Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 113
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,648
    Quote Originally Posted by lex
    Guys, Mayock is a hypocrit. He had Meriweather higher than Nelson. If you want character issues, look no further than Meriweather....plus Nelson is probably better even without the character issues (though Mayock likes M'weathers cover skills..but w/e). Unbelievable! The Patriots who are often lauded for getting character guys and over two days they get Randy Moss and Meriweather and Mayock likes it, yet when Denver gets Thomas in the 4th Rd, he questions it.
    I think the fact that Thomas was suspended from the team twice in his senior year and wasn't even allowed on campus to participate in the Pro day has them consider Thomas' character issues a bit more severe than some others.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,301
    Quote Originally Posted by mxbronco13
    On the NFL Network Mike Mayock just said he thinks we made a terrible pick in moving up to select Marcus Thomas and he is confused as to why Shanahan would base this whole draft on players with no character. He brought up Maurice Clarrett as well.

    I say we made a great move and we have the organization to keep our new talented and potential-thriving DL in line.

    The dude is paid to make snap judemental decisions. Every annoucer has been waiting all day to do this to some team with all the Pacman stuff coming about.

    I think he has a point.

    Also I saw the Shanny press conference and I totally understand why they drafted Moss the way they did.

    I think they put the same kind of thought in drafting Thomas considering what they gave up.

    I hope they have a plan in place on getting these guys help on how to live life as a NFL player. It may take a hard football type person in their life or it may take a more "life coach" type person. I think every team should have this kind of support system actually and I think the NFL feels teams should have this support system as well.

    Only time will tell if we bit off more then we can chew or we have a good plan.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Columbia, S.C.
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by aberdien
    Prove him wrong.
    .....Again

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    You stalker.
    Posts
    10,977
    Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx
    Mayock was not the only one blown away. Pretty much everyone on ESPN as well. Although we did fill the needed holes, we gave up too much.

    I really hope our rookies prove me wrong.
    Wrong. Everyone on ESPN loved the pick.

    For those of you who actually care what the "experts" think, I thought you should know that.


  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    930
    I see the new NFL character policy differently. Most experts were saying that character issues would play a larger role in draft decisons. I think the opposite is true because in the past a lot of these players would take chances knowing that the NFL would tolerate it. Now that the new rules are in place these guys would have to be complete idiots to risk anything.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    330
    I can almost certainly guarantee that Thomas's contract will have a clause addressing his character issues. We know that Shanny likes to take risks, and hopefully he learned something from the whole Clarrett debacle.

    I would hope that Thomas wants to come in and prove himself, and hopefully having Moss on board will help to keep him on the straight and narrow.

    I understand why people are concerned about this pick. It could blow up in our faces just like Clarrett. Then when you add what we just traded for him will only make it worse if it does.

    But, this guy is the one guy I really wanted Denver to draft this year. Strange how that actually happened. . .

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac99
    i dont think marcus thomas was an ideal pick at this position because he has some major off-field problems
    And what are those problems? Please list them...
    Denvers Draft=C-

    Upgraded to a B after the Marcus Thomas pick!!!!!

    We finally addressed the DT posistion!!!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Aspen Highlands
    Posts
    2,649
    It's a 4th round pick.

    If it works out fine, if it doesn't, no huge loss.

    The fact that the Bronco's are doing what it takes to fix the d-line is what is impressing the hell out of me.

    The man has talent but he needs alot of help upstairs.

    If he doesn't change his core beliefs and values he will repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

    I would get this guy a life coach ASAP.

    I wish him well.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    Wrong. Everyone on ESPN loved the pick.

    For those of you who actually care what the "experts" think, I thought you should know that.
    The Sirius NFL Radio guys seemed to like the pick. they said they interviewed Thomas and believe he seemed real contrite and sincere in his statement that he understood what he did wrong and that there was a real good chance he wouldn't repeat it. They said if it wasn't for the suspensions this year, he would have been the number one DT in the draft.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    930
    I am not sure but I think he only tested positive one time, and was kicked off the team because he would not attend re-hab as he did not feel that he had a problem.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    639
    FIRE SHANAHAN! How dare he waste valuable 3rd, 6th, and 7th round picks! We could have had FIRST YEAR hall of famers! Wow, this guy has no clue what he is doing! Fire him, he is the worst head coach and drafter in NFL History!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14,751
    You should include his reasons of why he's not happy with the pick.

    He has off the field issues. He was banned from Florida's Pro Day. He has issues with teamates and he was twice suspended by Florida.

    Denver gave up the rest of their draft plus next year's third round selection for the guy.

    The guy has major character issues. This Matt Mayock doesn't like the pick because he reminds him of Maurice Clarett and his problems and I agree with him. This guy has major, major character issues and should he screw up like Clarett did, do you really want to lose a 5th, 6th, 7th and 3rd round pick for the guy?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    You stalker.
    Posts
    10,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
    You should include his reasons of why he's not happy with the pick.

    He has off the field issues. He was banned from Florida's Pro Day. He has issues with teamates and he was twice suspended by Florida.

    Denver gave up the rest of their draft plus next year's third round selection for the guy.

    The guy has major character issues. This Matt Mayock doesn't like the pick because he reminds him of Maurice Clarett and his problems and I agree with him. This guy has major, major character issues and should he screw up like Clarett did, do you really want to lose a 5th, 6th, 7th and 3rd round pick for the guy?
    Actually its a 6th, 7th, and 3rd, but I get your point.


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
    You should include his reasons of why he's not happy with the pick.

    He has off the field issues. He was banned from Florida's Pro Day. He has issues with teamates and he was twice suspended by Florida.

    Denver gave up the rest of their draft plus next year's third round selection for the guy.

    The guy has major character issues. This Matt Mayock doesn't like the pick because he reminds him of Maurice Clarett and his problems and I agree with him. This guy has major, major character issues and should he screw up like Clarett did, do you really want to lose a 5th, 6th, 7th and 3rd round pick for the guy?
    Exactly. He was BANNED from Florida's Pro Day. Does that not raise flags to anyone? Mayock is one of the better draft guru's, the guy knows his stuff. Trying to use his lisp as a reason to say he has no credit? That's pretty lame. Not a bad pick, gave up too much for it. From an outsider's prospective
    Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.

    It is men who endure toil and dare danger that achieve glorious deeds, and it is a wonderful thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,248
    Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    I think the fact that Thomas was suspended from the team twice in his senior year and wasn't even allowed on campus to participate in the Pro day has them consider Thomas' character issues a bit more severe than some others.
    Yeah...Smoking a joint is much worse that stomping on someone's head and shooting at someone else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •