Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ
    The guy had one good game the whole time he was there. He was never a starter until this last year. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well, isn't fast, and doesn't tackle well. Also, something's gotta be wrong with the guy to flunk out of school when he had probably every perk you could think of being given to a student athlete.
    like something was wrong with marcus thomas?

Quote Originally Posted by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05
    Oliver held Calvin Johnson to just 2 receptions for 19 yards last season I believe, so to say he sucks might be a little overkill.
    Like I said, one good game. Stats can be deceiving, because GT usually struggles against UGA, Reggie Ball was a terrible QB, and UGA had an excellent pass rush, led by Charles Johnson and Quentin Moses who were both excellent players. Maybe CJ didn't have his best stuff and that could've had nothing to do with Oliver.

As a UGA fan, there's usually not too many people who come out of that program that I'm not a huge supporter of, but he's one of them (and for anyone else who's interested, George Foster was another). I just never saw anything from Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdavey
    weird, the other georgia fans who stopped by the chargers message board spoke highly of him...looks like you're just a bitter bronco homer
    Or someone who's a huge supporter of a team (Georgia) that doesn't like weak links like Paul Oliver hurting their record. I've posted several times that I didn't want Denver to draft him and I am happy as can be that a division rival picked him.

like something was wrong with marcus thomas?
    That has nothing to do with it. Thomas' dismissal from UF had nothing to do with academics. Also, Thomas was considered the most talented DT and could've been a first round pick if not for his drug concerns.

Oliver wouldn't have been drafted highly. He didn't even get picked in the supplemental draft until the 4th round. Everyone was hyping him up until his workout where he ran very poorly and lowered his stock back to where it should've been all along.

Enjoy Charger fans. You just got a below average CB who's not even smart enough to make it through a college where they (like most football schools) probably have things going on behind the scenes to make sure athletes stay eligible.
    Last edited by ChampWJ; 07-12-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Or someone who's a huge supporter of a team (Georgia) that doesn't like weak links like Paul Oliver hurting their record. I've posted several times that I didn't want Denver to draft him and I am happy as can be that a division rival picked him.

That has nothing to do with it. Thomas' dismissal from UF had nothing to do with academics. Also, Thomas was considered the most talented DT and could've been a first round pick if not for his drug concerns.

Oliver wouldn't have been drafted highly. He didn't even get picked in the supplemental draft until the 4th round. Everyone was hyping him up until his workout where he ran very poorly and lowered his stock back to where it should've been all along.
    i love how one guy getting thrown out of school is heroic or something, because he's a bronco , but the other getting tossed out for being probably as stupid as reggie nelson, is somehow worse

it's cool that you at least never wanted him, but still, pot kettle marcus thomas

i love how one guy getting thrown out of school is heroic or something, because he's a bronco , but the other getting tossed out for being probably as stupid as reggie nelson, is somehow worse

it's cool that you at least never wanted him, but still, pot kettle marcus thomas
    When did I say anything good about Marcus Thomas, other than the fact that he could've been drafted higher if not for drugs?

Comparing a player who's stupid enough to smoke pot and one who's too stupid to make it through a school that probably made him take PE or something is not the same thing.

I'm not comparing the two, you are.

Oliver likely would have been a 1st-day pick had he come out for the regular draft. He was being hyped up as a high 1st round pick in 2008 had he been able to stay in school. Teams are generally very reluctant to spend high picks on players in the supplemental draft due to the risk involved, which is why sometimes no one is picked in the supplemental draft.

Oliver likely would have been a 1st-day pick had he come out for the regular draft. He was being hyped up as a high 1st round pick in 2008 had he been able to stay in school.
    All based of the one good game he had. I remember a lot of people backing off that hype after his workout for the supplemental draft. Lots of people realized they had him overrated and realized he is nothing more than average at best. Again, He doesn't do anything exceptionally, isn't fast, and to top it off, he's stupid enough to flunk out of school, which is really hard for a student athlete on scholarship to do.

Don't you think a guy that could possibly have a multi-million dollar payday coming up if he gets through one more year of school might push himself to do it? It must not be that important to him.

The guy had one good game the whole time he was there. He was never a starter until this last year. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well, isn't fast, and doesn't tackle well. Also, something's gotta be wrong with the guy to flunk out of school when he had probably every perk you could think of being given to a student athlete.

I think most Dawg fans would probably agree with me and I don't think we're worried about replacing him at all. He was probably no better than UGA's 3rd or 4th best corner last year and only started because of the others' inexperience.

It's hard for me to even call him overrated, because I don't think he was really ever rated highly to begin with.
    In a strong conference such as the SEC many players do not start until their Junior year. Many do not start until their senior year and go in the first round the following draft. It is unfortunate he had to drop out of school. This created a great bargain price for the Chargers to draft him.

For a 4th round pick (probably a high one) the Chargers got a SEC 1st team favorite who was expected to go in the first round had he stayed another season.

He was a steal.
    [CENTER][b][COLOR="Red"]"I think we're all year-by-year in the NFL. If you live in the past, it's really hard to enjoy the present. And, if you live in the past, you have no chance for the future." - Mike Shanahan [/COLOR][/B] [/CENTER]

Like I said, one good game. Stats can be deceiving, because GT usually struggles against UGA, Reggie Ball was a terrible QB, and UGA had an excellent pass rush, led by Charles Johnson and Quentin Moses who were both excellent players. Maybe CJ didn't have his best stuff and that could've had nothing to do with Oliver.

As a UGA fan, there's usually not too many people who come out of that program that I'm not a huge supporter of, but he's one of them (and for anyone else who's interested, George Foster was another). I just never saw anything from Oliver.
    Come on you are giving the guy zero credit because he is now a Charger. A UGA fan just posted a video on the Chargers forum showing him make an excellent play by knocking the ball out of Calvin's hands in the endzone. I'm not the UGA fan here, you should know this.
    [CENTER][b][COLOR="Red"]"I think we're all year-by-year in the NFL. If you live in the past, it's really hard to enjoy the present. And, if you live in the past, you have no chance for the future." - Mike Shanahan [/COLOR][/B] [/CENTER]

Where does Marcus fit in all this ?? Someone asked him as a Goergia fan what his opinion was of Oliver and he gave it

If you wanna read how great Oliver is maybe you should try the Charger forum..I have a feeling your gonna find a hard time trying to find anyone here thats all that impressed with your new corner

As far as Oliver goes..I know squat about him BUT i will defer to Smith and his success and say that kid has some skills.... GRATZ

Thats freakin crazy cause Eric Weddle did the same thing 2 years ago in the Emerald Bowl! And Where did he get drafted? SD! Freaky!
    I think it was 2 rec. for 19yrds!

Quote Originally Posted by GoTomlinson
    He was a steal.
    One who probably won't be in the NFL in 2 years. Wait until the guy plays until you classify him a steal or bargain.

Typical. Thinking a player is a "bargain" when in all actuality, he will be nothing more than average at best, if he even makes the team. That speaks volumes about SD's lack of depth or talent at CB that they are willing to take this guy.

Again, there are not many Georgia players I don't love, unless they suck in college. Or flunk out.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTomlinson
    Come on you are giving the guy zero credit because he is now a Charger. A UGA fan just posted a video on the Chargers forum showing him make an excellent play by knocking the ball out of Calvin's hands in the endzone. I'm not the UGA fan here, you should know this.
    How many times do I need to say he only had one good game? If you find some tape on him other than that game, you'll most likely see him getting burned, missing a tackle, or penalized instead of making "an excellent play." Don't tell me I don't know about Oliver, or tell me I should know something because I'm a UGA fan. I've watched every game Oliver has played, sometimes several times, and I'm telling you as a Georgia fan, the guy is nothing. I don't say that about many UGA players.

This has nothing to do with me being a Bronco fan, or a Charger hater.

Typical. Thinking a player is a "bargain" when in all actuality, he will be nothing more than average at best, if he even makes the team. That speaks volumes about SD's lack of depth or talent at CB that they are willing to take this guy.
    If he turns out to be average, then this pick woulb be a success. The Chargers got an average player in a position of need for a high 4th round pick. That still sounds good to me. He would then be playing behind Jammer and Cromartie in the future. The reason why the Chargers drafted him was in anticipation to the departure of Drayton Florence next season (he will be demanding a big contract).

Again, there are not many Georgia players I don't love, unless they suck in college. Or flunk out.
    That is your opinion, but don't let your anger blind you from opening up to the idea that it was a good move for the Chargers.

How many times do I need to say he only had one good game? If you find some tape on him other than that game, you'll most likely see him getting burned, missing a tackle, or penalized instead of making "an excellent play." Don't tell me I don't know about Oliver, or tell me I should know something because I'm a UGA fan. I've watched every game Oliver has played, sometimes several times, and I'm telling you as a Georgia fan, the guy is nothing. I don't say that about many UGA players.

This has nothing to do with me being a Bronco fan, or a Charger hater.
    I'd be foolish to argue with a hardcore UGA fan when I know little about the program myself. I'm basing what I know from what the majority of other UGA fans are saying.

He was voted most improved player last year by his teammates, right?

He did get the iron man award his sophomore year for never missing a practice, correct?