Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,082

    Brenston Buckner for Defensive coach of something?

    Gruden just fired the guy that completely turned around his terrible defense from 2018 to 2019. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the staff. Obviously that's probably not going to happen, but talented people very rarely make your team worse.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,238
    Gruden probably has someone in his sights.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    Gruden just fired the guy that completely turned around his terrible defense from 2018 to 2019. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the staff. Obviously that's probably not going to happen, but talented people very rarely make your team worse.
    Denver already has a d-line coach who's considered one of the best in the business. So I don't really see an opening. I would also add that if Buckner was responsible for turning their defense around, why are the Raiders firing him? Obviously there's likely more to it. He will be moving to his 4th team in 4 seasons.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Gruden probably has someone in his sights.

    They've already agreed to terms with Rod Marinelli. He was the Assistant Head Coach and D-line coach in Tampa for a big chunk of Gruden's time there, including the Super Bowl year. He was just the Cowboys DC and D-line coach.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    They've already agreed to terms with Rod Marinelli. He was the Assistant Head Coach and D-line coach in Tampa for a big chunk of Gruden's time there, including the Super Bowl year. He was just the Cowboys DC and D-line coach.
    Yes. He didn't fire Buckner because he didn't do a good job, he fired him because he wanted marinelli. And Marinelli was inconsistent in Dallas. This year was super shaky, worse in almost every category than last year.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    Yes. He didn't fire Buckner because he didn't do a good job, he fired him because he wanted marinelli. And Marinelli was inconsistent in Dallas. This year was super shaky, worse in almost every category than last year.
    But he still fired him, and you don't usually do that if you believe it's the person responsible for turning around your D, or at least making it better. But then again it is the Raiders, so who knows?

    As for Buckner in Denver, I would rather keep Bill Kollar, he's done a great job in Denver.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    13,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    But he still fired him, and you don't usually do that if you believe it's the person responsible for turning around your D, or at least making it better. But then again it is the Raiders, so who knows?

    As for Buckner in Denver, I would rather keep Bill Kollar, he's done a great job in Denver.
    I heard a radio segment where Derek Wolfe was saying he would be all ears to any Denver offers but at this point in his career he has to take advantage of the performance he has just put fourth and the 2019 season.

    Kollar and Fangio will not only get Derek Wolfe paid but Shelby Harris will get a pretty hefty pay day because of them as well.

    I donít know what happened to Gotsis but all of Denver interior healthy linemen did a pretty fantastic job of stopping the run and rushing the passer later in the season! Iíd say we need to keep Fangio and Kollar together.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I heard a radio segment where Derek Wolfe was saying he would be all ears to any Denver offers but at this point in his career he has to take advantage of the performance he has just put fourth and the 2019 season.

    Kollar and Fangio will not only get Derek Wolfe paid but Shelby Harris will get a pretty hefty pay day because of them as well.

    I don’t know what happened to Gotsis but all of Denver interior healthy linemen did a pretty fantastic job of stopping the run and rushing the passer later in the season! I’d say we need to keep Fangio and Kollar together.
    Fully agree. Kollar is now on his 3rd DC/HC combo in Denver, and with all 3 he has coached the d-line up to be pretty good if not great from year to year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    13,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Fully agree. Kollar is now on his 3rd DC/HC combo in Denver, and with all 3 he has coached the d-line up to be pretty good if not great from year to year.
    What you say is true.

    Kollar needs to be recognized by the franchise for this but letís hope no outside party takes him into consideration. I can understand the decision to allow Wade Phillips to go and hiring Fangio more than made up for it in my opinion.

    John Elways defensive units have been so much better than the team record has indicated the last four seasons and a big reason for that is Bill Kollar. Reggie Herring deserves some recognition as well but Kollar has been superb and I hope he remains a Bronco for years to come!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-17-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •