Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Darnell Bing

Darnell Bing

The Raiders just released Bing .. I think he could be a solid DEPTH pick up .. he can play both OLB and S .. both Positions that we need depth in .. And especially with the talks of releasing Sam Brandon .. But im also hoping for greg wesley . but both wouldnt hurt

I liked Bing at USC but going through the Raiders program probably set him back pretty far. He may be a lost cause at this point.

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrass View Post
    I liked Bing at USC but going through the Raiders program probably set him back pretty far. He may be a lost cause at this point.
    well oakland had the #3 defense last year... so id say he was in a good defensive scheme.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

My question is why did they release them, oh, and link us up please
    http://www.buddhistedu.org/en/images/stories/Vanhoa/zen2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by DBkaeoz33 View Post
    The Raiders just released Bing .. I think he could be a solid DEPTH pick up .. he can play both OLB and S .. both Positions that we need depth in .. And especially with the talks of releasing Sam Brandon .. But im also hoping for greg wesley . but both wouldnt hurt
    Now this is a player i wanted last year. so i would ove to have a chace at him
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MHS View Post
    well oakland had the #3 defense last year... so id say he was in a good defensive scheme.
    He didnt even play last year.
    The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
    While he sits by his hearth at home.
    Quickly finds when questioned by others .
    That he knows nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hamburgler View Post
    My question is why did they release them, oh, and link us up please
    Because were loaded at safety, (and hes too slow to play safety anyway)
    and hes still too small to play OLB.

With some work he could be good. But we just dont need him.

This is the draft pic I was most excited about since Charles Woodson. I thought we got a steal.

His biggest problem, and it is a MAJOR one, is that he is very delicate. Incredibly injury prone and as a result, plays with that thought in the back of his mind. Potential to be a hard hitter, but only does it when he is not at risk. That does not make for a hard hitter.

He is also a tweener. Not fast enough to be a safety, not enough linebacker skills to be a star at that level, if solid. But I thought he would've been a good linebacker and an even better safety.

Whoever gets him will have a big project on their hands. He will be a guy who can make about 1-2 big plays a game, and 1-2 big misses a game.

But with all that said, I don't like the move of waiving him. We're loaded at safety, so I guess he didn't even make the 4th slot. That could either mean we have some good safeties or his injury is holding him back.

I'll be watching his career very closely. Good luck to him.

Shanahan should give this guy a call. He would be a depth piece for now (which we need) but he could excel in this scheme because in this scheme safeties are asked to stop the run 1st, and Bing is that type of in-the-box safety. Alternatively, he could replace Brandon as the "big nickel" guy. No harm in bringing him in to compete.
    Last edited by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05; 07-25-2007 at 05:54 PM.

i heard a lot about this guy. mayock also seemed pretty high on him and he is usually pretty accurate about players. i think we should pick him up.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Times BABY! View Post
    Because were loaded at safety, (and hes too slow to play safety anyway)
    and hes still too small to play OLB.

With some work he could be good. But we just dont need him.
    Sounds like Marcus Fizer, a basketball player...

Too big to play small forward and too small to play power forward.
    http://i38.tinypic.com/24et8v5.jpg
    Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
    RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
    Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
    -Kobe Bryant-

was he not a 1st rd pick, or was it 2nd rd. i know he was slated pretty high.

He was drafted last year right? this is the guy im thinking of?
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

I saw every down he played at USC and, talent-wise (as opposed to off-the-field) he's a big hitter who makes plays, can come up to support the run, but is an awful cover-safety.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    was he not a 1st rd pick, or was it 2nd rd. i know he was slated pretty high.

He was drafted last year right? this is the guy im thinking of?
    uh... no.

Michael Huff was a first round pick safety taken by the Raiders, Bing... not that high.
    RIP Darrent Williams

Bing went 4th round.

Here is a pre draft bio about him:

Position: Safety
    School: USC

Height: 6-2

Weight: 220

40-Yard Dash: 4.45 (EST)

Positives:
    Darnell Bing has prototypical size for an NFL safety, with very, very good speed and hitting power to complement it. He is above-average in coverage, although not great in it. Bing has tons of upside, which is impressive given his current ability. He is not a bit afraid to come up to the line of scrimmage and blitz, and can lay the lumber on the ball carrier anywhere on the field.

Negatives:
    Bing has never been able to put together a healthy season, seemingly always being hurt and missing some time. To his credit, he plays through a lot of injuries, but they effect his play more than they should. His coverage ability isn't what it could be with his speed and athleticism, but that may be in part because of those injuries.

Overview:
    As an incredibly highly-decorated recruit out of high school, there have always been high expectations for Darnell Bing, which he may have lived up to, and then some, if not for his injuries. Some feel that because of his speed, he will make a better free safety in the NFL, but his closing and hitting abilities lend him better to the strong safety spot, especially with his occasional problems in coverage. He has the potential to be a top-15 pick in the draft if he could stay healthy for a year, and will be an instant upgrade to the safety position for many teams.

I personally think he is a worth while player to take a look at for depth. Who knows, maybe Bates can turn him into something.