Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    why dont you all quit bashing it before a gameplan even comes out and wait to see and give it a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96
    why dont you all quit bashing it before a gameplan even comes out and wait to see and give it a chance?
    why? Why can't I give/offer My opinion on the idea of such a thing? I don't want to wait. I have an opinion now on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CutlerRules6

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!!
    why? Why can't I give/offer My opinion on the idea of such a thing? I don't want to wait. I have an opinion now on it.
    because your opinion now means absolutely nothing, thats why. you dont know what the rules will be like, when it will be held, what type of players will go to it etc. you are judging this one based on the performances of past attempts at another league, and thats just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by tsiguy96
    because your opinion now means absolutely nothing, thats why. you dont know what the rules will be like, when it will be held, what type of players will go to it etc. you are judging this one based on the performances of past attempts at another league, and thats just stupid.
    No. My opinion means just as much now as it will then. Perhaps my opinion will change, but considering the opinion I have, I don't see it changing at all. Opinions are facts, they are opinions. Opinions based on the given information, and thats the only information I'm giving an opinion on.

Also... just for discussions sake... since when is learning from past experiences and mistakes... stupid??

Don't be so quick to judge this type of transaction as it has succeeded before-afterall, I think it's in the fans best interests.

"As football became a favorite with Americans, many leagues soon followed the NFL in trying to establish their own franchise. The NFL's dominance was so pervasive that many did not even last beyond four years. Under millionaire Lamar Hunt, however, the American Football League (AFL) was the only lasting follow-up league that was able to keep up with the NFL. Soon thereafter, both leagues fought to draft star college players, television contracts, and other perks generated from football's popularity with the NFL often besting the AFL most of the time.

In another historic moment in football history, representatives from both the NFL and the AFL met in 1966 to agree on merging both leagues, but keeping the NFL name. Within the new league which actually began in 1970, two conferences were created that reflected the NFL's origins: the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference(NFC). From then on, those two sides of the NFL were to play its best teams in a championship game later named the Super Bowl starting with the champions from the NFL and the AFL. "

its pretty simple...
    you cant have enough talent to compeat with the NFL. People want to watch the best and the NFL has all the best players, coaches ect...
    its the same reason we dont watch the WNBA or MLS or Arena football, those leagues do not have the best players in those sports. MLS players wish they were all on European or south american teams but they arnt good enough and arena football players wish they were in NFL. same would be true for this new league it would be a joke league. College football will have a higher level of play then this league.

Quote Originally Posted by HidEmu
    its pretty simple...
    you cant have enough talent to compeat with the NFL. People want to watch the best and the NFL has all the best players, coaches ect...
    its the same reason we dont watch the WNBA or MLS or Arena football, those leagues do not have the best players in those sports. MLS players wish they were all on European or south american teams but they arnt good enough and arena football players wish they were in NFL. same would be true for this new league it would be a joke league. College football will have a higher level of play then this league.
    We watch college football. They aren't the best. Heck, down here, they go nuts over high school football. They aren't the best.

The Houston Aeros minor league hockey team gets good attendance. They aren't the best. I watch my friend play semi-pro football. They aren't the best.

Why does someone have to be the best to be worth watching? Why is everyone taking something good (more football) as some sort of attack on the NFL?
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ckdaDookie.png

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

its pretty simple...
    See post #37- this same argument was used back in the day before the two leagues merged into the NFL.

its pretty simple...
    I think you are starting from a flawed premise. I don't believe that it is impossible for them to have the talent to compete with the NFL. It depends on how they go about getting the talent. To be clear I don't think that they will start off with superstars, but they can get quality players.

The categories to look at would be:

1) Unhappy franchise tagged players like Lance Briggs
    2) later round draft picks who wouldn't sign for a lot in the NFL
    3) Older free agents who can't get a long term contract
    4) College players after their first or second year

The question would become a lot harder if they offered guaranteed contracts. Do you go with the UFL for 20 million guaranteed or NFL for 100 million it isn't an easy question.

The other thing to consider is that although there is a shortage of playing talent, I think there is a surplus of coaching talent out there. The trick is identifying the right guys for your team.

I think this new league actually has a few things going for it.

(1) It will be NFL style football. All the other alternative leagues have different rules. I don't watch arena football because it is to dang easy to score. I tried watching NFL Europa but they switch players out about every quarter. Its like watching a pee wee game where everyone gets to play.

(2) They are going after cities that want football but can not get an NFL team. Most of the USFL teams played in cities that had NFL teams like the Denver Gold. Local residents had a choice of going to a USFL game or saving their money to go to an NFL game that fall. Furthermore a USFL team playing in an NFL city was like Griese playing in Elways shadow. Everyone expects the new team to suddenly be as good as the old NFL team. A lot of cities have Baseball farm teams and they draw crowds because it is the only ticket in town. Personally I always thought the NFL could use a system of farm teams.

(3) They can always pick up the undrafted local heroes. The main reason I found myself watching NFL Europa was to see some ex Wyoming Cowboys and Q Griffin. I did actually watch a full Europa game a few weeks back brothers and ex Wyo Cowboys Qb's Corey and Casey Bramlet played against one another. The game ended up 24-17 and it was enteraining.

So I do think if this thing is marketed right it can be profitable. I do not think it will be on par with the NFL anytime soon if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseP
    I think this new league actually has a few things going for it.

(1) It will be NFL style football. All the other alternative leagues have different rules. I don't watch arena football because it is to dang easy to score. I tried watching NFL Europa but they switch players out about every quarter. Its like watching a pee wee game where everyone gets to play.

(2) They are going after cities that want football but can not get an NFL team. Most of the USFL teams played in cities that had NFL teams like the Denver Gold. Local residents had a choice of going to a USFL game or saving their money to go to an NFL game that fall. Furthermore a USFL team playing in an NFL city was like Griese playing in Elways shadow. Everyone expects the new team to suddenly be as good as the old NFL team. A lot of cities have Baseball farm teams and they draw crowds because it is the only ticket in town. Personally I always thought the NFL could use a system of farm teams.

(3) They can always pick up the undrafted local heroes. The main reason I found myself watching NFL Europa was to see some ex Wyoming Cowboys and Q Griffin. I did actually watch a full Europa game a few weeks back brothers and ex Wyo Cowboys Qb's Corey and Casey Bramlet played against one another. The game ended up 24-17 and it was enteraining.

So I do think if this thing is marketed right it can be profitable. I do not think it will be on par with the NFL anytime soon if ever.
    I agree 100%. That's exactly how I feel.
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ckdaDookie.png

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!!
    So is Donald Trump and so is 'whats-his-face' from the WWF. Ask them how those alternate football leagues work. We have alternate football available, and we don't watch it. We have Arena league, the Canadian League, and the European league. Look at the numbers... people aren't watching!!

There is a need for more football..... NFL FOOTBALL. Despite that fact that so many believe in the 'field of dreams' theory of "if you build it, they will come," people KNOW their NFL. People know their football, and know the difference between quality from crap. We don't want to watch second rate players and teams.

If you don't have to attract NFL-typ attendance to make money, then why did the other football leagues fail?? Remember the AFL? Remember X league? BIG time investors feeling and thinking the same way Cuban is... and they failed!

Mark Cuban isn't paving a way here. He's not coming up with any new ideas and thinking outside the box. He's thinking of jumping into a box that has already been made..and broken down again.
    I think the idea is stupid but it won't necessarily be second rate players. They are proposing that after the second round they can start battling the NFL in the draft. That will do two things. It will lower the depth of talent in the NFL and raise the depth in the Cuban league, thus bringing about mediocrity in both leagues. I think it's a horrible idea but it could work the way that they are proposing it.
    Rebuilding sucks.

Is Cuban taking notes from Vince McMahon?

Because he's destined to fail.