Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Honestly I had a bad cocaine addiction, but to quit you have to want to, I didn't use anything to quit but sheer determination to put that in my past.
    I really like Cheese.

Alcoholism has pretty well ravaged both sides of my family. My dad isn't an alcoholic, but he's a recovering meth addict (3 months without it) but pretty much all of the typical symptoms like paranoia and severe depression have followed. He is not good and I am not really confident that he will get better, but I hope so.

Good luck to those of you battling addiction, whether it be your addiction or that of a loved one.

This is the song I sorta relate to when it comes to drugs and such:

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Thank you for sharing. I know it's hard.

How are you doing? Have you sought help? Do you need it? There are many places out there that are for family members of addicts. I never did and I still have issues that come out of nowhere and surprise me.

Some books that have helped me:

Adult Children of Alcoholics by Woititz, Janet Geringer; After the Tears : Helping Adult Children of Alcoholics Heal their Childhood Trauma by Middelton-Moz, Jane

I know a guy who died last year from liver damage. He was 33. Very sad life.

You must see a lot of sad things. Thank you for what you do.
    I haven't gotten any treatment. I'm one of those people that really believes in mental strength. One thing I found that helps is just thinking good thoughts and not allowing yourself to sulk in bad ones. Same way that people tell themselves "I can do it" this approach works for me

I have an addiction to food.

After I got injured in like my freshman year of high school I basically let myself go. Ballooned up to 310 pounds in my sophomore/junior year in college and that is when I decided I needed to do something. Now I am at 176 thanks to exercise but most importantly watching what I eat.

It's just ridiculously hard to manage what I eat though because I use to be and still am a habitual eater. Meaning I don't really eat because I'm hungry but eat based on habits. Basically like a cigarette smoker who smokes after eating, before going into a building, etc.

Unlike other addictions you can't really just stop eating so it's a tough challenge to eat healthy and develop a healthy eating pattern.

You guys inspire me. If the state of IL deemed me fit to have a credit card, I'd be right back it
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    You guys inspire me. If the state of IL deemed me fit to have a credit card, I'd be right back it
    Well, if it helps you save money for more important things, it's a good thing that you don't/can't have a credit card.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Well, if it helps you save money for more important things, it's a good thing that you don't/can't have a credit card.
    Oh, I know. I think that the main reason that I chose my particular addiction is because when I was growing up, compliments were few and far between. My nurses, brother, and chat site used to rip me apart on a daily basis. The only one who didn't was, of course, my mother. So I chose an addiction where I would get compliments on a daily basis

Oh, I know. I think that the main reason that I chose my particular addiction is because when I was growing up, compliments were few and far between. My nurses, brother, and chat site used to rip me apart on a daily basis. The only one who didn't was, of course, my mother. So I chose an addiction where I would get compliments on a daily basis
    We would just rather you hang out here and have fun with us!

Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by one_bad_55 View Post
    We would just rather you hang out here and have fun with us!
    This was long before I used my common sense (what I have of it) and located this sight

This was long before I used my common sense (what I have of it) and located this sight
    We are glad to have you here, HUMCALC.
    Married to the most amazing member on this board Broncoholic JS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoth View Post
    I haven't gotten any treatment. I'm one of those people that really believes in mental strength. One thing I found that helps is just thinking good thoughts and not allowing yourself to sulk in bad ones. Same way that people tell themselves "I can do it" this approach works for me
    I'm glad that works for you. I never got help, either. It's just something we don't talk about, you know? I still read, try to understand why I am the way I am.

Quote Originally Posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
    I have an addiction to food.

After I got injured in like my freshman year of high school I basically let myself go. Ballooned up to 310 pounds in my sophomore/junior year in college and that is when I decided I needed to do something. Now I am at 176 thanks to exercise but most importantly watching what I eat.

It's just ridiculously hard to manage what I eat though because I use to be and still am a habitual eater. Meaning I don't really eat because I'm hungry but eat based on habits. Basically like a cigarette smoker who smokes after eating, before going into a building, etc.

Unlike other addictions you can't really just stop eating so it's a tough challenge to eat healthy and develop a healthy eating pattern.
    That's true. Control. Every minute, every day. Good for you for overcoming.

Do you think that your new, good habits will replace your old habits to the point that it won't be an addiction anymore?
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

That's true. Control. Every minute, every day. Good for you for overcoming.

Do you think that your new, good habits will replace your old habits to the point that it won't be an addiction anymore?
    Like in life you got to surround yourself with the good and take out all the bad. So instead of eating a crap ton of fries I would eat a crap ton of steamed veggies, and grilled chicken breast + rice instead of a burger. And etc etc for snacks, drinks, and all that.

The constant awareness of what is being put into the body is the most important part of it all and is something that I can never really get rid of if I want to stay fit and healthy. My biggest problem was just eating out of impulse whenever something tasty (yet unhealthy) was sitting right in front of me or the kitchen. Which was why the holidays this year was tough, especially when the huge drive and motivation to lose weight wasn't completely there like it was when I first lost all my weight.

So to answer your question I'd say no, it will always be a part of me. And because of that it's always going to be about the self awareness of what I put into my body and how much I put in there. It's tough but then again what in life isn't?