View Poll Results: Who will have a breakout season?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Cutler, Javon Walker, & Brandon Marshall

49 62.82%
  • Travis Henry

24 30.77%
  • D. J. Williams

24 30.77%
  • Defensive line -- pass rush

15 19.23%
  • Graham / Scheffler

12 15.38%
  • Other / None

4 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who is most likely to have a breakout season?

I see four top candidates for a breakout type season. By breakout, I mean a season that is so inspiring and spectacular that it lives on in memory for years and years--not just your nicely improving performance by an up and comer. With no less than four candidates, there is a lot to be stoked about as the season approaches (ever so slowly...)

1. Jay/Javon/Brandon Marshall

Although Jay could be on the list by himself, I include the (consensus) top two WRs as well. I think a breakout performance would be 30+ TD passes, 20 of them to those receivers, along with ~2000 yds between the two, and a pro-bowl nod to Jay and Javon.

2. Travis Henry

If Henry is a 30 carry RB, you can forget about Bell. But the Broncos (and many of the most dominant rushing teams) have turned to the two-back system with great results, so it's hard to tell yet. But if Henry carries the load, a breakout season would be AFC rushing title, 1800+ yards, and 15+ touchdowns...along with the pro-bowl nod.

3. D.J. Williams

Most of the talk has been about Al Wilson's void, the D-line reload, the #1 on paper cornerback duo, or the aging safeties...but little has been voiced about the possibility of D.J. Williams picking up where Al left off...and building on it. I think D.J. has the physical toolset to get the job done, so it's a real possibility that he could become one of the most dominating MLBs in the conference. A breakout season from D.J. would mean that he is always a force to account for on run and pass plays--it seems like he's everywhere, and he makes the big plays when needed most.

4. Defensive line

I hesitate to single out a player on the line, but Dumervil, Crowder or Moss seem like they could have such a season. Instead, I'm referring to the collective effort of the vets and the young players, primarily in mounting a disruptive pass rush. Will Denver emerge as the ultimate expression of a Bates' defense? A breakout season would mean top 3 in NFL in sacks, 3rd down conversion rate, or passing yardage. I would throw in a healthy dose of forced fumbles as well. Maybe this is the year that we have two DE's with 10+ sacks, with Dumervil as one of them.

I think that D.J. Williams is most likely to have that kind of breakout season. With the defensive captain gone, and D.J. moving squarely into the spotlight, I think he's more than ready for the challenge. Of course, with so much rising talent, it's tough to choose...

all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    all of the above
    i concur...
    the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

<a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

Travis Henry. He finally has a good O-line. Just watch him tear it up.
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9...oundoe0rf3.png

Go Cougs! Go Broncos!

Thanks tons Broncosfreak_56!

i'd say everyone on that list short of cutler,scheffler and marshall have had sort of breakout seasons already. henry's gone over 1000 yards more than a few times and hit double digit tds. everyone knows what he can do. dj had a rookie of the year caliber initial season. daniel graham, maybe but people will act like they knew. the dline maybe but it'd have to be the rookies.

i think jay and maybe scheff. probably just jay since there's only one ball to go 'round and they already said graham should get 50 catches this year. i think in typical bronco fashion we'll spread the ball around so i think jay will breakout.
    Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7703/cheatersty7.jpg
    Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
    Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks
    2 homer quotes for the price of 1! this guy is a goldmine of hilarity

Can't really narrow it down to one selection. I think all of them will out perform last year stats. My only real concern is Cutler, yes I said it, Cutler. My reasons for this are that its only his 2nd year and he played a few games last year. Its alot for any rookie to undertake especially here in Denver where QB's are either loved or hated, no middle ground. Alot of pressure... How is he going to handle pressure on the field when the game is on the line? Last year didnt count cause we all know mikey told him just go in there and do what ya can, no pressure. This year its going to be a new ball game and he is going to be expected to get the wins. It would have been nice to keep Plummer to help him handle the ups and downs. It's just a worry of mine and I am not slappin Cutler so simmer down Cutler super fans!
    [FONT=Times New Roman]If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. --General George S. Patton [/FONT]

I keep saying that Javon Walker will REALLY break out next season if he stays healthy.

As I keep saying if it wasn't for a terrible injury in 2005 and a terrible Quarterback for 11 games in 2006, I think Javon would be a 80+ reception 1300+ yard receiver for 3 years straight.

In the next few years I think we will all see the real Javon Walker, I think we will see him reach his full potential and I think we will see him keep up that standard of play for years to come.

Personally I think everyone in the list will breakout but I defintley think Javon will break out and once Cutler breaks out Javon will explode.

How about a magic trick?

Quote Originally Posted by JRWIZ
    all of the above
    Yea, all of the above would be nice.

It's a tough one when I went to click a box (which I haven't done yet).

Take Henry. What is a breakout season? Having had 1200, 1300 and 1400 yard seasons (1211 last year only starting 13 games and only 270 carries. One of only two rushers to finish in the top 10 on the rushing list last year, with less than 300 carries, LJ had 416).

So, if he plays a full 16 games and gets 330 or so carries, then if he ran with teh same efficiancy, he should be in the 1480-1490 range. So, would 1,500 yards be a breakout? I can't see it, since that was easily the pace he was on last year if he started all the games and got a normal 'starters' load of carries. Add to that, the Broncos vaunted running system should help raise his average, and it seems to me that if he stays healthy, anything short of 1700-1800 or possibly more couldn't really be considered a breakout.

Walker is beyond a breakout season having had nearly 1,400 yards in '04 for GB (the year before his injury) and 1,000 yards in Denver last year. So, I think groupling him into the breakout mix doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, Cutler having a breakout season or Marshall having a breakout season makes sense. Since Cutler just has 5 games under his belt, he isn't the type of player that you often talk about having a breakout season, because he hasn't had the multiple years of performance x, and the potential to raise his level of performance to y. In reality, the same is is true with Marshall, but since he played more games last year, maybe you could make him a candidate.

DJ or the defensive line are the most likely candidates, both due to the fact they have a history of x performance (a bit wierd when you are talking of a unit, rather than player) and have enough realistic headroom to make the jump to y be a significant jump.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator

Take Henry. What is a breakout season? Having had 1200, 1300 and 1400 yard seasons (1211 last year only starting 13 games and only 270 carries. One of only two rushers to finish in the top 10 on the rushing list last year, with less than 300 carries, LJ had 416).

So, if he plays a full 16 games and gets 330 or so carries, then if he ran with teh same efficiancy, he should be in the 1480-1490 range. So, would 1,500 yards be a breakout? I can't see it, since that was easily the pace he was on last year if he started all the games and got a normal 'starters' load of carries. Add to that, the Broncos vaunted running system should help raise his average, and it seems to me that if he stays healthy, anything short of 1700-1800 or possibly more couldn't really be considered a breakout.

Walker is beyond a breakout season having had nearly 1,400 yards in '04 for GB (the year before his injury) and 1,000 yards in Denver last year. So, I think groupling him into the breakout mix doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, Cutler having a breakout season or Marshall having a breakout season makes sense. Since Cutler just has 5 games under his belt, he isn't the type of player that you often talk about having a breakout season, because he hasn't had the multiple years of performance x, and the potential to raise his level of performance to y. In reality, the same is is true with Marshall, but since he played more games last year, maybe you could make him a candidate.

DJ or the defensive line are the most likely candidates, both due to the fact they have a history of x performance (a bit wierd when you are talking of a unit, rather than player) and have enough realistic headroom to make the jump to y be a significant jump.
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking the same thing. What's a break out season.

I split my vote between Henry and Culter. Cutler is easy. He has room to improve from last year and with his new targets and the running game, his numbers could very easily be considered a 'break out'. Henry on the other hand, I want to break 1700 yards. That seems to be the magic number.... The two times we had a single back break 1700 yards in a season we won a Super Bowl!
    Denver Obsession
    www.BroncoTalk.net
    My Denver Obsession has moved to BroncoTalk!

You know what - I wish I could vote for them all! I want the whole team to explode and have a breakout season!

Godpseed
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerfan
    You know what - I wish I could vote for them all! I want the whole team to explode and have a breakout season!

Godpseed
    The Broncos will have a breakout season

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJ
    The Broncos will have a breakout season

I sure hope so. In my heart I am like heck yeah - but I am trying to be cautiously optimistic. I don't want us to become to prideful.
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerfan

Godpseed
    I allowed the "vote for everybody" option on the options; fire away. Go ahead, it feels good.

I wish I had not used 'breakout', maybe 'most amazing' would have worked better. Tned is right, Walker has already 'broken out' so it's not the best use of 'breakout'. Anyway, the idea is which one of them will play off the hook next year--to borrow from AM 950's Alfred W. I think at least one of them (aforementioned options) is going to have one of those seasons that immortalizes the player in Bronco's lore like Champ did last year.

This all got started because I had one of those moments of unbearable expectation of the approaching season. I'm the kind of guy that expects the worse and is pleasantly surprised when something decent happens, so I don't normally get too excited about these things until I see them. I kinda lapsed and made a cocky poll...

The D-Line, anything this year will be a breakout year considering they didn't exist last year!

Did we even have a D-Line last year?

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator

I clicked on all but OTHER.. I think they will all achieve higher marks than last year.

For example On the DL that will just mean showing up and playing in 16 games.