Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Glad to see he's a man about it. It was a very good letter. Glad he's on our side.

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Nice find. It actually sounds like he wrote it too, not somebody else. I'm glad he manned up.

Quote Originally Posted by lex
    guys who know about the effects of the date rape drug. Very informative.
    I noticed that as well.......
    Denvers Draft=C-

Upgraded to a B after the Marcus Thomas pick!!!!!

We finally addressed the DT posistion!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    What this comes down to is a talented player who got caught up in the absurd hypocritical "war on drugs" that has invaded College football and the NFL. Marijuana is NOT a performance enhancing drug, far from it.

The guy got stoned at a party one summer and he's thrown off the team because of some waffling back and forth by team and collegiate officials.

I just hope he learned that the bureaucrats who run the NFL can't be bothered by little things like justice or fairness or any remote sense of proportion. He has to stay clean throughout his NFL career, and it sounds like he understands that.
    I dunno. I think we're in trouble if he uses excuses like these. I hope he just faces the fact that he screwed up, realizes how much is at stake, and grows up enough to leave that past behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel
    What this comes down to is a talented player who got caught up in the absurd hypocritical "war on drugs" that has invaded College football and the NFL. Marijuana is NOT a performance enhancing drug, far from it.

The guy got stoned at a party one summer and he's thrown off the team because of some waffling back and forth by team and collegiate officials.

I just hope he learned that the bureaucrats who run the NFL can't be bothered by little things like justice or fairness or any remote sense of proportion. He has to stay clean throughout his NFL career, and it sounds like he understands that.
    That's the kind of mercy and compassion I like to see.

-----

We talking about the same player?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocrush4ever
    I dunno. I think we're in trouble if he uses excuses like these. I hope he just faces the fact that he screwed up, realizes how much is at stake, and grows up enough to leave that past behind him.
    Excuses like what? I saw no excuses. I saw a young man taking responsibility for his own actions.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Excuses like what? I saw no excuses. I saw a young man taking responsibility for his own actions.

-----
    Kindly read my post carefully before you reply. The excuses can be found in my quote from another poster....mentioning a "war on drugs" and college officials waffling etc. If you take more time, you'll see that we don't disagree.

Edit: The excuses to which I refer were put forth by Cugel, not Thomas. I agree that he does seem to take responsibility, but only he knows how he really feels about it all.
    Last edited by Ocrush4ever; 04-29-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator
    It's not about smoking the joint. It is about how he reacted to the suspension and restrictions placed on him after he broke the law and school rules.

In your defense of crimimal activity, some of you guys are missing the point.

So tned, what do you suggest? Maybe the guy should have been banned from football........I understand what you are saying about the criminal activity, but let me ask you this, have YOU ever broken the law? What about anyone you know or someone in your family? And remember this is a young man, and those years tend to be filled with adolescent behavior, and sometimes that leads to bad decision making.

It seems like this may be a case where he made a bad decision, was diciplined for it, and then didn't know how to deal with his discipline. That happens to alot of young people, and I don't think it is right to crucify this kid because he made a couple of mistakes. They weren't serious, but they had serious consequences, and he didn't understand that at the time, but now hopefully he does.

Maybe you should try giving the kid the benefit of the doubt instead of making him out to be such a bad person. If he were any other average kid (who didn't happen to be a high profile football player), then nobody would give a rats behind about what he did.

He made a series of poor decisions, it happens in life sometimes. I've done it, you've done it, we all have. It's life, and we should not be hippocrits and judge this kid........let's give him a chance!!

lets just hope he means it and its just not PR telling him to do it.

btw I think this is a stellar draft for us and a stellar pick. Lets hope this all pans out.

If that's the extent of it, I'm thrilled to have him on the team... Sounds like he made his mistakes and had to live with him, but I think it's great that he owned up to it. That takes a man... and it sounds like he doesn't want to have any more troubles, so welcome to the Broncos, Marcus!

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Amigo
    So tned, what do you suggest? Maybe the guy should have been banned from football........I understand what you are saying about the criminal activity, but let me ask you this, have YOU ever broken the law? What about anyone you know or someone in your family? And remember this is a young man, and those years tend to be filled with adolescent behavior, and sometimes that leads to bad decision making.

It seems like this may be a case where he made a bad decision, was diciplined for it, and then didn't know how to deal with his discipline. That happens to alot of young people, and I don't think it is right to crucify this kid because he made a couple of mistakes. They weren't serious, but they had serious consequences, and he didn't understand that at the time, but now hopefully he does.

Maybe you should try giving the kid the benefit of the doubt instead of making him out to be such a bad person. If he were any other average kid (who didn't happen to be a high profile football player), then nobody would give a rats behind about what he did.

He made a series of poor decisions, it happens in life sometimes. I've done it, you've done it, we all have. It's life, and we should not be hippocrits and judge this kid........let's give him a chance!!
    Your barking/attacking up the wrong tree, Amigo.

I don't think the guy should be banned from football. I am glad the Broncos drafted him.

The point I tried to make in this thread and others was that smoking the joint was only part of the problem. The main problem apparently came in when he broke the agreement that was made when they reduced his suspension.

A number of posters started to make this into a "pot shouldn't be legal, blah, blah" thread, when the reality is that it is only marginally about pot.

Maybe YOU should give other posters, such as myself, the benefit of the doubt and MAKE SURE you even know where the posters are coming from. I have no issue with Marcus Thomas. My issue/comments were had to do with people saying, "he smoked a joint, no big deal, it shouldn't even be illegal...."
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

It sounds to me as though he has taken the right steps to correct this. I hope he really is sincere, because the Broncos took a long shot on him. He has the talent, that's no doubt, but a screw up like this could have cost him his career. I can see why his family and everyone who was close to him were so ticked off when he went home. Having to camp out at his high school coaches place should have been an embrassement.

I like the pick. i just hope he does get his act together, puts this behind him, and makes himself into a franchise player for the Broncos. Bates and Company can make him into one of the best. It's up to him. It sounds like he has what it takes, I just hope he applies himself, and turns into what we ALL HOPE.

Marcus, welcome to the Broncos. Put your heart and soul into it. Work your backside off, and keep your nose clean, and show this team the thanks by becoming a ProBowler. You lucked into a team that is a contender, and wins because they work for it, and want it. We aren't a passive organization. The demands for you and your teammates are great. Denver, and the Intermountain West are good fans. Show us what you got, and learn as much as you can. GOOD LUCK. Were behind you.

Some almost sound like smoking pot should be mandatory. Great Idea!!!

I know, I know, my firewall gets a workout now... predictable...
    Somebody pressure the QB!!

I feel much, much better about this pick after reading this letter. If this guy is as mature as he sounds in this letter, it seems likely that all of this stuff is behind him and he's hopefully learned a lot from what happened. He might also feel like he has a lot to prove now in the NFL. This could end up being a good pick for us.

you guys do remeber that calvin johnson gaines adams and other very very good players admitted to smoking pot right? they just didnt get caught. We got the one guy in the draft that slipped much farther then he should have and we should care about that not about him smoking. I know that with the new rules if he gets tested and fails then he will be in deep %*#( But he knows that so if he choses to do it and gets caught then obviously football doesnt mean much to him but i think he will change his ways and be a great player. I actually think he has the most upside out of everyone we drafted and is right there with Okoye in terms of talent. Everyone thought Brady Quin was a steal at 22 well we just got a hell of a steal.