Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rod Smith to PUP? Jarvis Moss to sign? Greg Wesley?

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier96B View Post
    i also took a crap and it was orange

Smith to PUP?

There is a good chance the Broncos will put receiver Rod Smith on the physically unable to perform list during the early going of training camp. Smith had hip surgery in February. On July 10, Smith said he had yet to begin running.

Players put on the PUP list in training camp can be taken off it anytime before the start of the regular season. If a player starts the regular season on the PUP list, he must sit out at least the first six weeks of the season.

Having Smith on the list to start training camp would allow young receivers more practice time and let the team carry an extra player on the roster.

Fellow receiver Brandon Stokley, meanwhile, is ahead of schedule and might soon be ready to practice. Stokley, signed from Indianapolis as a free agent, had an Achilles tendon injury last season.

The team is likely to make a decision about backup safety Sam Brandon this week. Brandon has been slow to recover from a torn ACL he suffered last November.
    So Rod hasnt even started running yet? So we very well might not even see Rod on the field this season...

And I had no idea the Broncos needed to make "a decision" on Sam Brandon....

Great find, Seeing Red!

Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

I hope Rod can get back before camp is over, the only upside to it is that does allow younger receivers to get more practice time.

I know this happen procedurally every year but makes me nervous for the front office to wait until week prior to training camp to sign its rookies. I guess as long as they get it done before camp it's not a problem.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed
    I had predicted Smith on the PUP. However did not realize the rule was 6 weeks. But that then can still be a real advantage to let him heal all that time and yet still be able to rehab with the team. We know what we have in Rod if he is able to perform. We do not know what these other kids can do.

If Rod is not running yet he certainly will not be ready to go day one of the season give him the PUP and we have until the season starts to make that 6 weeks decision.

I see this as an ACE in the hole.

First three picks likely to sign soon

First three picks likely to sign soon

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6446929

By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 07/23/2007 11:09:07 PM MDT

The Broncos report to Dove Valley on Saturday and begin workouts Sunday. (Post file)Like most NFL teams, the Broncos use the beginning of the week they report to training camp to earnestly begin contract talks with their draft choices. This year is no different, but there is less urgency.

The Broncos report to Dove Valley on Saturday and begin workouts Sunday, making them the latest team to get to work in the NFL this year. Under NFL rules, teams can't start camp earlier than 15 days before their first preseason game. Denver's preseason opener is Aug. 13 at San Francisco.

Although the Broncos are six days from the start of training camp, the team is confident it will have its three unsigned draft picks in the fold.

"We've talked to all of the agents, who we all know and feel good about working with, every day and will continue to talk every day this week," Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said. "Everyone understands the importance of getting in on time, and we believe we will."

Still unsigned are the team's first-, second- and third-round picks - defensive end Jarvis Moss, defensive end Tim Crowder and offensive tackle Ryan Harris, respectively. Defensive tackle Marcus Thomas, a fourth- round pick, signed July 11.

Moss said this month he expects no trouble finalizing his deal and added he fully expects to be at camp on time. He was the No. 17 pick overall.

Possibly impacting the value of the Moss deal, Pittsburgh signed No. 15 pick Lawrence Timmons on Sunday night to a five-year deal worth up to $15 million.

Smith to PUP?

There is a good chance the Broncos will put receiver Rod Smith on the physically unable to perform list during the early going of training camp. Smith had hip surgery in February. On July 10, Smith said he had yet to begin running.

Players put on the PUP list in training camp can be taken off it anytime before the start of the regular season. If a player starts the regular season on the PUP list, he must sit out at least the first six weeks of the season.

Having Smith on the list to start training camp would allow young receivers more practice time and let the team carry an extra player on the roster.

Fellow receiver Brandon Stokley, meanwhile, is ahead of schedule and might soon be ready to practice. Stokley, signed from Indianapolis as a free agent, had an Achilles tendon injury last season.

The team is likely to make a decision about backup safety Sam Brandon this week. Brandon has been slow to recover from a torn ACL he suffered last November.

Wesley talks drag on

The Broncos have repeatedly talked with Kansas City in the past month about the trade availability of safety Greg Wesley.

Wesley's agent, Drew Pittman, confirmed the teams have talked because Wesley, 29, is hoping for a change of scenery and the Broncos are looking for depth at safety. The Broncos likely are offering a low-round pick and perhaps a backup player. The Chiefs are looking for help at cornerback.

Plummer update

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers report to training camp Thursday and begin practice Friday at Orlando, Fla. Although the team still hopes quarterback Jake Plummer will report to camp, that appears unlikely. Plummer is residing in his native Idaho, and those close to him have said he has given no indications he plans to report.

Plummer, the Broncos' starting quarterback the past four seasons, announced his retirement in March, but Tampa Bay traded for him anyway. Plummer will owe Tampa Bay a portion of his prorated signing bonus if he doesn't report. If he does report, the Broncos will get a fourth- round pick from Tampa Bay next year. If he doesn't, the Broncos get the Buccaneers' seventh-round pick next April.
    Staff writer Bill Williamson can be reached at 303-954-1262 or bwilliamson@denverpost.com.
    http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...rfanmb9uc2.gif

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...assdb/Jay2.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

So it looks possible that the Broncos just might release Brandon? Is that how I understood that? And pursue Wesley from K.C.
    Pretty interesting....Good article!
    [IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/sgriffeth78/OrangeCrunch.jpg[/IMG]
    ORANGE CRUSH!!!

I think it goes to show that Rod is not ready. i like that we dont have to make the call until the season starts but on the other hand I am sad to hear he is not progressing very fast (I just suppose he is starting to show his age). If he is not ready I think that will put a small question mark on the recievers because no one else really has that starting experience. As far as Sam Brandon he apparently isn't coming along very fast either. Obviously this is why we are still interested in Greg Wesley. It said the chiefs are looking for corner help, I'm wondering if we are going to give them the conditional pick we got from Tampa (hopefully its a seventh or we pobably wont give it if Plummer reports and its a fourth) and Foxworth or Paymah... just a thought but maybe thats why Foxworth spoke out the other day about being "good enough to start on other teams." Again none of this is fact just speculation. hopefully if Brandon and Smith can't get ready in time for the season our other guys will step up. And I think that if Sam Brandon can't go then we seriously need to get Wesley for the depth and experience in case the young guys aren't panning out.

I really would like to see the trade for Wesley happen. I know a lot of guys don't particularly care for him, but with Brandon's injury taking longer to heal on top of his already looming 2 game suspension, depth at Safety cannot be over emphasized. NTM, nobody really knows how well Nick Ferguson will do. Supposedly his recovery is on track, but if his knee starts swelling up in TC (which is known to happen post surgery), it may become an issue.

I know a lot of folks seem to be pulling for Hamza Abdullah to get his shot, but I'm not comfortable with either him, Cox, or especially not Foxy, starting the season at SS. Wesley is a better safety than any of them and might even be able to beat out Trainwreck in camp (especially if he's not 100%).

Looks like the Chiefs want a CB in return. Obviously it won't be Champ or Bly and I'm really hoping we're not dumb enough to give them Foxy. Other than that I wouldn't hate it too much to see Cox, Paymah (although I would like to keep him), or especially Shoate go in trade.

i would have to say that if a TRADE does happen then it would have to be one of those four players to get the ol' denver boot. And I just thought since Foxworthy came out and said that stuff the other day about thinking he is good enough to start on alot of team that that would be the desiding factor. I mean a guy thinking he is much better then the team he plays on thinks he is could be trouble. Not saying Shanny doesn't think he is good but with the addition of Bly I would go out on a limb and say shanny doesn't think he is starter material!!! They are all (Foxy, Paymah, Shoate and Cox) the same age and about the same talent level so developing any one of them could take time. However losing one of them wont hurt us that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    Looks like the Chiefs want a CB in return. Obviously it won't be Champ or Bly and I'm really hoping we're not dumb enough to give them Foxy. Other than that I wouldn't hate it too much to see Cox, Paymah (although I would like to keep him), or especially Shoate go in trade.
    Same here; I don't wont to lose Foxworth. I think the 3rd cornerback on a team is extremely valuable and generally undervalued. But I don't believe that Shanny is one of those people who undervalues the spot considering all his moves in recent years to try to match up to Manning & Co. I would be extremely surprised for the Broncos to part ways with Foxworth.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Rod is swimming and that's a great sign he has motion in his hip. It's also the best and safest way to tear scar tissue which is needed to have full motion/rotation of his hip.

Right now after just 5 months, running would be taking a huge risk at damaging the healing area and that scar tissue in supporting the impact of Rods weight. That pressure and it's impact on the cartlidge prematurely, could have career ending possibilitys.

See Terrell Davis.

Bone on Bone is not good.

Looks like Brandon is done with Denver and may be done for his career..Too Bad

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/p...Y&pageId=3.2.1

DENVER -- The Denver Broncos are making moves to possibly waive Safety Sam Brandon, sources tell Fox 31’s Josina Anderson.

The source, who has first-hand knowledge of the situation, says the Broncos want Brandon to sign documents confirming he did not pass his 2007 physical.

Asking Brandon to do this, according to the source, would facilitate waiving Brandon, and the teams desire to offer him an injury protection settlement in the amount of $275,000 dollars.

The settlement amounts to slightly more than a third of the $650,000 base salary Brandon is scheduled to earn this season.

Brandon originally suffered a season-ending injury in last season’s November 5th game against the Pittsburgh Steelers during which he tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial cruciate ligament (MCL), and the meniscus in his right knee.

Brandon reportedly had two micro-fracture procedures on that same knee. Subsequently, he worked during the off-season to rehabilitate the knee and, according to the team source, was cleared in his May 17th physical. As a result, Brandon participated in the remaining portion of the Broncos off-season program, occasionally running with his teammates and doing lower-impact cardio workouts on alternate days.

However recently, according to the team source, Brandon has experienced a regression in his rehab with new aggravations to the original right knee injury. The team source reveals that this occurred after Brandon submitted to a request of running on the turf surface at Dove Valley. A subsequent MRI and X-ray have revealed new concerns about the condition of Brandon’s right knee.

“When I was watching [Brandon], something didn’t look right when he was breaking.” “I was like-- there is no way he will be ready for training camp,” a Broncos coach said of the Brandon’s current physical condition.

That coach revealed he didn’t feel Brandon should have been doing some of the things requested of him in his rehab training, and that includes training on the turf surface.

According to a team source Monday, the Broncos revealed to Brandon the results of his X-ray and subsequently asked Brandon to accept this injury settlement.

The likelihood of Brandon reporting for training camp on July 28th are “up in the air,” according to the source.

I would be shocked if we gave up Foxworth for Wesley. I hate to hear the news about Brandon, he is a significant loss if he does not heal. Personally, I do not understand the interest in Wesley. The only thing that says to me is that Bates does not think much of Abdullah, Cox, etc. Wesley certainly does not fit as a replacement for Brandon--too slow, lacks ballhawking instincts, and lays the wood on an infrequent basis. He is not deserving of the "horrid" label with which he was branded when he was a part of those pathetic Chiefs' defenses of 2-4 years ago, but he is not very exciting as starting material either. Good for depth, yes, but does he really fit a hole that opens with Brandon's absence?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlensbest3233 View Post
    I would be shocked if we gave up Foxworth for Wesley. I hate to hear the news about Brandon, he is a significant loss if he does not heal. Personally, I do not understand the interest in Wesley. The only thing that says to me is that Bates does not think much of Abdullah, Cox, etc. Wesley certainly does not fit as a replacement for Brandon--too slow, lacks ballhawking instincts, and lays the wood on an infrequent basis. He is not deserving of the "horrid" label with which he was branded when he was a part of those pathetic Chiefs' defenses of 2-4 years ago, but he is not very exciting as starting material either. Good for depth, yes, but does he really fit a hole that opens with Brandon's absence?

If we traded Foxy for him, I would be so, well you know, so I am thinking maybe Paymah may be the CB that is traded
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Bowlensbest3233 View Post

Wesley has proven to be a pretty good ballhawk safety...His tackling needs work and in a division with the likes of LT and LJ a bad tackling safety is not the answer
    Last edited by DrewB; 07-24-2007 at 04:16 PM.