen, I just cant believe you all are falling for it again......then again maybe its a smoke screen that its a smoke screen! and shanny thinks that by putting carrikers name out there other teams will think we dont want him because we said we want him and shanny will turn around and pick him suprising everyone! genius! and confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Dream
    I'm not buying it. Last year it was Chad Jackson, this year it's Adam Carriker, watch us wind up with Ben Grubbs.

I do not doubt that Adam Carriker is a target of ours, but the hole within this statement is that if San Francisco likes Carriker that much, why are they going to trade down 21 spots, miss out on every other good player for their team, and miss out on a lock-down 3-4 end.

They're not going to.

Denver has to move PAST them, not trade with them to move up. If they like him that much, Denver would have to give them one hell of an offer they couldn't refuse.
    Sorry dream, but where in the article does it mention that the two teams would "trade" picks? Or that SF would "trade down 21 spots"?

Or are you just reading into it?

As for Carriker, I see him more in the mold of Brown, a LDE, but he could also be like Pryce was, and play inside. He's got the size, plus above average speed.

I honestly don't know about him, after his supposed BIG YEAR that didn't happen last year.

But he could be no worse than the DLinemen Shanny's drafted in the last 10yrs......
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

10 bucks says we take anything but a safety or defensive linemen with our first pick in 3 weeks.

I'm telling you right now, it's either going to be a RB, WR, or an offensive linemen. I'm serious too, sarcasm aside.

I can just imagine it, and I bet a lot of you could too, we move up to pick #15 lets say... Carriker, Spencer, Branch, Griffin, and Nelson are all on the board, then boom, we shock the world and take Ted Ginn, Marshawn Lynch, or Justin Blalock, we all go "What the...?", then come July all we hear about is how Ginn, Lynch, or Blalock is doing so well in training camp, we all get excited, they play 3 years in Denver, get noted as a bust and then we complain on how we passed up on someone like Carriker, Spencer, Branch, Griffin, and Nelson.

However, then Shanny pulls one of his magic tricks and trades for one of those 5 guys anyway and we live happy ever after.

Oh, or we could just do the most logical thing and take a DE, but I don't see that happening, not in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    My guess is that they won't be able to trade up at all and will have to settle for either Charles Johnson or Anthony Spencer. Moss might be a better option from what people are saying about him, but apparently he'll be off the board to Pittsburgh by #16.

Honestly I wouldn't consider drafting Spencer as settling for sloppy seconds. The report I read makes me think he could be a very good fit in Denver.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak
    Sorry dream, but where in the article does it mention that the two teams would "trade" picks? Or that SF would "trade down 21 spots"?

As for Carriker, I see him more in the mold of Brown, a LDE, but he could also be like Pryce was, and play inside. He's got the size, plus above average speed.

I honestly don't know about him, after his supposed BIG YEAR that didn't happen last year.

But he could be no worse than the DLinemen Shanny's drafted in the last 10yrs......
    Then how else are the Broncos supposed to get him away from SF. Either trade a spot to get ahead or trade picks with them. It's pretty clear that if want Carriker, we would have to move no matter what. At this point, I'm happy where we are selecting. There's no need to move up unless a player like Anderson, CJ, or Okoye fall past the 10-15 range. I like Carriker, but moving up for him is not logical. There's a lot of DE in this year's draft who go in later rounds who can end up being better than all these big name DE's. Such as Spencer, Moses, Crowder, Abirami and more. 1st round talent doesn't always mean production, espically true when it comes to DE. I think that this is just a smoke screen so we can nab someone else like Meachem, Jarrett, Ginn, a CB, a Saftey, or a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by kratos_godofwar
    Then how else are the Broncos supposed to get him away from SF. Either trade a spot to get ahead or trade picks with them. It's pretty clear that if want Carriker, we would have to move no matter what. At this point, I'm happy where we are selecting. There's no need to move up unless a player like Anderson, CJ, or Okoye fall past the 10-15 range. I like Carriker, but moving up for him is not logical. There's a lot of DE in this year's draft who go in later rounds who can end up being better than all these big name DE's. Such as Spencer, Moses, Crowder, Abirami and more. 1st round talent doesn't always mean production, espically true when it comes to DE. I think that this is just a smoke screen so we can nab someone else like Meachem, Jarrett, Ginn, a CB, a Saftey, or a LB.
    By trading with someone AHEAD of them, maybe?

If it's apparent both teams are going for the same guy, as was the case last year, it's kinda hard to do a swap, right?

And if you're going to suggest a later round Dlineman is as good as a top tier'ed one, prepare to hear the differences from fellow broncomaniacs......
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT
    Two words... Smoke Screen.
    My thoughts exactly!

Shanahan is on record for saying that he never shows his hand when it comes to the draft. I don't remember the source, but he said that what happend with drafting Jay last year is what he likes to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak

Adam Carriker is likely to go in the top fifteen, and if San Francisco is truly interested in him - Denver would have to trade ahead of them - to the Texans, to even have a shot. Carriker will not be a Bronco unless they give up a good portion of their draft or work some miracle trades. It can happen, but I just don't want to see us waste most of our draft for a kid who has ideal measurables, whose play never really mirrored it in college. Sure, he's a good player - but he's also not the pass rushing threat we need.

Carriker only makes sense if Denver is seeking a more traditional line, rather than Bates' style with two pluggers and two rushers. Carriker is not a edge rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_Bronco
    My thoughts exactly!

Shanahan is on record for saying that he never shows his hand when it comes to the draft. I don't remember the source, but he said that what happend with drafting Jay last year is what he likes to do.

Same thing with DJ Williams. DJ said he never had any contact with the Broncos prior to the draft and was very suprised to be picked by us.

Must be Mistaken!

Shanahan has complete control over our picks in the draft. So there is no telling who else he is interested in. I mean he just doesnt put it out there like that. How many times have mock drafts been 100% wrong with Denver picks? So wrong that we didnt even know wich position he wa gonna target. I mean, all us Denver fans want safety help and some want RBs and WRs knowing darn well then Shanahan has complete faith in the run blocking system we use so doesnt care too much about taking RBs and WRs early. Were gonna probably play it safe with D-linemen that have size/speed and aren't being looked at by every other team.

This talk of players not knowing they were Broncos targets, is it realistic?

You would think that the coaches would want to meet with any player they were interested in drafting, especially someone in the first round who will cost big bucks.

I just canít imagine Cutler never speaking with the Broncos until after they drafted him
    [B]The All Blacks, the greatest team on the planet![/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1_puuceg0

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    If I understand your post correctly, I am thinking along the same lines.

I would not be surprised now that the FO isn't the least bit interested in Carriker.

-----
    There was article written just recently that talked about how Shanahan is willing to throw out a red herring to throw the competition off of who he really is interested in.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16