Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So, do we need anything from Atlanta?

The reason I ask is because Warrick Dunn is going to have back surgery that will keep him out 6 weeks best case. This leaves Jerious Norwood as their starter. Behind Norwood, there just isn't much of anything. Combine that with joey Harrington as the starting QB and the Falcons could be in serious trouble.

I think most of you know what I'm thinking, but for those who don't...

With Henry as the entrenched starter, and having a pretty good group behind him in Sapp, Bell, and Young, maybe we should give Atlanta a call and see if we can generate some interest for a trade for one of them. Sure they could wait until cut downs, but then anyone they bring in has lost out on playing/camp time. They could scan the waiver wire, but anybody worth a darn will be in camp with some team until cut downs start.I know a lot of folks like Mike Bell but let's face it, if he was destined to be our starter some day we never would've signed Henry. He was an UDFA who at most will end up a career backup.

Our system tends to make many RBs more attractive than they really are and with Mike's solid performance last year, especially in the red zone, he is probably worth something - probably a 5th-6th round pick which is way more than we paid for him. Maybe there's a player we could swap him for (unfortunately, the Falcons are even weaker at Safety depth than we are).

Leave your heart out of it for a second and tell me what you think of something like this as a "business decision". Gotta strike while the iron is hot and right now Atlanta looks to be in the buyers' market, we just happen to have what they might be looking for.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 07-26-2007 at 04:56 PM.

i didnt know that warrick dunn was having back surgery. i wonder who is going to be the dummy who picks him up in my FF drafts comming up. I think i may just take jerious norwood second round if he is still around. he is a machine!

No No No, there is no reason to trade with the falcons. They have nobody we need. Unless it is Jerious Norwood, I would definitly take him over any of our back-ups. He would be the only person on the Falcons that we could use. Oh maybe Lawyer Malloy but he is old and probably near the end of his career. But getting back to real life... there is no one on that team that we need at this point. i am confident in Sapp and Bell as our back-ups (Norwood would be better but still) and if Ferguson is injury free and we do something in free agency with the safety then we will be good to go. No Fal-cons please!!!

Mike Bell has almost no trade value anyway and is far more valuable to us as a reserve than he ever could be as trade bait...

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

We need Deangelo Hall!!! (Kidding)

But still, how sweet would that be?
    :orton:

Three things:

1.) As you mentioned its bad timing. A player would eventually get up to speed with team, but it could be problematic especially if you need them right away.

2.) Shanahan likes to be at least three deep at running back and I think for good reason. It would leave us short handed if we trade someone like M. Bell away.

3.) I honestly don't see anything they have that we are in need of.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    The reason I ask is because Warrick Dunn is going to have back surgery that will keep him out 6 weeks best case. This leaves Jerious Norwood as their starter. Behind Norwood, there just isn't much of anything. Combine that with joey Harrington as the starting QB and the Falcons could be in serious trouble.

I think most of you know what I'm thinking, but for those who don't...

With Henry as the entrenched starter, and having a pretty good group behind him in Sapp, Bell, and Young, maybe we should give Atlanta a call and see if we can generate some interest for a trade for one of them. Sure they could wait until cut downs, but then anyone they bring in has lost out on playing/camp time. They could scan the waiver wire, but anybody worth a darn will be in camp with some team until cut downs start.I know a lot of folks like Mike Bell but let's face it, if he was destined to be our starter some day we never would've signed Henry. He was an UDFA who at most will end up a career backup.

Our system tends to make many RBs more attractive than they really are and with Mike's solid performance last year, especially in the red zone, he is probably worth something - probably a 5th-6th round pick which is way more than we paid for him. Maybe there's a player we could swap him for (unfortunately, the Falcons are even weaker at Safety depth than we are).

Leave your heart out of it for a second and tell me what you think of something like this as a "business decision". Gotta strike while the iron is hot and right now Atlanta looks to be in the buyers' market, we just happen to have what they might be looking for.
    If you have no value for Bell what makes you think Atlanta or any other team would? Like you said.. "Bell is a UDFA who at most will end up a career backup."
    The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncs453 View Post
    We need Deangelo Hall!!! (Kidding)

But still, how sweet would that be?
    Not to sweet if we have to see Hines Ward burn him with one shoe on again.

150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal.

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos General Manager

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoMan04 View Post
    No No No, there is no reason to trade with the falcons. They have nobody we need. Unless it is Jerious Norwood, I would definitly take him over any of our back-ups. He would be the only person on the Falcons that we could use. Oh maybe Lawyer Malloy but he is old and probably near the end of his career. But getting back to real life... there is no one on that team that we need at this point. i am confident in Sapp and Bell as our back-ups (Norwood would be better but still) and if Ferguson is injury free and we do something in free agency with the safety then we will be good to go. No Fal-cons please!!!
    So this guy is not worthy of consideration?
    Jimmy Williams
    Position: FS
    Class: Sr
    School: Virginia Tech
    Conference: Atlantic Coast
    Ht., Wt.: 6-2.5, 213
    40 Time: 4.47
    Selected by: Atlanta Falcons
    Round 2, pick 5 (37th overall)
    BIO: Moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore. All-Conference cornerback the past two seasons totaling 44/1/6 as a senior after 60/5/14 the prior year. Sophomore totals included 114 tackles at free safety.

POSITIVES: Imposing defensive back who physically beats down opponents. Fluid transitioning off the line and easily out-muscles opponents to defend the pass. Quick up the field defending the run and possesses a burst of closing speed. Displays solid footwork in all directions and above-average ball skills.

NEGATIVES: Prefers to side-shuffle almost immediately off the snap. Does not quickly break to the throw. Slow locating the ball when his back is to the action. Timing and anticipation need improvement.

ANALYSIS: A forceful defender best facing the action, Williams' size, strength and marginal cornerback fundamentals all dictate a move to center field. Can make an immediate impact at safety in the NFL.

Uh yeah, if atlanta wants to make a trade for Williams, i would hope they consider it. IMHO Williams is perfect for a Bates system FS, and i consider him to be worthy of a 2nd round pick. Of course the Broncos have nothing to offer for him so, its irrelevant as a trade option. But they DO have guys the Broncos could use!!!
    Hmmm.... Ramsey to the falcons for Williams, and Culpepper is signed to a cheap deal by the Broncos to back up Cutler. Hmmmm......
    Maybe the Broncos throw in a draft pick as well...........
    Just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by socalorado1 View Post
    So this guy is not worthy of consideration?
    Jimmy Williams
    Position: FS
    Class: Sr
    School: Virginia Tech
    Conference: Atlantic Coast
    Ht., Wt.: 6-2.5, 213
    40 Time: 4.47
    Selected by: Atlanta Falcons
    Round 2, pick 5 (37th overall)
    BIO: Moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore. All-Conference cornerback the past two seasons totaling 44/1/6 as a senior after 60/5/14 the prior year. Sophomore totals included 114 tackles at free safety.

POSITIVES: Imposing defensive back who physically beats down opponents. Fluid transitioning off the line and easily out-muscles opponents to defend the pass. Quick up the field defending the run and possesses a burst of closing speed. Displays solid footwork in all directions and above-average ball skills.

NEGATIVES: Prefers to side-shuffle almost immediately off the snap. Does not quickly break to the throw. Slow locating the ball when his back is to the action. Timing and anticipation need improvement.

ANALYSIS: A forceful defender best facing the action, Williams' size, strength and marginal cornerback fundamentals all dictate a move to center field. Can make an immediate impact at safety in the NFL.

Uh yeah, if atlanta wants to make a trade for Williams, i would hope they consider it. IMHO Williams is perfect for a Bates system FS, and i consider him to be worthy of a 2nd round pick. Of course the Broncos have nothing to offer for him so, its irrelevant as a trade option. But they DO have guys the Broncos could use!!!
    Hmmm.... Ramsey to the falcons for Williams, and Culpepper is signed to a cheap deal by the Broncos to back up Cutler. Hmmmm......
    Maybe the Broncos throw in a draft pick as well...........
    Just a thought.....
    Ramsey for Williams isn't a thought... it's a pipe dream.
    RIP Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The_Roses_Thorn View Post
    Ramsey for Williams isn't a thought... it's a pipe dream.
    I'm workin with nothin here man, cut me some slack will ya?!?!?! (sarcasm on)

I wouldn't trade for Jimmy Williams... and why would we get him to play FS, does John Lynch not ring a bell? plus he obviously has some off the field issues he is dealing with, why get a potential problem? As for Dante Culpepper..HAHHAHA thats the biggest joke I've heard. Why would we get him? Just to have Jay looking over his shoulder wondering if he does something wrong we will put Culpepper in!! No way. We need a decent BACK-UP not a guy who thinks he can start. That would only cause problems for the progression of Culter. we don't need Jimmy Williams or Dante Culpepper. Plus the Falcons are looking for someone they think is better then Harrington not another career back-up guy. So there is no reason to try and make a trade for a gy that's going to be suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by RBDynasty View Post
    If you have no value for Bell what makes you think Atlanta or any other team would? Like you said.. "Bell is a UDFA who at most will end up a career backup."
    Mike Bell is likely a career backup in Denver, but with Dunn out and Norwood starting, that's exactly what the Falcons need - a reliable backup for Norwood. I was trying to point out that our trash is always someone else's treasure when it comes to RBs. Look at guys like Reuben Droughns, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, etc. These guys are always sought after when they leave us but before hand, nobody wants them (like Mike Bell).

As it stands now with several true FBs on the team, I'm betting Cecil the Diesel is going to run #2 this year, not Mike. Selvin Young or Andre Hall can be the #3. Bell is great to have around, but even if we got a 6th round pick for him that's still way more than we spent on him (which was nothing). He's that house that nobody wanted to buy but after a little "Bronco fixer upper" by learning from Bobby Turner I'm betting he'd look pretty good to a few buyers.

I can agree with that and I also agree that Young, Hall and Sapp should be enough for us and if anyone wanted to talk trade that included Bell I wouldn't be that upset. I never liked Bell to begin with. I think he runs to straight up and goes down way to easy. He has decent breakaway speed but he rarely breaks away!!!! All in all though we need nothing from the FALCONS but sending Bell somewhere for a draft pick would be fine to me!!

Jimmy Williams is my current favorite to become the next PacMan Jones, so I'm afraid I'd have to PASS on that. Come to think of it, the Falcons don't really have anybody I'd want. On second thought, Rod Coleman would be an upgrade over Gerard Warren, but he is virtually indispensible to them.

I really don't think our RB depth is that good, so I wouldn't trade any of them away. If Travis Henry goes down, I think we would be in trouble.
    Last edited by D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05; 07-27-2007 at 02:08 PM.