Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
You know, I really resent someone saying, "Don't mention _____ in the same
breath as _______ ." Sorry, but that is ridiculous. They are pros, they put on
their pants one leg at a time, and most have only two cajones.

Rod is my favorite Bronco. But I hesitate to say he is the best receiver we
ever had. That brings up memories of one Lionel Taylor. Anyway, I am not
going to say another receiver will never be as good or better than Rod.
Neither Stokley nor Marshall may be as good, but you never know. I believe
Javon is already better than Rod.

Now, please understand the gist of my comparison. I was making the point that
size is not necessarily a great determinant as to the quality of a blocker. It had
nothing to do with the general comparison of two receivers. So let's get off that
"don't compare with" kick.

-----

I've yet to hear anybody mention Javon Walker for the HOF. Does he have the skillset and athleticsm to be better than Rod? Yes! But so does Hixon. Same with Stokely, Morgan, and Marshall.

Its kind of like saying that Jay Cutler is the next Elway just b/c he has a strong arm. I realize you weren't saying anything of the sort and we're insinuating that Stokely was the next Rod Smith... but you did compare the two...as far as size anyhow.

You can resent away, but it's probably a good idea to get accustomed to the fact that I and several others will likely have differening opinions from time to time. For the record though, you'll probably end up with a whole lot of resentment and I doubt that will make for a fun experience in life... but do what you know!

IMO, Rod Smith is great b/c he believes in the following:

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson

Rod never took his playing career lightly. That's why you have so many right now that still will not count him out. He's overcome more adversity than most NFL players and he could go down as one of the best. Mental Attitude is what makes Rod...ROD!

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.
Vince Lombardi

Will/Heart/Soul, call it whatever you want. Rod was successful not b/c he was better than everybody else but b/c he wanted it more!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit.
Aristotle

Practice like you play b/c you will play like your practice.

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Rod knew that he was on the team year in and year out, yet he went out and practiced as though his job depended on it.