Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

J. Moss strives to show "true colors"

I like to see stuff like this.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6172943

We interrupt this story on the latest NFL player arrest for a major reality check, courtesy of Broncos first-rounder Jarvis Moss.

Seems Moss had a break from minicamps last week, so he agreed to appear at the O-D Football Camp at Colorado Christian University. The terms were simple enough: One session with the kids for $500.

So he showed up. And then, with astonished parents and camp counselors looking on, he showed up the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And then, after he had touched the last kid's life, he told them to keep the 500 bucks.

"I didn't want to take anything from anybody, because that really wasn't why I was there," Moss said. "I was just going out there and teaching young guys stuff I've learned. I was enjoying myself so much, it didn't seem like a big deal to go back."

This is the guy who raised red flags on draft day because of his marijuana issues at Florida? Same guy, different outlook on life. Moss says he is appreciative of the chance the Broncos have given him and couldn't wait to get involved in the community.

"I wanted to show my true colors and give people a feel for the real me," Moss said. "A lot of guys on the Broncos do stuff like that all the time. After four or five days out there, I want to get me a Pee-Wee team." ...

"Right now, it looks like I'll be playing baseball with the Yankees." The interesting part isn't the quote, but who said it. That would be John Elway, circa 1983, after the Colts made him the first pick in the NFL draft. Elway had played one season for the Single-A Oneonta (N.Y.) Yankees, hitting .318 and driving in a team-high 25 runs in 42 games. ...

Wondering whether Elway could have made it to The Show? Every scout I've talked to through the years says he would have had a great chance. He was the Yankees' first pick in the 1981 summer draft, the 52nd overall. Six picks later, the Padres drafted Tony Gwynn. ...

For the record, 10 players from Elway's '81 draft class went on to play in the big leagues, including pitchers Eric Plunk and Bob Tewksbury, third basemen Mike Pagliarulo and Scott Bradley and first baseman Fred McGriff. ...

I feel your pain, ball fans, having shelled out $225 for three tickets to tonight's game. For that kind of jack, you'd think they would haul out Joe DiMaggio to play center field. ...

Not that it has been awhile since the Yankees were the Yankees, but the last time they won a World Series, Bill Clinton was in the White House, Enron was 90 bucks a share and gas had just reached two bucks a gallon. ...

Alex Rodriguez, on pace for 65 homers and 177 ribbies, is expected to opt out of his Yankees contract after the season. His asking price reportedly is 30 million bucks a year and a buxom blond to be named later. ...

The Twins are planning a 20-year reunion of the team's 1987 World Series champions. Ex-first baseman Kent Hrbek, to the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "There will be beer drinking and a lot of B.S. ... kind of like we did when we played." ...

Well, at least we know this much. If Kobe Bryant ever does get traded, he'll have plenty of baggage to make the trip. ...

Yes, Our Town's Own Chauncey Billups is expected to re-sign with the Pistons. But if he does, it would be despite the Bucks' best efforts to swing a sign-and-trade deal. ...

And finally, welcome back to the asylum to CSU's new co-offensive coordinator, Dave Lay, rehired by Sonny Lubick for a third tour of duty in Fort Collins.
    Last edited by squints; 06-19-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Very cool. I hope it's a sign that he's really got it together now.

Great post!!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?u=4223&type=sigpic&dateline=1244089821

No surprise.

I think for ANYBODY that delved into the stories that surrounded his time at Florida, this only highlights his true persona.

Another great pickup by Shanny.

And I imagine the same will come of his fellow teammate, as well......
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

Jacks RULE!!!!!!

Giving back has it ways of allowing people to stay grounded.

I hope Moss is a productive citizen for the rest of his life.
    Best wishes to the young man Moss on and off the field.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Now Jarvis, get in the weight room.

Quote Originally Posted by Emancipator
    Giving back has it ways of allowing people to stay grounded.

I hope Moss is a productive citizen for the rest of his life.
    Best wishes to the young man Moss on and off the field.

i agree completely-- it's always nice to hear about young guys who are so fortunate being willing to give something back. . . especially when he goes beyond the minimum expectations-- that suggests to me that, hopefully, he's really doing it out of the goodness of his heart rather than because his agent told him to work on his image. . .

after fighting the staff infection early in his career, this kid is just a puppy in terms of his development, even compared to other rookies. . . the athletic ability is definitely there-- hopefully he has the committment to match it. . . if he does, he has a chance to be a very good player for us. . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Quote Originally Posted by squints
    I like to see stuff like this.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6172943

We interrupt this story on the latest NFL player arrest for a major reality check, courtesy of Broncos first-rounder Jarvis Moss.

Seems Moss had a break from minicamps last week, so he agreed to appear at the O-D Football Camp at Colorado Christian University. The terms were simple enough: One session with the kids for $500.

So he showed up. And then, with astonished parents and camp counselors looking on, he showed up the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And then, after he had touched the last kid's life, he told them to keep the 500 bucks.

"I didn't want to take anything from anybody, because that really wasn't why I was there," Moss said. "I was just going out there and teaching young guys stuff I've learned. I was enjoying myself so much, it didn't seem like a big deal to go back."

This is the guy who raised red flags on draft day because of his marijuana issues at Florida? Same guy, different outlook on life. Moss says he is appreciative of the chance the Broncos have given him and couldn't wait to get involved in the community.

"I wanted to show my true colors and give people a feel for the real me," Moss said. "A lot of guys on the Broncos do stuff like that all the time. After four or five days out there, I want to get me a Pee-Wee team." ...

"Right now, it looks like I'll be playing baseball with the Yankees." The interesting part isn't the quote, but who said it. That would be John Elway, circa 1983, after the Colts made him the first pick in the NFL draft. Elway had played one season for the Single-A Oneonta (N.Y.) Yankees, hitting .318 and driving in a team-high 25 runs in 42 games. ...

Wondering whether Elway could have made it to The Show? Every scout I've talked to through the years says he would have had a great chance. He was the Yankees' first pick in the 1981 summer draft, the 52nd overall. Six picks later, the Padres drafted Tony Gwynn. ...

For the record, 10 players from Elway's '81 draft class went on to play in the big leagues, including pitchers Eric Plunk and Bob Tewksbury, third basemen Mike Pagliarulo and Scott Bradley and first baseman Fred McGriff. ...

I feel your pain, ball fans, having shelled out $225 for three tickets to tonight's game. For that kind of jack, you'd think they would haul out Joe DiMaggio to play center field. ...

Not that it has been awhile since the Yankees were the Yankees, but the last time they won a World Series, Bill Clinton was in the White House, Enron was 90 bucks a share and gas had just reached two bucks a gallon. ...

Alex Rodriguez, on pace for 65 homers and 177 ribbies, is expected to opt out of his Yankees contract after the season. His asking price reportedly is 30 million bucks a year and a buxom blond to be named later. ...

The Twins are planning a 20-year reunion of the team's 1987 World Series champions. Ex-first baseman Kent Hrbek, to the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "There will be beer drinking and a lot of B.S. ... kind of like we did when we played." ...

Well, at least we know this much. If Kobe Bryant ever does get traded, he'll have plenty of baggage to make the trip. ...

Yes, Our Town's Own Chauncey Billups is expected to re-sign with the Pistons. But if he does, it would be despite the Bucks' best efforts to swing a sign-and-trade deal. ...

And finally, welcome back to the asylum to CSU's new co-offensive coordinator, Dave Lay, rehired by Sonny Lubick for a third tour of duty in Fort Collins.

Does the 2nd half of this article make any sense to anyone??? I mean, I realize John Elway is a connectiong link between the Broncos and the world of professional baseball. But really... where is the relevance to Jarvis Moss, who I thought the article was originally about?

:offtopic:

EDIT: If anyone can point out what a dork I am for missing the "obvious" connection, please... don't hesitate to do so.
    Last edited by sbutk; 06-19-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

thats very nice of him....use to go to the O-D football camp down in MIA. zack thomas would always show up. thats about it tho as far as dolphins....even tho that camp was like 50 yards from the dolphins training complex, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by sbutk
    Does the 2nd half of this article make any sense to anyone??? I mean, I realize John Elway is a connectiong link between the Broncos and the world of professional baseball. But really... where is the relevance to Jarvis Moss, who I thought the article was originally about?

:offtopic:

EDIT: If anyone can point out what a dork I am for missing the "obvious" connection, please... don't hesitate to do so.
    I did not see the connection, but I posted the entire artical for everyone to read.

I use to coach little league baseball and we asked this now retired Titan TE to come out for a rally we had to raise money for our park and equipment for the kids.

This player said he only would - if we paid him. I said no thanks!

Titans OL Kevin Long came out for free.

It just shows that some people are good people. Jarvis Moss sounds like good people!

Thanks for posting!
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

that was the only reason he fell in the draft. remember he was the second best defensive end in the draft but off the field issues made him slip but mike believes he can turn him all of the other guys with character issues around but yea it is nice to hear that he is doing something for the kids

A little comma can go a long way...

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk
    That was the only reason he fell in the draft. Remember, he was the second best defensive end in the draft, but off the field issues made him slip. Mike believes he can turn him (and) all of the other guys with character issues around, but yea it is nice to hear that he is doing something for the kids!
    As with all new posters, here's a little help with the PUNCTUATION problem.

Not a big deal, just helps keep our posts readable and avoid migraines...

Back to the post!

It's great to hear of our players avoiding 'Pacman'-style trouble AND contributing to the community.

Thanks for the post!

IMO, I didn't hear enough to consider Moss a "character concern." Maybe it's just me, but a college kid experimenting with pot just doesn't seem terribly out of place. I, personally, don't smoke it, but I don't consider it any worse than alcohol (which I do consume) or tobacco (only on rare occasions.) If the report had included robbery, abusing a girlfriend (or any woman), altercations at clubs/parties...THEN I would be worried. If I missed something on his record, please correct me. He just doesn't seem like anything other than a human being.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Quote Originally Posted by squints
    I did not see the connection, but I posted the entire artical for everyone to read.

Oh, well, I don't want you to feel at all that I'm criticizing you for posting it. I really enjoyed what I read about Moss.

It's more like I'm pointing out the author of that particular article must've been on drugs, or something, when he wrote it, considering that massive segue.

Again, thanks for sharing, squints!

Last edited by sbutk; 06-20-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Nice to read this type of story with all the negative stories floating around (thanks Pacman)